Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe Montana was drafted in the 3rd round ...
I don't know what the subject is anymore, just saw the last page arguing about 2nd and 3rd round QB's.

Maybe I'm missing the point of what is being argued here, but my understanding on what was said, is teams only select QB's "early" in the draft for the sole purpose of replacing the current starting QB vice taking an early pick for the purpose of hoping you have a quality backup instead of some late round project or signing a FA as the backup.

That sum it up correctly?

Maybe I'm missing the point of what is being argued here, but my understanding on what was said, is teams only select QB's "early" in the draft for the sole purpose of replacing the current starting QB vice taking an early pick for the purpose of hoping you have a quality backup instead of some late round project or signing a FA as the backup.

It was said you dont draft backup QBs in Rd2
Second round quarterbacks this century that became long-term NFL starters

So that's the assumption that every QB taking in rounds 1 or 2 is specifically for the purpose of being the eventual starter (maybe not the same year).

Just as somewhat of a counter, hasn't it been discussed many times of the lack of quality backup QB's there are around the league? I'd say that is important enough that IF you have an injury prone starter, it's worth investing a higher pick even for backup purposes, potentially starter.

Joe Montana was drafted in the 3rd round ...
I don't know what the subject is anymore, just saw the last page arguing about 2nd and 3rd round QB's.
I'd say 1978/9 were pretty different than today though. Used to let guys hang around the league for awhile too, consider Rich Gannon being like an 8 year vet before turning into the MVP starter he was for Oakland.

So that's the assumption that every QB taking in rounds 1 or 2 is specifically for the purpose of being the eventual starter (maybe not the same year).

Just as somewhat of a counter, hasn't it been discussed many times of the lack of quality backup QB's there are around the league? I'd say that is important enough that IF you have an injury prone starter, it's worth investing a higher pick even for backup purposes, potentially starter.
I would say that's the argument...I can't see teams like KC or Buffalo drafting a QB in round 1 or 2

Baltimore should though..La(marblemouth) is trash

That was my understanding too and particularly focused on the Eagles drafting Hurts in the 2nd. My argument was their QB situation was unstable after losing Foles. To stabilize the position, when you have an often injured and a bit inconsistent QB, you take one in the 2nd not necessarily as a replacement, but as insurance.

That was my understanding too and particularly focused on the Eagles drafting Hurts in the 2nd. My argument was their QB situation was unstable after losing Foles. To stabilize the position, when you have an often injured and a bit inconsistent QB, you take one in the 2nd not necessarily as a replacement, but as insurance.
I don't think the Hurts pick was a bad one, he certainly made a difference not just on the field but in the locker room.
Not sure what they do with Wentz or who wanted/didn't want Hurts but I think Wentz will be a Colt

And they have been crucified for that pick! What value has that pick provided for them?
I wasn't agreeing with the pick just throwing it out there as an example. Oh the other hand the Packers are playing in back to back nfc championship games regardless of if love contributed or not. So maybe they're doing something right.

I wasn't agreeing with the pick just throwing it out there as an example. Oh the other hand the Packers are playing in back to back nfc championship games regardless of if love contributed or not. So maybe they're doing something right.

Well I guess time will tell us that. But I would also argue that Love wasn’t drafted for depth which is what the argument is. He was drafted to replace ARod.

I agree with them investing a pick (not FA $$$) in a backup in case the often injured Wentz went down. Pederson create an issue with his QB moves while healthy.

Even if they think Hurts will take over, they should be using wentz for 2 reasons. 1, his paycheck. You don't pay a guy that much do ride the pine (if healthy)
2, Hurts (and every rookie QB) can use the time to learn the NFL. We really aren't that far removed from that situation being the norm, a guy drafted with zero expectation of him playing the same year. (QB Specific).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back