Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I'm not sure what pickle juice these guys are drinking but it looks like we will go more to a 4-3 and use a 4 man front 60% or more of the time even as a 3-4 team. Every year it is the same. You tell them 1000 times and they still think this is a 3-4 team against the pass. We might not hardly use a NT (probably a 4-3 under) at all and the way I see it Autry was brought in to start at strong side DE. Dupree will play weak side and Landry will be used more in passing scenarios with Autry possibly moving to a 3. We brought Jim Schwartz in as a defensive advisor and he has never run a 3-4 in his life.

It definitely isn't a 4-3, either. It is more of a 2-4-5 or or 4-2-5 if you define stand up OLB's as part of the DL.

I’d call it a 4-2 with Dupree, Autry, Simmons, Landry across the front. Looks pretty good but we need more than that. Roberson is our 5th pass rusher and should never see the field in an ideal situation.

I just don't see it with Ojulari. I've watched him over and over trying to make myself like him, but he just seems like just another guy (I'm talking about as a 1st rounder).

Are there any mid round pass rushers you guys like?
Joseph Assai Texas I really like him in 2nd round.

Jordan Smith UAB is another in 3rd round.

Patrick Johnson Tulane

If you haven't watched him yet, check out Rashad Weaver from PITT. I love his game and we could probably get him in the 2nd or early 3rd.

I really am starting to like Carlos Basham. I would take him over Ojulari, Ossai, and Rousseau. If we could trade back to late 1st and then draft Basham, that's a win-win.

I'm a big believer in pass rush helps the secondary. I'd much prefer going pass rush in the 1st over CB unless there's a top 5-10 guy that falls. Even with Dupree and Landry being our starters, we still need depth and I would fully expect Vrabel and Co. to figure out a way to get all 3 on the field at the same time in pass rush situations.

If you haven't watched him yet, check out Rashad Weaver from PITT. I love his game and we could probably get him in the 2nd or early 3rd.

I really am starting to like Carlos Basham. I would take him over Ojulari, Ossai, and Rousseau. If we could trade back to late 1st and then draft Basham, that's a win-win.

I'm a big believer in pass rush helps the secondary. I'd much prefer going pass rush in the 1st over CB unless there's a top 5-10 guy that falls. Even with Dupree and Landry being our starters, we still need depth and I would fully expect Vrabel and Co. to figure out a way to get all 3 on the field at the same time in pass rush situations.

Boogie Basham is one of my faves. The dude is relentless!

Totally agree with pass rush over CB.

It definitely isn't a 4-3, either. It is more of a 2-4-5 or or 4-2-5 if you define stand up OLB's as part of the DL.

We probably run a 4-2-5, which is a 4-3 nickel, more than anything. It is really splitting straws since Landry or Dupree are more like standup DEs than they are LBs. People keep discussing a standard 3-4 which we use sparingly and probably less so going forward. The main thing will be to see how we use Autry. Is he more of a 3 tech or a strong side DE in a 4 man front.

We probably run a 4-2-5, which is a 4-3 nickel, more than anything. It is really splitting straws since Landry or Dupree are more like standup DEs than they are LBs. People keep discussing a standard 3-4 which we use sparingly and probably less so going forward. The main thing will be to see how we use Autry. Is he more of a 3 tech or a strong side DE in a 4 man front.
Autry might be our most impactful pickup in FA. He has proven that he can play inside or outside and make plays....I would think that he will play 3-4 DE in our base defense and then when we go to a 4 man front he will mainly play 3 technique. But when he played for the Raiders they would sometimes have Autry out wide and Mack inside and then let them stunt.

My real question with the roster formation is who plays the 1 technique in our base??? Tart is currently the starting NT. We certainly need to upgrade that spot and that is why I wouldn't be upset with Barmore or Onwuzurike (trade down)...Other option would be to play Simmons in the middle and draft a guy like Boogie Basham and let him play the 5 tech in base and then 3 Tech in our 4 man front look.

