Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
This could have been done internally, quietly. It happens all of the time with GMs- responsibilities are shifted, they are offered some "Head of Football Operations" position and someone else assumes the duties he once had.

Firing him mid season is like promoting Jeff Saturday from not coaching to being HC. There's a reason no team has ever done this before, ever. You all seem to acknowledge that there was little to gain this year and this was mainly done as a "final straw" after the Eagles game. But you don't seem to acknowledge how much that of a turnoff that kind of emotional reaction is to those executive types, and why they're going to want to steer clear. They aren't nitpicky fans, they see a GM who completely turned the organization around, is on the way to the playoffs yet again, and was still embarrassed by the owner.
Jon I have to disagree. Your 23 draft board clearly was closer to a MASH unit than a football roster

This could have been done internally, quietly. It happens all of the time with GMs- responsibilities are shifted, they are offered some "Head of Football Operations" position and someone else assumes the duties he once had.

Firing him mid season is like promoting Jeff Saturday from not coaching to being HC. There's a reason no team has ever done this before, ever. You all seem to acknowledge that there was little to gain this year and this was mainly done as a "final straw" after the Eagles game. But you don't seem to acknowledge how much that of a turnoff that kind of emotional reaction is to those executive types, and why they're going to want to steer clear. They aren't nitpicky fans, they see a GM who completely turned the organization around, is on the way to the playoffs yet again, and was still embarrassed by the owner.

I think you're the only one that credits JRob soley with turning the organization around. AAS is a good owner. She gave JRob the job with a starting QB at the time and a "king's ransom" of picks, lots of cap space to get it going. You give JRob WAY too much credit. He did a little above average but squandered away a lot of that draft capital. And then he blew our cap space on injured vets while blowing the last few years draft. His body of work wasn't as great as you say. And most of the pundits are saying he needed to go because of the aforementioned blunders.

You want to blast AAS rather than give her credit. She hired JRob. She fired Mularkey to bring Vrabel in. She recognized the recent poor performance, the required re-build and did him a favor by letting him go. Yes- she probably was embarrassed as was have of our fanbase watching the best WR we've ever landed get away from and then kick our teeth in on TV. But she stated it wasn't the main reason in her pressers. I choose AAS over JRob 100 out of 100 times.

I always thought of it as the HC gets hired and on the assumption the HC gets the leeway of picking his staff, not that I ever saw this printed out anywhere.

What does make me feel a little differently about that is the positional, assistant, and other odds and ends coaches (like strength and conditioning) that doesn’t seem to change with a new HC. If I recall, Carter, our awful OL coach was in Tennessee before Vrabel, although I may be mistaken.
I also don’t really see a lot of advertising as to who the WR or QB or DB coaches are, only HC, OC, and DC, maybe ST or when a big name former HC or Coord is hired as asst or “consultant”. So very possible all those change with the HC too, just goes fairly unnoticed.
Yes. Not sure of the complete list but one of my neighbors I talk to often is Luke Steckel. He was on the staff under Mularkey (maybe before) as assistant WR coach. He is now the TE coach. There may be other “leftover” from past staffs.

I think you're the only one that credits JRob soley with turning the organization around. AAS is a good owner. She gave JRob the job with a starting QB at the time and a "king's ransom" of picks, lots of cap space to get it going. You give JRob WAY too much credit. He did a little above average but squandered away a lot of that draft capital. And then he blew our cap space on injured vets while blowing the last few years draft. His body of work wasn't as great as you say. And most of the pundits are saying he needed to go because of the aforementioned blunders.

You want to blast AAS rather than give her credit. She hired JRob. She fired Mularkey to bring Vrabel in. She recognized the recent poor performance, the required re-build and did him a favor by letting him go. Yes- she probably was embarrassed as was have of our fanbase watching the best WR we've ever landed get away from and then kick our teeth in on TV. But she stated it wasn't the main reason in her pressers. I choose AAS over JRob 100 out of 100 times.
You spend a lot of money on ticket and can be as critical as you want to be. But you clearly don't have realistic expectations when it comes to the GM position. The W/L record is the measure of how the roster stacks up to others, not the nitpicking you're doing. Every team has its combination of good and bad moves, and his resulted in a team which hasn't had a losing record in his 7 years, a rare feat in the NFL. If the message she delivered with her timing of this move was that the GM isn't allowed to make mistakes, then it's going to bomb miserably with potential candidates

AAS was 2-14 as the controlling owner prior to Robinson. Mularkey 18-39. Mariota 2-7. He took a bunch of losers and turned it into a consistent winner. Keep your energy about Robinson's mistakes with the next GM. Though I don't expect you to learn anything as the team becomes a doormat yet again.

Last edited by a moderator:
You spend a lot of money on ticket and can be as critical as you want to be. But you clearly don't have realistic expectations when it comes to the GM position. The W/L record is the measure of how the roster stacks up to others, not the nitpicking you're doing. Every team has its combination of good and bad moves, and his resulted in a team which hasn't had a losing record in his 7 years, a rare feat in the NFL.

AAS was 2-14 as the controlling owner prior to Robinson. Mularkey 18-39. Mariota 2-7. He took a bunch of losers and turned it into a consistent winner. Keep your energy about Robinson's mistakes with the next GM. Though I don't expect you to learn anything as the team becomes a doormat yet again.
We've turned into that bunch of losers again...some of that is on Robinson

We've turned into that bunch of losers again...some of that is on Robinson
What defines "loser"? The team has had a comical number of injuries. They were playing well, had a playoff spot in the bag and looked competitive against top teams like KC and Cincinnati before they started having to roll with their practice squad players.

