Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
at its root NOW is an excellent point in the season to punt a GM... the whole world knows you have a vacancy and, unless you wanted to keep the failed GM for some reason, the scouts are prepping for the draft currently. why would you want the failed GM's fingerprints on the upcoming draft???

And it is a service to JRob as well. He'll land somewhere else. Right now he is at the top of every other team that is looking for another GM. The business is cyclical. AAS even stated that her timing was to help him down the road as well.

Well they didn't have an owner who pulled this crap at that time. I have no idea how competitive it was to hire Robinson, but for a sure-fire improvement over him, it's going to be extremely competitive and tough to convince them to join you over other teams. Adding an irrational owner to the list of disadvantages the Titans have is going to hurt them.
Well, if there were 32 openings you might have a point. The scarcity of these jobs will attract a good candidate. Any decent candidate will think he can make an immediate impact and not be worried about getting fired before he starts. The fact that there are so few openings every year for GMs makes this attractive to the next guy.

Remind me who hired JRob again?

And I've been around this team for years. Followed them through the cycle. If you're going to the route of W/L JRob's didn't get past the AFC championship. He didn't get it done like Floyd Reese. You're right about a slump '05-15- except the CJ2K year with Fisher. That slump arose out of many years of 9-7, 8-8, and cap hell from McNair, Eddie, Wychek, Mason, Rolle. That is just where we are now with JRob. You're boy shot his cap wad and missed last year. It happens. We're in rebuild BECAUSE of JRob. And his horrific early round draft misses. So when we slump- get it straight. It was not because JRob is gone. It is because he was HERE the last 3 years.

I liked JRob OK- still do. But after he let Conklin walk, he spent WAY WAY too much trying to make up for it on the OL. And he never got it back to where it should be. And our CB and pass rush are STILL in need of help. And he spent a ton on that as well. He's an average GM that missed horribly in the past few years and now we've got to fix his mess.

AAS is not Bud Adams, but she does have some of the best parts about him. She wants to be proud of what her business produces. SHE has turned this franchise around to use your words, not JRob. She hired him. She approved of Vrabel. She got the NFL Draft to Nashville. She helped secure a new stadium for 2026. It isn't easy firing somebody you like, and I'm certain she liked JRob. But business is business and JRob wasn't taking care of business. Tough call, I stand behind her decision.

You've already stated you didn't get interested in to Titans until they started this recent run. Go on to the next team on the upswing if that's what you're about. Otherwise get onboard or get out.
Her first year as controlling owner, the team went 2-14. Her first move after firing Whisenhunt was hiring a HC with an 18-39 record. There were several candidates who wouldn't consider the job because she required them to work with Mularkey. She immediately set the team up for failure.

To her credit, she improved dramatically with Robinson running the football operations. And I applaud her for wanting to raise the bar even more. I think she overplayed her hand, and it's very likely that she's still the owner who turned away quality candidates with her decision making early on. But time will tell.

In the end, AAS should realize that the "in-house" policy of hiring is chit. Like I said way early in this thread, it's a good thing for promoting internally inside the organization, but it doesn't work that well in football matters. The only problem is that all you see every offseason is the same ole retread coaches moving from team to team. That's why I liked Vrable when he was hired. He was new to head coaching circuit and had coaching experience. Unlike Jeff Saturday lolz.

And Farley
And Wilson
And Conklin
And Amon Ra/Dez
And Dupree
And Clowney
And Beasley
And Julio
And Decker
And….
I cant help but wonder how much input Vrabel had on these guys.... Surely JRob wasnt just sitting there making all the picks. Yes I know the AJ trade was JRob, but other than that, I dont believe for one second that Vrabel didnt ask for some of these guys.

Also, it is really funny how many people on this board were creaming over some of these guys that "JRob picked" when we first signed them. Now it is all I HATED THAT GUY JROB WAS AN IDIOT!

I cant help but wonder how much input Vrabel had on these guys.... Surely JRob wasnt just sitting there making all the picks. Yes I know the AJ trade was JRob, but other than that, I dont believe for one second that Vrabel didnt ask for some of these guys.

Also, it is really funny how many people on this board were creaming over some of these guys that "JRob picked" when we first signed them. Now it is all I HATED THAT GUY JROB WAS AN IDIOT!
That’s why we should fire some of the fans too. Fair is fair.

I hate all the picks... they are all bad and will bust... I am right like 90% of the time

LOL

You are right. I wanted Clowney and he was terrible what little time he actually played

Will McClay, the Dallas guy sounds interesting, good track record with first round picks...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/titansized.com/2023/01/02/tennessee-titans-closer-selecting-gm/amp/

I think this would be a great hire. McClay was born in Memphis and grew up in the Houston area and played ball at Rice. He has worked his way up through the scouting ranks with the Cowboys....however much you hate the Cowboys you have to admit that drafting 1st rnders is something they do well....10 of their past 12 1st rnders have earned pro bowl status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back