Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were an up and coming GM, my biggest concern is if I would have the full power of a GM, or if I am just being hired to be Vrabel's scapegoat.

If I am hired, can I go tell Vrabel, fire Downing and Carter today? Or does Vrabel get to tell me, this is my draft and fa list, go get them or I will be talking to AAS?
AAS openly said that HC and GM are two separate jobs that take separate skills. Vrabs will have say just like he did with JRob.

In other words, the GM will be the GM and the HC will be the HC. All of this Vrabel is running things now stuff is overblown.

If I were an up and coming GM, my biggest concern is if I would have the full power of a GM, or if I am just being hired to be Vrabel's scapegoat.

If I am hired, can I go tell Vrabel, fire Downing and Carter today? Or does Vrabel get to tell me, this is my draft and fa list, go get them or I will be talking to AAS?
that is a fair question

As I said, I feel like the Titans is a very attractive job. Great HC, a couple of good pieces in place... A lot of room for cuts to make cap space.

Plus, I'm sure the millions of dollars they earn no matter what is pretty attractive.
All of the attractive things about the job that you mentioned are bc of the GM who just got fired. Which would lead one to ask, what exactly are the expectations when I take this job? You can't have a few good years and decide you are a top dog in the league and take these unprecedented actions. This team doesn't have the brand or the market value to make this move and still attract top talent

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the attractive things about the job that you mentioned are bc of the GM who just got fired. Which would lead one to ask, what exactly are the expectations when I take this job? You can't have a few good years and decide you are a top dog in the league and take these unprecedented actions. This team doesn't have the brand or the market value to make this move and still attract top talent
Bare minimum to me, is you cannot strike out with first round picks like he did. If Wilson was it, ok. If Farley was it, ok. But add everyone outside Conklin and Simmons, and the lack of quality first round contributor directly contributed to the salary cap issues trying to make up for those bad picks.

What’s worse, is the selection to fill those holes. Conklin was briefly replaced with undertaker, been a mess since. Tons of money was given to Lewan partly in a choice between paying L or R T while paying Saffold (not a bad Fa).

All the while, considering the style the titans play, ie run the ball and play d, there has to be some sort of urgency on a K in what can be expected as low scoring hard fought battles each week. Complete miss about 6 kickers over with little attention given to actually fix the mess.

l-is-for-loser-prints.jpg

Bare minimum to me, is you cannot strike out with first round picks like he did. If Wilson was it, ok. If Farley was it, ok. But add everyone outside Conklin and Simmons, and the lack of quality first round contributor directly contributed to the salary cap issues trying to make up for those bad picks.

What’s worse, is the selection to fill those holes. Conklin was briefly replaced with undertaker, been a mess since. Tons of money was given to Lewan partly in a choice between paying L or R T while paying Saffold (not a bad Fa).

All the while, considering the style the titans play, ie run the ball and play d, there has to be some sort of urgency on a K in what can be expected as low scoring hard fought battles each week. Complete miss about 6 kickers over with little attention given to actually fix the mess.
top 5 TE would be nice...

Look, I liked Jrob and appreciate him turning the team around... But as others have pointed out, his misses in the draft and some in FA finally caught up to him.

I give him props for finding players that have been good enough to keep the team afloat. Some of the credit goes to the coaching staff also. But at the end of the day, Jrob had a decent run but his mistakes created a bad roster and a bad cap situation. It was time to see if someone else can do better.

Look, I liked Jrob and appreciate him turning the team around... But as others have pointed out, his misses in the draft and some in FA finally caught up to him.

I give him props for finding players that have been good enough to keep the team afloat. Some of the credit goes to the coaching staff also. But at the end of the day, Jrob had a decent run but his mistakes created a bad roster and a bad cap situation. It was time to see if someone else can do better.
I’m ready, we have obviously hit our ceiling with Jrob and this year we have actually taken a pretty big step backwards. Time to see if someone else can get us over the hump.

I’m ready, we have obviously hit our ceiling with Jrob and this year we have actually taken a pretty big step backwards. Time to see if someone else can get us over the hump.
Yeah I wasn't happy with the move at first....but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.

Jrob dug himself a hole and the result is showing on the field this season. This roster is terrible.

I think a fresh set of eyes to look over this roster/season and make the necessary changes is whats needed. Will it get better? Who knows... But Jrob was in no position to convince anyone he was still the man for the job.

Scarcity of GM jobs will attract a good candidate. A young up and coming guy will see us a bridge to a better one down the road.

I don't know much about him but why not Ryan Cowden as a permanent replacement?

Ryan Cowden is in his 23rd NFL season and his seventh with the Titans. In 2018, he was promoted to Vice President of Player Personnel. He originally joined the franchise in 2016, as the Director of Player Personnel.

Cowden oversees all areas of the scouting department, both college and pro, including advance scouting, free agency preparation, and evaluation of players in the NFL and all other professional leagues. In addition, he assists with college scouting and preparation for the NFL Draft.