People need to realize the Titans was one of the worst jobs in the NFL. The team is relatively new and has no relevant history. The fanbase is non-existent. The only thing going for it is the recent momentum they've had, which gave the impression of it being professional and well-run, and Adams a likeable owner. Had she handled this like any other owner, she may have been able to attract top tier GMs previously out of our league. This midseason stunt ruined the appeal they had going for them, and it will impact the quality of candidates we attract; like RWill showed, Ruston Webster is still in the game and taking interviews.

What defines "loser"? The team has had a comical number of injuries. They were playing well, had a playoff spot in the bag and looked competitive against top teams like KC and Cincinnati before they started having to roll with their practice squad players.

People need to realize the Titans was one of the worst jobs in the NFL. The team is relatively new and has no relevant history. The fanbase is non-existent. The only thing going for it is the recent momentum they've had, which gave the impression of it being professional and well-run, and Adams a likeable owner. Had she handled this like any other owner, she may have been able to attract top tier GMs previously out of our league. This midseason stunt ruined the appeal they had going for them, and it will impact the quality of candidates we attract; like RWill showed, Ruston Webster is still in the game and taking interviews.
If the titans job is so crappy and unappealing how did we get jrob to begin with.....? especially when we were a newer franchise at the time, in a much worse spot, without a new stadium in the works......?

If the titans job is so crappy and unappealing how did we get jrob to begin with.....? especially when we were a newer franchise at the time, in a much worse spot, without a new stadium in the works......?
Well they didn't have an owner who pulled this crap at that time. I have no idea how competitive it was to hire Robinson, but for a sure-fire improvement over him, it's going to be extremely competitive and tough to convince them to join you over other teams. Adding an irrational owner to the list of disadvantages the Titans have is going to hurt them.

Well they didn't have an owner who pulled this crap at that time. I have no idea how competitive it was to hire Robinson, but for a sure-fire improvement over him, it's going to be extremely competitive and tough to convince them to join you over other teams. Adding an irrational owner to the list of disadvantages the Titans have is going to hurt them.
There is no "sure-fire improvement". And when it comes down to it, however irrational her firing was it doesn't really matter, everyone in the NFL gets fired at some point. No one is looking at the titans gm job going "nah I'm gonna pass on that because they fired jrob midseason". All other things being equal (location, money, talent etc.) Maybe that factors in. But it's very unlikely it's costing us any real candidates.

calm down Jon

I swear I think it’s him. I’ve never seen anyone take something so personal.
at its root NOW is an excellent point in the season to punt a GM... the whole world knows you have a vacancy and, unless you wanted to keep the failed GM for some reason, the scouts are prepping for the draft currently. why would you want the failed GM's fingerprints on the upcoming draft???

There is no "sure-fire improvement". And when it comes down to it, however irrational her firing was it doesn't really matter, everyone in the NFL gets fired at some point. No one is looking at the titans gm job going "nah I'm gonna pass on that because they fired jrob midseason". All other things being equal (location, money, talent etc.) Maybe that factors in. But it's very unlikely it's costing us any real candidates.
Thanks for actually addressing what I was saying. People are making this all about how I feel about J Rob, including some homoerotic projection from GOT. I think his mistakes in FA and letting his own players go were deadly, and seems to be a common theme with him. Moving on was justified, I just think the way it was done was a problem. But we'll see if you're right. Hopefully it has no impact on the future search.

You spend a lot of money on ticket and can be as critical as you want to be. But you clearly don't have realistic expectations when it comes to the GM position. The W/L record is the measure of how the roster stacks up to others, not the nitpicking you're doing. Every team has its combination of good and bad moves, and his resulted in a team which hasn't had a losing record in his 7 years, a rare feat in the NFL. If the message she delivered with her timing of this move was that the GM isn't allowed to make mistakes, then it's going to bomb miserably with potential candidates

Remind me who hired JRob again?

And I've been around this team for years. Followed them through the cycle. If you're going to the route of W/L JRob's didn't get past the AFC championship. He didn't get it done like Floyd Reese. You're right about a slump '05-15- except the CJ2K year with Fisher. That slump arose out of many years of 9-7, 8-8, and cap hell from McNair, Eddie, Wychek, Mason, Rolle. That is just where we are now with JRob. You're boy shot his cap wad and missed last year. It happens. We're in rebuild BECAUSE of JRob. And his horrific early round draft misses. So when we slump- get it straight. It was not because JRob is gone. It is because he was HERE the last 3 years.

I liked JRob OK- still do. But after he let Conklin walk, he spent WAY WAY too much trying to make up for it on the OL. And he never got it back to where it should be. And our CB and pass rush are STILL in need of help. And he spent a ton on that as well. He's an average GM that missed horribly in the past few years and now we've got to fix his mess.

AAS is not Bud Adams, but she does have some of the best parts about him. She wants to be proud of what her business produces. SHE has turned this franchise around to use your words, not JRob. She hired him. She approved of Vrabel. She got the NFL Draft to Nashville. She helped secure a new stadium for 2026. It isn't easy firing somebody you like, and I'm certain she liked JRob. But business is business and JRob wasn't taking care of business. Tough call, I stand behind her decision.

You've already stated you didn't get interested in to Titans until they started this recent run. Go on to the next team on the upswing if that's what you're about. Otherwise get onboard or get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back