Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drew Brees sat for one year (like a lot of rookies did then). If Eagles wanted Wentz long term and they have him signed long term, why draft a QB round 2?
I thought Brees sat for 4-5 years before he left in FA to New Orleans?

Edit: my bad..Brees was before Rivers

Smart teams don’t build depth? OK. Who replaced Wentz, the guy they drafted in the 2nd round because they lost their top back up. This argument is too studio to continue.

Name a smart team who has drafted a backup QB in the 2nd round when they already have their franchise QB?

You don’t “build depth” at the QB position. You find your guy and never let him leave.

Name a smart team who has drafted a backup QB in the 2nd round when they already have their franchise QB?

You don’t “build depth” at the QB position. You find your guy and never let him leave.
Patriots, Ryan Mallett.

Edit: And maybe Jimmy G. (can't recall if he was 2nd or 3rd)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hurts was just taken in the second round this past draft.

Nvm I see that was what started this whole convo lol

Russ was a third round pick after they just signed Flynn to a big offseason contract.

As you see from the above examples, teams will draft a QB higher to strengthen their team. Packers drafted Rogers when they had Farve, then Love when they had Rogers. Patriots Garoppolo when they had Brady. It happened with the Eagles, because their BACKUP won the Super Bowl for them and they lost him to FA. Wentz has lost significant time in his short career as well as apparently being difficult and inconsistent. The Eagles, again having to use their backup in the playoffs and the Super Bowl, knew they needed to maintain a high quality back up at the very least. It may be they just weren’t sold Wentz could be the long term answer. Regardless, looks like the right decision to draft A QB for them. Defense rests your honor.

So, you would be good if the Eagles had taken Hurts in the 3rd?

It’s better than a 2nd round pick. And taking a QB in the 3rd usually indicates you don’t think he’s “the guy”.

Russell Wilson is probably the only example of a 3rd round QB that started right away I can think of. Most times they are drafted to be depth/project QB’s.

What did Ryan Mallet ever do for the Patriots? He did nothing. Lmao plus he was a 3rd round pick.
Yes. Someone else corrected me as well. Mallett was a 3rd, is was Jimmy G that was the 2nd. Both selected for depth purposes only, not as a replacement to TB12. It's subjective to whether a 3rd round is an "early" pick or not.

Yes. Someone else corrected me as well. Mallett was a 3rd, is was Jimmy G that was the 2nd. Both selected for depth purposes only, not as a replacement to TB12. It's subjective to whether a 3rd round is an "early" pick or not.

Incorrect. Jimmy G was 100% drafted to be TB12 replacement. This was a big story when he was traded. Bill didn’t want to do it but was forced to by Kraft. Kinda led to the falling out on all sides.

I would say yes to 3rd being an early pick. In regards to QBs, if you look at the stats, success is almost (note almost you professional arguers) always tied to early first. So really, 2nd and 3rd are not usually more than developmental guys most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back