Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
McNair in the Hall?

To use a quote from a favorite movie: "Not...Even...Close..........Bud!" At this time, he won't even make it far enough to on the final ballot.

Of course, if he has three or four outstanding years and leads the Titans to at least two Super Bowl wins, then that changes completely.

Theres only 2 ways McNair ever makes it into the Hall.

a.) He needs to resurrect his career and finish these next few years on his feet, in the playoffs, and with good stats.

b.) He makes it in as an old timer as guys a couple decades down the line want to salute his warriorship (word?) and toughness and vote him in knowing that he was one of the original 21st centry QBs. He paved the way and didn't back down from anything.

Starkiller...

has been a great player for much of his career, including an MVP season, but the stats just aren't there for the HOF. He spent too much time in an ultra-conservative offense, and probably too much time injured.
-----------------------------

That sounds like a description for troy aikman. Except that he never won a seasonal mvp. He was a super bowl mvp however. Aikman played in a conservative offense loaded with stars and he only has 5000 more passing yards than mcnair. Mcnair should surpass him and mcnair has a better career TD-int ratio to say nothing of his contributions as a runner. Aikman had his share of injury problems and really didn't play real long. Aikman fiqures to make it on the strength of his 3 super bowls wins but if steve can get back there and win it wouldn't that make it possible for the hall? 2 appearences and a win, not bad.

HOF QB with no title....

There are 21 modern day HOF QBs. 5 did not lead a team to an nfl title.

Dan marino

Fran tarkenton

YA tittle

Sonny jurgenson

Jim kelly

Take note however that 3 of those guys went to multiple championship games. Tittle played in 3 nfl champ games, tarkenton 3 super bowls and kelly 4 super bowls. Marino of course only made one super bowl and jurgenson never lead a team to a champ game. Jurgenson did play as a backup on the 1960 eagles but we know that doesn't count.

Once again rolltide to the rescue!

RollTide said:
Aikman fiqures to make it on the strength of his 3 super bowls wins but if steve can get back there and win it wouldn't that make it possible for the hall? 2 appearences and a win, not bad.
And what is the likleyhood of the Titans making the Super Bowl, much less the playoffs, in the next couple of seasons?

GLinks said:
McNair will go to Canton. Book it!

And yeah, it's because of the respect and the yardage/running combo. They will look at that as a class by itself, and he's fourth on that list. The rest of the bunch is in, and sure they have more, but those stats (you could freeze them now and he'd get it in) and the respect factor will get him in someday.

Book it!

What of Kurt Warner then?

Titans2008 said:
Check out Terry Bradshaw's numbers. A super bowl appearance/win or two will go a long way.

I agree. Small market needs big exposure like AFC Championship and Super Bowls. 1 or 2 more deep playoff runs will get him in on 2nd or 3rd try.

Starkiller............

And what is the likleyhood of the Titans making the Super Bowl, much less the playoffs, in the next couple of seasons?
---------------------------------

Starkiller you make a good point. So why are you not posting more on these other threads compalining about the job reese and fisher are doing? We have had two crappy seasons and NOW, NOW we can start rebuilding and maybe be playoff caliber when vince young takes over as the starting QB in 2008. Wow! Doesn't that make you angry?

If the titans have a losing season in 2006 jeff fisher and floyd reese both need to be fired! Anybody needs tro be fired after 3 straight losing seasons. I look forward to seeing some of your highly intense postings about your disappointment over the way things are being run. Have not seen any of them yet but i know they are coming.

Note that 4 posters gave reese and fisher a collective A grade on another thread.

Small market?

Always with the inferiority complex? Houston is the 4th largest city in the country and there are very few oilers in the hall. Didn't help there.

There are 25 packers in the hall. That's a small market eh?

I don't think of nashville as being that small. Nashville is similar in size to denver, seattle and boston and is actually larger in population than many nfl cities including pre hurricane new orleans, miami, st louis.

RollTide said:
Starkiller you make a good point. So why are you not posting more on these other threads compalining about the job reese and fisher are doing?
Because I feel there are only so many times I should have to repeat my opinion. It's much the same as how I tend to avoid the "fire Schwartz" threads. There's only so much time I want to devote to a topic.

We have had two crappy seasons and NOW, NOW we can start rebuilding and maybe be playoff caliber when vince young takes over as the starting QB in 2008. Wow! Doesn't that make you angry?
No, it makes me realize that we were contenders basically from 1999 to 2004 and that we are rebuilding now. That's generally the price you pay for being a contender a long time.

Please starkiller........

Why should it take a well run, well coached team 4 years to rebuild anything in a league when teams routinely go from 5-11 one year to 11-5? 98 falcons, 99 rams, 2003 panthers. What is that? Are you saying that it would be fine with you if we posted 2 more losing seasons and that fisher and reese would be commended for doing a great job?

That's nuts!

It always kills me when people talk about the 99-2003 titans as if they were lomabardi's packers in the 60s and we were just so darn successful then it is only natural to suck now, and 2 more years!. We were not the 60s packers or the early 70s dolphins. Getting to the playoffs 4 out of 5 years doesn't justify a 4-12 season. It sure in the hell doesn't justify 2 more crappy years. We better start winning in 2006, after drafting so early 2 years in a row.

Bill cowher has never even had 2 losing seasons in a row but jeff fisher can have 4 in a row and still be called a great coach! Oh yeah!
Geez...:sad2:

It's kind of difficult to get back in it when you have a injury prone year that puts over half of your starters out of the game, and then come back the next year having no cap room, and a team whose average age is around 26.5 years old.

I think it would be possible for us to go to the playoffs next year, and if McNair decides he will stay for two years, and we go to the playoffs again, I think McNair would go to the HOF.

#1TitansFan said:
Could these last two seasons have cost McNair a possible vote into the Hall of Fame some day? Even though his stats were even for the most part of these past two years as the year that he was co-mvp, could his win-loss record for the last two years be a deciding factor on whether he will end up in the Hall some day?
Not to sound over-barring, but McNair is not HOF caliber... he's not even close.

RollTide said:
That's nuts!

NUTS.JPG

Homer finds twenty dollars under the couch:
"Aww, twenty dollars? I wanted a peanut!"
Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts!
"Explain how."
Money can be exchanged for good and services.
"Woohoo!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back