Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
mario williams is not the best player in the draft, he's the best athlete. sorry. with all of his size and speed he managed less than 30 sacks as a three year starter. that doesnt impress me, when terrell suggs had 20+ in one year.

RollTide, the difference is I don't believe GM's rank players solely on their individual abilities and skills. I believe Hawk for instance is ranked lower this year, than he would be in a different year, because there are so many other really good LB's in this draft. Considering we just signed David Thornton he probably moves another few places down Reese's board.

Metal957 Rankings

1. Reggie Bush - Fixes our RB Position for Years
2. Vince Young/Matt Leinart - Both Proven Winners (Let Reese figure that out)
3. Mario Wiliams - Someone nice to Make our D Line one of the best
4. D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Secures our LT position For years to come
5. AJ Hawk - He is stout enough to play MLB
6. DeAngelo Williams - All Around RB who can do it all and at a consistent basis
7. Michael Huff - Bye Lamont
8. Haloti Ngata - He and Fat Albert Enough said

Vigsted...

Assuming reese has a big board of the best players he would likely rate them as prospects first without regard to need. A big board is a ranking of players as prospects as they compare to each other. Need wouldn't move a guy down it just makes it less neccessary to draft him.

Bigtitan...

Why would you compare suggs a 260 lbs speed rushing 3-4 linebacker to a guy who is almost 300 lbs? Williams is 35 lbs heavier and 4 inches taller and runs a similar 40.

Williams was very productive this past season with 13.5 sacks and 23.5 tackles for loss. He played well enough in 2004 to make all acc.

This guy is more a kevin carter type player. A big physical defensive end that would allow us to move KVB over and make us stronger against the run.

RollTide said:
This guy is more a kevin carter type player. A big physical defensive end that would allow us to move KVB over and make us stronger against the run.

That's a pretty good comparison actually. He is not anywhere near as quick as a Freeney, a Kearse, a Peppers or a Suggs. All those guys are mid-4.4 guys. Mario Williams is not going to rack up big sack totals. As someone has already mentioned, he wasn't all that productive on the college level in terms of sacks either.

Would Kevin Carter be worth the #3 pick overall?

Carpy said:
funny you should mention that. we had the opportunity to draft carter at 3 instead of mcnair in 1995. obviously we took mcnair and rams took carter at 6.

it will probably end up being the same this year, IMO.

Carpy said:
That's a pretty good comparison actually. He is not anywhere near as quick as a Freeney, a Kearse, a Peppers or a Suggs. All those guys are mid-4.4 guys. Mario Williams is not going to rack up big sack totals. As someone has already mentioned, he wasn't all that productive on the college level in terms of sacks either.

LOL wasnt it kevin carter and mcnair that Reese and Fish had to choose between last time we had the 3rd pick? Maybe that means if a few years we'll have both the top qb and DE. :))

That's incredibly ironic.

Actualy look at that draft- there are a few similarities.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_NFL_Draft

RB
T
QB
:suspect:
;)

bigtitan53279 said:
funny you should mention that. we had the opportunity to draft carter at 3 instead of mcnair in 1995. obviously we took mcnair and rams took carter at 6.

it will probably end up being the same this year, IMO.

doh :doh:

you beat me to it. Great minds think a like i suppose.

Carpy said:

Well when he came into the league it was as the 6th overall.

Williams vs peppers...

Better tell momma to warm up some milk. You guys will need it after you see this..

Part one:

Peppers(2002) vs williams(2005)...combine stats

Peppers was listed at 6'7 283 lbs........williams at 6'7 295

Peppers 4.75 40...............williams 4.66 40

Peppers 24 reps of 225 lbs...williams 35 reps

Peppers 36 1/2 inch vertical jump.....williams 40 1/2 inches

Any questions?
---------------
Part 2

Yes i know williams is just a great workout guy right? Didn't get it done on the field?

Peppers final season at north carolina..63 tackles....9.5 sacks....19 tackles for loss

Williams final year at NC state...62 tackles.....14 sacks.....24 tackles for loss..

Same conference same level of opposition.

Note: The 14 sacks 24 tfl numbers are the offical NC state team stats from 2005. Some sources have him with 13.5 and 23.5 which is why you see 2 different numbers on the net.

We have to appreciate how extraordinary this guy is. 6'7 guys hardly never do well in the bench press because of their long arms but williams finished in the top 5 for the whole combine.

Why do you think Williams couldn't get big sack numbers anyways ? Strength is just as much a factor as speed...

Did you ever watch Reggie White or Michael Strahan play ?

So is intensity and instinct. I remember reading a pre-season publication on Williams that questioned his instincts and his intensity and based on his production to that point, they seemed legitimate concerns.

PragIdealist said:
LOL wasnt it kevin carter and mcnair that Reese and Fish had to choose between last time we had the 3rd pick? Maybe that means if a few years we'll have both the top qb and DE. :))

That's incredibly ironic.

Better not be after we LOSE a Superbowl, this time. :irked:

RollTide, I don't question his amazing stats, but the thing that I've heard about him is that he's "streaky". I forget the numbers, but of his career sacks, they came in a small number of games. There were big gaps where he wasn't productive. He's certainly got all the potential to be amazing. The question is, can he be consistent at the next level. I think a big part of deciding whether or not to pick him would be from interviews and personality analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back