Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like Dallas shouldn't have any problem finding a good HC, since they are the top sports team in the entire world. Yet they are forced to hire mediocre ones, because the good ones don't want to deal with the owner. A good candidate is going to have plenty of options beyond Tennessee.
Nah, Dallas is one of the best coaching jobs in the NFL despite Jerry Jones. Nobody forced them to keep Jason Garrett for a decade and in their most recent HC hiring cycle McCarthy was probably the best of the bunch minus Stefanaski (Matt Rhule, Joe Judge, and Ron Riveria being the other hires).

And like said before, there are only 32 GM jobs. Every young rising executive is frothing at the mouth to become one of them.

Nah, Dallas is one of the best coaching jobs in the NFL despite Jerry Jones. Nobody forced them to keep Jason Garrett for a decade and in their most recent HC hiring cycle McCarthy was probably the best of the bunch minus Stefanaski (Matt Rhule, Joe Judge, and Ron Riveria being the other hires).

And like said before, there are only 32 GM jobs. Every young rising executive is frothing at the mouth to become one of them.
He was hired because he's the best the Cowboys can do . There is a reason he was sitting on his couch for a year before he received interest from anyone.

Likewise, Adams is going to be picking from mediocre candidates that nobody else wants. People who just want a job and don't mind being fired in a public and humiliating way when the boss wants to pull a publicity stunt. Very unlikely a bright up and coming guy will bet their career and their family's lives on working for someone like that. These people work for decades to get these positions.

He was hired because he's the best the Cowboys can do . There is a reason he was sitting on his couch for a year before he received interest from anyone.

Likewise, Adams is going to be picking from mediocre candidates that nobody else wants. People who just want a job and don't mind being fired in a public and humiliating way when the boss wants to pull a publicity stunt. Very unlikely a bright up and coming guy will bet their career and their family's lives on working for someone like that. These people work for decades to get these positions.
This is such a weird outlandish take lol is it parody? I can't actually tell

A take born of years of Titan letdown. Not accurate and unrealistic, but came crawling out of the sickness that is Titanitis.
I actually didn't start following the Titans until Robinson took over. There was no need to follow a loser franchise. It actually started being run like a respectable organization when he took over, and now this

Ask yourself why you've never heard of a GM being fired in the middle of a winning season after 3 consecutive playoffs appearances before. The answer isn't, "Because Amy Adams has higher standards than other teams". This move reeks of a toxic and unstable working situation and you're being disingenuous if you think quality candidates are going to just shrug that little detail off.

Based on information and players available at the time, I honestly think trading up and picking Dez over Amon Ra was Robinsons greatest draft mistake.

That's what the occupancy of the bathrooms at the new stadium will look like once the Titans go back to trash after Robinson.
They’ll be trash next year because of Robinson. He shot his cap wad on injured players that don’t produce. And blew the cheap players that are supposed via early round draft picks. We have nothing in the cupboard. Why you think he was crying last year?

I actually didn't start following the Titans until Robinson took over. There was no need to follow a loser franchise. It actually started being run like a respectable organization when he took over, and now this

Ask yourself why you've never heard of a GM being fired in the middle of a winning season after 3 consecutive playoffs appearances before. The answer isn't, "Because Amy Adams has higher standards than other teams". This move reeks of a toxic and unstable working situation and you're being disingenuous if you think quality candidates are going to just shrug that little detail off.
I think it was an emotional reaction and not much point at this point in the season. But it was justified. He was inconsistent in his approach to both evaluating players and resigning them. The backwards roster movement is on him. The scarcity of GM jobs will draw quality candidates - just as it did Robinson.

I partly agree with abc2330. You gain nothing by firing him now. It's not like the interim GM is going to bring in amazing talent to fix our problems in the playoffs. Unless you plan on hiring a new GM before the season is over and give him the possibility to clean house and bring on his own guys, but I don't see that happening.

Based on information and players available at the time, I honestly think trading up and picking Dez over Amon Ra was Robinsons greatest draft mistake.
For sure, Dez was projected as a 7th/udfa, Brown was projected as a 2-3 round pick...not taking Brown in the 4th was bad.
JRob made so many draft mistakes, it happens with all teams but...

Trading up to get RT of the future in Conklin and then not picking up his 5th year option and losing him in FA

Drafting Corey Davis over Mike Williams, hindsight on our part but I'm sure it rots Amy's nylons when she sees the stats

Panda, Farley

Tbh I'm glad JRob is gone..cry away Jonny boy

I partly agree with abc2330. You gain nothing by firing him now. It's not like the interim GM is going to bring in amazing talent to fix our problems in the playoffs. Unless you plan on hiring a new GM before the season is over and give him the possibility to clean house and bring on his own guys, but I don't see that happening.

