Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
thnom said:
This is how I look at it.

In the Rose Bowl Reggie Bush was apparently stuffed and gained 170 all purpose yards because the Texas D was fast. Had Vince Young has a fast defence in front of him, I think he'd have gotten stuffed. 4.58 is pretty unimpressive in terms of what people were thinking he'd be getting. I saw him and straight away I said he isn't that fast. "He's so big, it makes him long slower", etc. I said 4.6 time. 4.58 is closer to 4.6 than the 4.4 peeps were expecting.

You can say what you want about throwing and how many completions he got. His speed is the thing that makes him throw less, and that isn't that impressive. He isn't the "physical beast" people thought he was. Hell Matt Jones and HIS 6'6 frame who ran a 4.3 looks BEASTLY now.

You've obviously never seen him play outside the Rose Bowl.

40 times = Overrated, especially for a QB that has proven time and time again that he's an absolute physical specimen. Come back when you've maybe seen him play in a few other games.

Puck said:
whats idiotic is that some are arguing that Titan fans are pushing for the Titans to pick Cutler simply because he's a local product

there's quite a few others (fans / scouts / media / players) who are also very high on Cutler .... from all over the country

his alma mater has absolutely NOTHING to do with it
Jay has undoubtedly the strongest arm in the draft
thats why he has attention

So did Kyle Boller...:sad2:

KamikaZ said:
You've obviously never seen him play outside the Rose Bowl.

40 times = Overrated, especially for a QB that has proven time and time again that he's an absolute physical specimen. Come back when you've maybe seen him play in a few other games.

good to see you pulled yourself away from God of War long enough to visit us. :ha:

Get that english work done?

man, those 40 times look slow.

Everytime I watch someone on TV running, they just dont look fast.

btw what is a good standing long jump distance?

Who cares what he ran in the 40? Is there any question of his running ability? You can question some stuff, but Young is without question the best running QB, hands down, in the draft.

Puck said:
whats idiotic is that some are arguing that Titan fans are pushing for the Titans to pick Cutler simply because he's a local product

there's quite a few others (fans / scouts / media / players) who are also very high on Cutler .... from all over the country

his alma mater has absolutely NOTHING to do with it
Jay has undoubtedly the strongest arm in the draft
thats why he has attention

I agree, but Jay having the strongest arm in the draft is far from a certainty. He was out thrown in ball speed by Ingle Martin. There were several other qb's that were right below him.

'Some' Titans fans are pushing for Jay because he's a local product. I don't see how one could be so naive as to say that it wasn't a factor at all. It's also true that more people in Tennessee have seen him play in person and are thus better suited to evaluate him.

VolnTitan said:
Who cares what he ran in the 40? Is there any question of his running ability? You can question some stuff, but Young is without question the best running QB, hands down, in the draft.

Like I said in a previous thread, why do we even want him to run the 40 ? We've seen him take some of the fastest defenses in the country to school (Oklahoma, Ohio State, USC, etc). If he can run faster than Oklahoma or USC defenders (who will most likely turn out more than half their starters into the NFL), then what more does he need to run from ?

FightinTitan said:
Already we are hearing discrepancies in times and number of completed passes. Now we are hearing that Young did not attempt certain throws that the coaches, scouts, and GMs had wanted to see.

Scott Wright of NFL Draft Countdown said that VY didn't blow the scouts and coaches away with his performance today.

This is what worries me the most. I have no idea now what VY is really about, because there so many conflicting reports on his Pro-day, that I don't know if he did good or bad. That really bothers me, because after his workout he's still a huge questionmark to me

Edit:
Again a conflicting report from ESPN. However this time there is video so you can judge for yourself.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2380236

I still question whether Cutler will have any better luck running an NFL offense than Young, if that is a concern.

I have seen several instances where Cutler might have made an "amazing" completion only to see the review of the tape show he made a throw that i the NFL would easily have been either incomplete or an INT.

Who knows..maybe he ultimately turns out to be the best QB in the draft...but I think he is as big a risk as Young or anyone else at this point.

V-MAN said:
Ask AJ Hawk about VY's speed during the game. Oh wait....VY beat Ohio State with his arm....NEVER MIND.:winker:

AJ Hawk has speed question marks of his own. Using him is like using Anquan Boldin who clocked a 4.7. He's a good player but speed isn't their strong points.

thnom said:
AJ Hawk has speed question marks of his own. Using him is like using Anquan Boldin who clocked a 4.7. He's a good player but speed isn't their strong points.

Hawk was clocked at 4.49 and 4.42 during his pro day. My point was Ohio States defense is a fast defense. So your earlier point was negated.

But also I stated that VY beat them with his arm as well.

I am a little disappointed in VY's 40 time only because NFL defenses are going to be faster than college defenses and if he could have broken 4.5 that could have helped him.

As far as homerism I will go on record as saying IF I don't think Cutler was worthy of consideration as the #3 pick there is no way I would I would support him. It makes no difference if our QB comes from Mars as long as he can make all the throws, show great leadership and make good decisions with the football. If VY is determined to be the man by the coaching staff I have full confidence in them. I'm not sure VY dramatically hurt or helped himself in these workouts based on the combination of good and bad reports.

It was discussed on 104.5 this morning that VY was throwing the ball after the wr's had already made their break. According to Wycheck he said that won't cut in the NFL. You have to know when that wr is going to break.

Also VY's Pro Day was in a bubble where conditions are perfect vs Cutler's Pro day that was outside, cold and very windy.

Of course everyone of the top three teams are singing how great VY is. If they want to trade their pick down you aren't going to say he sucked. What would that get you in a trade.

Young's speed...

4.57 suggests only that he might be or is probably closer to mcnair and mcnabb coming out than say micheal vick. For a QB the 40 time doesn't matter quite as much what matters is his top speed when someone is chasing him. Maybe vince with those long legs doesn't get an explosive start but once he reaches top speed he is like a 4.4 guy.

Put a jugs gun on guys at the 20 yard mark of the 40 and see how fast they are actually moving. I bet young fares better by comparison. People call that an extra gear.

Edit: Espn just reported that he ran several 40s times from 4.49 to 4.58. Not bad at all.

From espn...

Salisbury gave young an A- grade and was impressed with his arm strength. He did express some concern with reading defenses when he takes a snap.

On the other hand some scouts wre less impressed. One of the complaints was throwing to receivers late.

Some say that the recievers were slow...??

He will be working with the Titan Recievers soon, hopefully it will clear up his throwing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back