Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
The coach picks his staff but I’m sure the GM can pressure for change. In this case it was just an excuse or BS to tell the press. Mularkey knew it was coming…..even before the playoff win.
I would assume the entire staff knew it was coming. When the GM wouldn’t come into the locker room or talk to the press after beating the Chiefs at Arrowhead in the playoffs…..I think they all knew.
I always thought of it as the HC gets hired and on the assumption the HC gets the leeway of picking his staff, not that I ever saw this printed out anywhere.

What does make me feel a little differently about that is the positional, assistant, and other odds and ends coaches (like strength and conditioning) that doesn’t seem to change with a new HC. If I recall, Carter, our awful OL coach was in Tennessee before Vrabel, although I may be mistaken.
I also don’t really see a lot of advertising as to who the WR or QB or DB coaches are, only HC, OC, and DC, maybe ST or when a big name former HC or Coord is hired as asst or “consultant”. So very possible all those change with the HC too, just goes fairly unnoticed.

AAS is a gangsta
Unfortunately for us, executives have a say in where they decide they want to work. And working for a "gangster" owner who will embarrass them midseason isn't going to be high on the list of someone who has plenty of options. Enjoy the next Ruston Webster.

Unfortunately for us, executives have a say in where they decide they want to work. And working for a "gangster" owner who will embarrass them midseason isn't going to be high on the list of someone who has plenty of options. Enjoy the next Ruston Webster.
LOL... tell Jon Merry Christmas for me

also I dont want any GM who is so askerd of failure it wont take a job because the last GM was held accountable for poor job performance

fact is Robinson is available for any team that is looking for GM talent where waiting till season ends he would not have that luxury

Pretty sure comes down what is in the contract or agreed to in house. Ie billichek has full control until kraft says no. Remember kraft wanted Jimmy g traded and bill didn't and kraft made the trade even with bill acting as hc and gm. Gm I always thought of as an acting owner until they fuck up enough and get the bullet.

LOL... tell Jon Merry Christmas for me

also I dont want any GM who is so askerd of failure it wont take a job because the last GM was held accountable for poor job performance

fact is Robinson is available for any team that is looking for GM talent where waiting till season ends he would not have that luxury
Firing a GM after a bad game during the middle of a winning season isn't a way you "hold them accountable". I don't make the rules, that's just how it is. Maybe Amy set a new precedent and GMs without a SB on their resume will start getting fired en masse in very public ways.. But it's very doubtful that happens, and more likely that any worthwhile outside prospect won't want to deal with her.

Firing a GM after a bad game during the middle of a winning season isn't a way you "hold them accountable". I don't make the rules, that's just how it is. Maybe Amy set a new precedent and GMs without a SB on their resume will start getting fired en masse in very public ways.. But it's very doubtful that happens, and more likely that any worthwhile outside prospect won't want to deal with her.
It wasn't just one bad game, the team has been in a downward spiral for a couple of years now.

It wasn't just one bad game, the team has been in a downward spiral for a couple of years now.
They just finished as the #1 seed last year...

Again this isn't about the move, as much as when it took place. Who exactly are they going to be interviewing for the position now? This should have waited until after the season

They just finished as the #1 seed last year...

Again this isn't about the move, as much as when it took place. Who exactly are they going to be interviewing for the position now? This should have waited until after the season
Take AAS for her word, but she said the Philly game didn’t have an impact on the firing, she had made the decision before the game.

How far back she held moves against JRob likely do stretch prior to this year despite #1 seed last year.

Take AAS for her word, but she said the Philly game didn’t have an impact on the firing, she had made the decision before the game.

How far back she held moves against JRob likely do stretch prior to this year despite #1 seed last year.
She just extended him earlier in the year.

She can say what she wants, but everyone knows better. Executives don't like their job status to be treated as a publicity stunt. Good luck finding people who want to work with a small market Jerry Jones with 0 personal accomplishments. They have other options.