I can see a shake up in the scouting positions. The interim GM will have some insight as to the colossal blunders with Wilson, Farley, Dodd as well as what happened with the Clowney, Beasley, etc and the Dupree contract.

It also puts our name in the hat for other potential GM/scouting talent that is seeking a promotion but is trapped in their current lesser position with other teams. It is the complete opposite of when Bud fired Fisher late in season and had to pass off the job to Munchak from within. Same with Mularkey.

And you're right. It really doesn't make a difference in this year. But the trade deadline is long passed and we've about picked off any recognizable talent from the practice squads. It's a service to JRob also, as he will more likely land another job. So I don't really understand all the "head-scratching" about the timing. This current roster isn't going past the division playoff- and making that isn't certain.

For sure, Dez was projected as a 7th/udfa, Brown was projected as a 2-3 round pick...not taking Brown in the 4th was bad.
JRob made so many draft mistakes, it happens with all teams but...

Trading up to get RT of the future in Conklin and then not picking up his 5th year option and losing him in FA

Drafting Corey Davis over Mike Williams, hindsight on our part but I'm sure it rots Amy's nylons when she sees the stats

Panda, Farley

Tbh I'm glad JRob is gone..cry away Jonny boy
Yeah- the Conklin thing was really really big. We traded away a large portion of the "king's ransom", apparently hit on a decent RT only to then let him walk. And waste countless other early draft picks on fliers to make up for that mistake. (Wilson, Radunz, trading for Dennis Kelly, etc).

Top candidates to replace Jon Robinson as Titans GM

Don’t see the point in firing JRob if you’re going to promote from within, but it is the Titans after all. From that list, I think Borgonzi would be my top pick. Definitely don’t want a re-tread like Jeff Ireland or Rick Smith
gives you options... can always go inhouse but now you can line up interviews without anyone being a jerk & undermining robinson

You can’t overpay underproductive FAs and miss on early rounder picks and let your proven talent get away from the team. And keep your job as GM. JRob was azz the past few years. He was a little above average early, he landed Vrabel and had us in a position last year with depth, but it didn’t get better this year due to his misses. The window slammed shut. We just happen to be in a doodoo division.
and publicly state you had no clue how you were gonna pay Simmons... even if you had a double secret plan to pay Simmons

prepping for draft is going on NOW... that is why robinson had to go... he was in position to poison the 23 draft and he had to be removed from the equation

and publicly state you had no clue how you were gonna pay Simmons... even if you had a double secret plan to pay Simmons

Robinson got AAS involved in the drafting of Simmons. They had a press conference to vouch for him. She met the man, and seemed to like and respect him. She was personally invested in him to some degree. And then Robinson told her they couldn't re-sign him due to to cap issues (that he created) .

I personally can see thus as a much bigger rift than the AJ Brown stuff.

Having said that, I still suspect that there is some personal issue at work here as well. Something was going on the last few years that seemed to affect Robinson's decision making.

Titans hired Todd Downing as TE Coach in 2019. The 2020 draft is when they picked Isiah Wilson and when the drafting and free agent signings started heading south in a hurry. Perhaps Downing’s lack of ability is infectious, or perhaps he turned JRob into an alcoholic like himself. We’ll never know.

I can see a shake up in the scouting positions. The interim GM will have some insight as to the colossal blunders with Wilson, Farley, Dodd as well as what happened with the Clowney, Beasley, etc and the Dupree contract.

It also puts our name in the hat for other potential GM/scouting talent that is seeking a promotion but is trapped in their current lesser position with other teams. It is the complete opposite of when Bud fired Fisher late in season and had to pass off the job to Munchak from within. Same with Mularkey.

And you're right. It really doesn't make a difference in this year. But the trade deadline is long passed and we've about picked off any recognizable talent from the practice squads. It's a service to JRob also, as he will more likely land another job. So I don't really understand all the "head-scratching" about the timing. This current roster isn't going past the division playoff- and making that isn't certain.
Fisher quit because he couldn’t hire his son. He wasn’t fired. Fisher screwed us by waiting so late to do it that it was tough finding a quality coach.

This could have been done internally, quietly. It happens all of the time with GMs- responsibilities are shifted, they are offered some "Head of Football Operations" position and someone else assumes the duties he once had.

Firing him mid season is like promoting Jeff Saturday from not coaching to being HC. There's a reason no team has ever done this before, ever. You all seem to acknowledge that there was little to gain this year and this was mainly done as a "final straw" after the Eagles game. But you don't seem to acknowledge how much that of a turnoff that kind of emotional reaction is to those executive types, and why they're going to want to steer clear. They aren't nitpicky fans, they see a GM who completely turned the organization around, is on the way to the playoffs yet again, and was still embarrassed by the owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back