Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
No he isn’t. The HC controls the coaching staff. Robinson could only fire Vrabel and most likely only with an ok from ownership.

In the National Football League, the general manager (GM) of a team typically controls player transactions and bears the primary responsibility on behalf of the team during contract discussions with players.

The general manager is also normally the person who hires and fires the coaching staff, including the head coach.

The general manager will in many cases have oversight of the entire football department, typically reporting to the team president/CEO and/or owner. However, some teams have the GM act in advisory role with the head coach having oversight of the football operations (including the GM)

In the National Football League, the general manager (GM) of a team typically controls player transactions and bears the primary responsibility on behalf of the team during contract discussions with players.

The general manager is also normally the person who hires and fires the coaching staff, including the head coach.

The general manager will in many cases have oversight of the entire football department, typically reporting to the team president/CEO and/or owner. However, some teams have the GM act in advisory role with the head coach having oversight of the football operations (including the GM)
Norm disregarding what is written here but for the sake of argument, wasn’t Mularkey fired because he wouldn’t move on from Robiskie?
If the GM ran that, that scenario shouldn’t have happened.

I think the GM is responsible for working contracts with the coaching staff, but the selection seems typically afforded to the HC.

Norm disregarding what is written here but for the sake of argument, wasn’t Mularkey fired because he wouldn’t move on from Robiskie?

I think the GM is responsible for working contracts with the coaching staff, but the selection seems typically afforded to the HC.
Didn't Mullarkey take the stance if Robiskie goes he goes? Not a straight out he wouldn't fire him? I can't remember tbh

I find it hard to believe the HC has power over the GM when it comes to position coaching moves

Didn't Mullarkey take the stance if Robiskie goes he goes? Not a straight out he wouldn't fire him? I can't remember tbh

I find it hard to believe the HC has power over the GM when it comes to position coaching moves
Maybe that’s how it went down, not really sure. I know the articles said Mularkey was fired. Maybe a combo of both scenarios.

It does seem like new HC hirings keep a lot of the positional coaches if not the OC/DC only. Although it does seem every time a new HC is hired, a new OC and DC are hired

If the GM is responsible for each of the coaches, then one more reason to hate JRob for hiring Downing.

I remember it as robinson told mularkey to fire robiskie & then mularkey said if he goes I go... and robinson handed mularkey 2 boxes so he and robiskie could pack their crap up

No. Mularkey was fired because Robinson wanted Vrable. If you know you are going to get canned, why fire anyone on your staff?!? He knew it was coming so he chose not to fire anyone.

No. Mularkey was fired because Robinson wanted Vrabel. If you know you are going to get canned, why fire anyone on your staff?!? He knew it was coming so he chose not to fire anyone.
So it’s the HC staff? That’s kind of the argument here is whether the HC picks his staff or the GM does.
Or I’m misunderstanding.

That said, if Mularkey knew he was getting fired, and he and Robiskie are boys, you’d think the conversation was like “hey bro, I think I’m getting the axe. That probably means you too.” Assuming the GM made that decision. If the HC made the choice, then there’s no question, hey bro, “we’re” getting the axe.

Who on earth would want to be a HC if you didn’t have autonomy to pick your own coaches? That’s like being a carpenter and have someone else decide which tools you should use.
Reading comprehision lacking in Denmark? Nowhere did I say a HC couldn't or shouldn't have a say in selecting his staff...my point is the HC having power over the GM when it comes to firing less than adequate staff... prime example is Downing

Reading comprehision lacking in Denmark? Nowhere did I say a HC couldn't or shouldn't have a say in selecting his staff...my point is the HC having power over the GM when it comes to firing less than adequate staff... prime example is Downing
Reading comprehension is just fine, but you might want to check your spelling if you’re going to throw insults.
But no matter how I try to explain it, you don’t seem to understand that most HCs have it in their contract that they have complete discretion when it comes to hiring and firing their staff.

So it’s the HC staff? That’s kind of the argument here is whether the HC picks his staff or the GM does.
Or I’m misunderstanding.

That said, if Mularkey knew he was getting fired, and he and Robiskie are boys, you’d think the conversation was like “hey bro, I think I’m getting the axe. That probably means you too.” Assuming the GM made that decision. If the HC made the choice, then there’s no question, hey bro, “we’re” getting the axe.
The coach picks his staff but I’m sure the GM can pressure for change. In this case it was just an excuse or BS to tell the press. Mularkey knew it was coming…..even before the playoff win.
I would assume the entire staff knew it was coming. When the GM wouldn’t come into the locker room or talk to the press after beating the Chiefs at Arrowhead in the playoffs…..I think they all knew.

Who on earth would want to be a HC if you didn’t have autonomy to pick your own coaches? That’s like being a carpenter and have someone else decide which tools you should use.
I always assumed HC has a lot of say in who gets hired as their staff but ultimately the GM runs the team and staff and is in direct connection with the owner.

So if the GM or Owner doesn't like who the HC has in mind, they aren't going to allow the hire.

Seems it would be a really odd dynamic to have a GM hire a HC but have no say so over the rest of the coaches. He's just sitting there like "oh shit, he has Downing running the offense?!" "Why did I hire this fool?!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back