She can say what she wants, but everyone knows better. Executives don't like their job status to be treated as a publicity stunt. Good luck finding people who want to work with a small market Jerry Jones with 0 personal accomplishments. They have other options.
Then he drafted Farley with his first round pick.
Re-signed Fat Randy as K
And a handful of nobodies. As injuries started appx week -3 (ie preseason), it was quickly realized that the salary cap got F’d and he forgot to address the OL.

To argue her own words seem a bold speculation by “everyone who knows better”.

Then he drafted Farley with his first round pick.
Re-signed Fat Randy as K
And a handful of nobodies. As injuries started appx week -3 (ie preseason), it was quickly realized that the salary cap got F’d and he forgot to address the OL.

To argue her own words seem a bold speculation by “everyone who knows better”.
The extension was after the Farley pick. Even if she already knew that she wanted to move on, which is understandable, this isn't the way these things are handled. Not per my opinion, but by precedent.

Tennessee will be an attractive job opening.

GMs have to be the type of people that like the challenge or rebuilding a team or making a team better, as they usually inherit really bad teams.

Tennessee still has a few good pieces AND Vrabel has become highly respected as a HC. They won't have to start from scratch.

The extension was after the Farley pick. Even if she already knew that she wanted to move on, which is understandable, this isn't the way these things are handled. Not per my opinion, but by precedent.
Correct, it was Burks this year. Not a bad pick to me.

Timing, I agree. If she had “made the decision” as early as she said, I’m not sure why she waited up to a week.

I just think too many are pointing to that 1 game as what got him canned. Not only did AAS say otherwise, but there is about a mountain of evidence that could easily attribute to his firing well more than that single game.

Tennessee will be an attractive job opening.

GMs have to be the type of people that like the challenge or rebuilding a team or making a team better, as they usually inherit really bad teams.

Tennessee still has a few good pieces AND Vrabel has become highly respected as a HC. They won't have to start from scratch.
The type of people who become quality GMs also have egos. Being humiliated after doing good work for your employer will stick with them for the rest of their lives. What Amy did isn't rare-it's unheard of. It doesn't represent higher standards, but a misunderstood of how things in the NFL work. Good candidates could work for literally any other team who wouldn't treat them that way.

The type of people who become quality GMs also have egos. Being humiliated after doing good work for your employer will stick with them for the rest of their lives. What Amy did isn't rare-it's unheard of. It doesn't represent higher standards, but a misunderstood of how things in the NFL work. Good candidates could work for literally any other team who wouldn't treat them that way.
Oh boohoo. She had the balls to fire a guy who would have been fired in a couple of months max anyway.

There might even be more to the story than we know. For all we know, they had a disagreement and Jrob forced her hand in the moment.

Either way, if any of the candidates aren't confident enough to take the position and not be scared of "oh no I might get fired 5 weeks earlier than most GMs" then they don't deserve the job anyway, imo.

Oh boohoo. She had the balls to fire a guy who would have been fired in a couple of months max anyway.

There might even be more to the story than we know. For all we know, they had a disagreement and Jrob forced her hand in the moment.

Either way, if any of the candidates aren't confident enough to take the position and not be scared of "oh no I might get fired 5 weeks earlier than most GMs" then they don't deserve the job anyway, imo.
I feel there will be people who are up to that challenge, and will apply for the new GM role.

I feel there will be people who are up to that challenge, and will apply for the new GM role.

As I said, I feel like the Titans is a very attractive job. Great HC, a couple of good pieces in place... A lot of room for cuts to make cap space.

Plus, I'm sure the millions of dollars they earn no matter what is pretty attractive.

If I were an up and coming GM, my biggest concern is if I would have the full power of a GM, or if I am just being hired to be Vrabel's scapegoat.

If I am hired, can I go tell Vrabel, fire Downing and Carter today? Or does Vrabel get to tell me, this is my draft and fa list, go get them or I will be talking to AAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back