In 2000, after graduating from Wofford, Cowden was hired by the Carolina Panthers as a scouting assistant.[5] He had worked at a fireworks store on Asheville Highway before receiving the job with Carolina.[5] He became a scout for the southeast area in 2001, and served in the position through 2007.[6] Cowden served as a national scout from 2008 to 2012 and also added the position of senior college scout in 2012, which he served as until being promoted to assistant director of college scouting in 2014.[7]

Cowden was hired by the Tennessee Titans as director of player personnel in 2016.[8] He received a promotion in 2018 to vice president of player personnel.[9] In that position, he oversees the entire scouting department and assists with collegiate scouting, as well as helping prepare the team for the NFL Draft.[10] After Jon Robinson was fired as general manager of the Titans in December 2022, Cowden was named interim replacement.[11]

Cowden has been previously interviewed for the general manager position by the Kansas City Chiefs (in 2017),[12] the Carolina Panthers (in 2018),[4] the Washington Commanders (then known as the Washington Football Team, in 2021),[13] the New York Giants (in 2022),[14] and the Pittsburgh Steelers (in 2022)

Cowden attended Lebanon High School in Virginia where he was one of the state's top multi-sport athletes,[1] playing football as a quarterback, baseball as an outfielder, basketball as a point guard and track and field.[2] He was a three-year starter in football and compiled an overall record of 30–6, leading them to the Region C, Division 2 championship in 1994 where they lost 34–33, in what was considered one of the greatest games in Southwest Virginia history.[2]

Cowden later attended Wofford College and played strong safety on their football team.[3] As a senior in 1999, he recorded a total of 59 tackles, placing third on the team, and was the holder for kicks, throwing in that position a 29-yard touchdown on a fake field goal.[4] He received a degree in finance when he graduated.

Ryan Cowden (tennesseetitans.com)
Ryan Cowden - Wikipedia

Ryan Cowden is in his 23rd NFL season and his seventh with the Titans. In 2018, he was promoted to Vice President of Player Personnel. He originally joined the franchise in 2016, as the Director of Player Personnel.

Cowden oversees all areas of the scouting department, both college and pro, including advance scouting, free agency preparation, and evaluation of players in the NFL and all other professional leagues. In addition, he assists with college scouting and preparation for the NFL Draft.

In 2000, after graduating from Wofford, Cowden was hired by the Carolina Panthers as a scouting assistant.[5] He had worked at a fireworks store on Asheville Highway before receiving the job with Carolina.[5] He became a scout for the southeast area in 2001, and served in the position through 2007.[6] Cowden served as a national scout from 2008 to 2012 and also added the position of senior college scout in 2012, which he served as until being promoted to assistant director of college scouting in 2014.[7]

Cowden was hired by the Tennessee Titans as director of player personnel in 2016.[8] He received a promotion in 2018 to vice president of player personnel.[9] In that position, he oversees the entire scouting department and assists with collegiate scouting, as well as helping prepare the team for the NFL Draft.[10] After Jon Robinson was fired as general manager of the Titans in December 2022, Cowden was named interim replacement.[11]

Cowden has been previously interviewed for the general manager position by the Kansas City Chiefs (in 2017),[12] the Carolina Panthers (in 2018),[4] the Washington Commanders (then known as the Washington Football Team, in 2021),[13] the New York Giants (in 2022),[14] and the Pittsburgh Steelers (in 2022)

Cowden attended Lebanon High School in Virginia where he was one of the state's top multi-sport athletes,[1] playing football as a quarterback, baseball as an outfielder, basketball as a point guard and track and field.[2] He was a three-year starter in football and compiled an overall record of 30–6, leading them to the Region C, Division 2 championship in 1994 where they lost 34–33, in what was considered one of the greatest games in Southwest Virginia history.[2]

Cowden later attended Wofford College and played strong safety on their football team.[3] As a senior in 1999, he recorded a total of 59 tackles, placing third on the team, and was the holder for kicks, throwing in that position a 29-yard touchdown on a fake field goal.[4] He received a degree in finance when he graduated.

Ryan Cowden (tennesseetitans.com)
Ryan Cowden - Wikipedia
I did read about him lol but doesn't tell me if he's a decent permanent replacement or not.

I did read about him lol but doesn't tell me if he's a decent permanent replacement or not.
Your quote said:

If you the Titans are Hiring a up and comer, you will never know if he/she is decent until he/she does the job.
Vrabel will have “significant power over the Titans roster”. I bet he will ultimately have final say in all draft picks and signings.

Your quote said:

If you the Titans are Hiring a up and comer, you will never know if he/she is decent until he/she does the job.
Vrabel will have “significant power over the Titans roster”. I bet he will ultimately have final say in all draft picks and signings.
I guess I should have added "other than what I've read" which should be a given with google nowadays..but thanks for the link

His dream job turned into our nightmare

Yea, its been terrible having a winning team every year.

The nightmare is still here. Unless Vrabel changes, it doesn't matter who the GM is, or is going to be. Im not against getting rid of Jrob, but I dont feel thats going to solve our problems. Coaching has to be fixed or the current ones need to wake up.

Every time I attempt to get hopeful, I am reminded of who our coaches are.

OL coach. Special teams coach. OC. Then a meathead for a HC.

Edit: we were a bottom feeder team for several years. The Titans became unwatchable.

While we are not that bad now, they are still a hard team to watch and enjoy. Hopefully the new GM makes it coachproof by having such good selections building the roster. (If we don't make coaching changes)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back