Autry played inside of Mack on the Raiders but they ran a bunch of stunts and mack occasionally stood up and moved around like we did with Clowney. Autry was basically a DT for the Raiders in their 4-3. He played some strong side DE for the Colts. He is not a 5 tech at all IMO and mostly a 3 tech of DT which is why I see us playing more of a 4-3, 4-2 alignment. Probably used as a DE in the base and as a DT in passing scenarios with Landry and Dupree on the outside.

We also don't need a 1 tech if we are playing more of a 4-3. It would be nice to have a guy like Jones we could insert with Simmons when we do need to stop the run but I'm not sure that 1 tech is a big concern. So forget the idea we are even going to use a NT. Obviously we need to wait and see. IMO if we were to draft Barmore it is to have him play DT in a 4-3 which is one reason I could see him being considered. You get Jones like run stopping ability along with some pass rush. His value is that like Simmons he can be good at both.

Autry played inside of Mack on the Raiders but they ran a bunch of stunts and mack occasionally stood up and moved around like we did with Clowney. Autry was basically a DT for the Raiders in their 4-3. He played some strong side DE for the Colts. He is not a 5 tech at all IMO and mostly a 3 tech of DT which is why I see us playing more of a 4-3, 4-2 alignment. Probably used as a DE in the base and as a DT in passing scenarios with Landry and Dupree on the outside.

We also don't need a 1 tech if we are playing more of a 4-3. It would be nice to have a guy like Jones we could insert with Simmons when we do need to stop the run but I'm not sure that 1 tech is a big concern. So forget the idea we are even going to use a NT. Obviously we need to wait and see. IMO if we were to draft Barmore it is to have him play DT in a 4-3 which is one reason I could see him being considered. You get Jones like run stopping ability along with some pass rush. His value is that like Simmons he can be good at both.

I do not think that we are switching to a 4-3 defense. We will be in a traditional 3-4 look in early downs and then go 4-3 on passing downs. In our base set, Autry would most certainly be a DE playing in more of a 5 tech....now unlike the traditional 3-4 where the job of the down lineman was just to occupy blockers and let the LBers run free our 3-4 asks for the DL to penetrate more. In passing situations Autry moves down to DT. I feel that we need 3 solid guys who can be that penetrating type of DT and also play DE in our 3-4 base package so that we can keep them fresh throughout the game.

We saw the key to beating kc. Rush with 4 or 5. Now, they overhauled their line, but the same principle applies. We will definitely go edge rush or interior rusher early. I'm just not sure it will be Thursday night.

You seem hell bent on saying we play the 4-3. So yeah, if a 2 man front with 5 db's is the 4-3, then we play a lot of 4-3.

Heck, you could say that we play the 4-3 defense on offense. It looks a little different since we have to handle the ball, but it is the 4-3 defense.

A true 3-4 is an alignment where you basically have 5 man fronts. We played little of that because it isn't the best formation stopping the pass. We saw Jones playing a bunch of DT. Now a 4-3 under isn't much different than a 3-4. It is a four man front with the strong side LB playing on the LOS and it utilizes a DT in the one gap (Jones last year).

But with that said, I'm talking about what I think we will be doing. As in the future. .

We saw the key to beating kc. Rush with 4 or 5. Now, they overhauled their line, but the same principle applies. We will definitely go edge rush or interior rusher early. I'm just not sure it will be Thursday night.

I still keep thinking how good Barmore would be in this defense basically giving us one of the best DL in football. We would have two DTs that can stuff the run and still pressure the QB. We would have flexibility to go 3-4, 4-3 or rotate DL in a 4-2-5 (Autry moving inside, Barmore capable of spelling Simmons).

My thinking is that interior DL is not very strong this draft and we can still get WR, CB, OT after we draft Baremore. We could potentially get a decent pass rush from our front 4 taking a tremendous amount of pressure off the back side guys not to mention putting welts on the QBs head. Another guy even close to Simmons would be ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back