Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with most of your post. However, we did seem to play farther off wr than most teams. Case in point was the Pittsburgh game, Big Ben killed us ( as many teams did) with slants and quick screens to wr. The second half we did better because we blitzed and tightened that up at least some. The Browns game we played off and just let Baker do what he wanted. I do believe the defense was better under Pees we were ranked 12th in the nfl in 2019 giving 20.7 points per game. This year 2020 we gave up nearly 31 points a game and nearly last against the pass, and last in sacks. I do agree players and injury played a part but the defense was better under Pees to me and by the stats.
Titanmark just makes things up as he goes to support his points. Don't mind him.

I agree with most of your post. However, we did seem to play farther off wr than most teams. Case in point was the Pittsburgh game, Big Ben killed us ( as many teams did) with slants and quick screens to wr. The second half we did better because we blitzed and tightened that up at least some. The Browns game we played off and just let Baker do what he wanted. I do believe the defense was better under Pees we were ranked 12th in the nfl in 2019 giving 20.7 points per game. This year 2020 we gave up nearly 31 points a game and nearly last against the pass, and last in sacks. I do agree players and injury played a part but the defense was better under Pees to me and by the stats.

Yea.. I don’t disagree we were better under Pees. Give Bowen that group of players and no injuries and let’s see what’s the result is. My point is this jump off a cliff we gonna be a 6 win team and suck because of Bowen and the coaching staff is moronic. Bowen might suck. But we actually don’t know that yet. This team just went 11-5 and won the division with a crap Dline and injuries all over the defense.

The defense wasn’t that much better under Pees wind and the stats prove that. Talent matters. When you don’t have much it doesn’t matter who is coaching.

You think the Chiefs win a Super Bowl with Mariota at QB? IF it’s coaching why didn’t the Patriots end up in the SB again?

Bowen may suck, I’m not defending him. But brushing off the lack of talent and the injuries of last season is obtuse and silly. Having talent matters.

This whole argument about playing 10 yards off a WRs is BS. That’s call off man coverage and most MFL teams deploy it. It today’s league they take away the deep ball and concede the short pass. The Titans are forced to play off coverage because of the lack of speed on defense ( talent ) on defense. IMHO it boils down to 2 things. Lack of practice or coaching time due to COVID and a pass rush. If you have a pass rush you don’t need to worry as much about the deep ball because the QB just doesn’t have time and the DBs can play more man or press coverage.
It's the GM's job is to draft players with speed and a pass rush right? Thank you!

Yea.. I don’t disagree we were better under Pees. Give Bowen that group of players and no injuries and let’s see what’s the result is. My point is this jump off a cliff we gonna be a 6 win team and suck because of Bowen and the coaching staff is moronic. Bowen might suck. But we actually don’t know that yet. This team just went 11-5 and won the division with a crap Dline and injuries all over the defense.
so you're saying that going from a defense in the Afc championship game to one of the worst in the league was because of that Or are you saying that you're fine with 11-5 even though the defense sucked?

so you're saying that going from a defense in the Afc championship game to one of the worst in the league was because of that Or are you saying that you're fine with 11-5 even though the defense sucked?

I’m saying the defense didn’t get us to the AFC Championship the year before and injuries and a lot of things caused the defense to regress in 2020. Not the GM, more factual not just the GM. Alot of people and things played a part. Some of the moves Robinson made didn’t work out. Robinson would get a job in 24 hours if fired. He is one of the better and most respected GMs in the NFL. He has improved this team exponentially since he arrived, So has Vrabel. It’s about the body of work, not 1 pandemic plagued season.

Yes I would take 11-5 every season. I don’t care how they get there. I guess you would be happy with 5-11 as long as Robinson is fired and the defense is stellar?

I've never questioned J Rob in his decisions (other than not drafting Jonathan Taylor or DeAndre Swift with our first pick last year to complement Henry). I think he's done a really good job as GM.

I only question why he signed off on these awful OC/DC hires. I know he puts faith in Vrabel and doesn't micro-manage his decisions, but to be so blind to the point as to sign off on these hires is mind boggling.

I've never questioned J Rob in his decisions (other than not drafting Jonathan Taylor or DeAndre Swift with our first pick last year to complement Henry). I think he's done a really good job as GM.

I only question why he signed off on these awful OC/DC hires. I know he puts faith in Vrabel and doesn't micro-manage his decisions, but to be so blind to the point as to sign off on these hires is mind boggling.

Why? Because you hate the hires? I would think Vrabel and Robinson know a lot more about the NFL than you do.

Weren’t people crazy upset about both Lafleur and Smith being hired. I seem remember people saying LaFluer was going to fail because it was McVays offense and McVay called the plays. Then Smith was just this rich guys son who got a cush job in the NFL and would be a disaster. Now we can’t live without him. Who would you have hired? Who is available that would be better? Don’t you understand that staying consistent is the best thing for a NFL team. Having a different OC every year and new offense to learn sets teams back.

If it doesn’t work next season then you can intelligently complain. But right now you can’t know how it will turn out.

It's the GM's job is to draft players with speed and a pass rush right? Thank you!

I don't think anyone is saying his decisions in 2020 were great. But almost everyone wanted Clowney, and he was universally considered a steal at his contract (considering he was looking for 90 million).

No one could have predicted Beasley and Wilson would stop caring about football. Clowney was a bit of bad luck due to injury. And certainly losing Adoree, Brown, and Fulton for the season is nothing he could control.

Despite a ton of injuries to our defense and OL, we finished 11-5. I'd say thats pretty damn good.

With Bowen calling the plays.

Why? Because you hate the hires? I would think Vrabel and Robinson know a lot more about the NFL than you do.

Weren’t people crazy upset about both Lafleur and Smith being hired. I seem remember people saying LaFluer was going to fail because it was McVays offense and McVay called the plays. Then Smith was just this rich guys son who got a cush job in the NFL and would be a disaster. Now we can’t live without him. Who would you have hired? Who is available that would be better? Don’t you understand that staying consistent is the best thing for a NFL team. Having a different OC every year and new offense to learn sets teams back.

If it doesn’t work next season then you can intelligently complain. But right now you can’t know how it will turn out.
I don’t really recall any doubt talk regarding lefleur. I do recall some about art up until Mariota was benched. After that it was sporadic on what seemed like stupid calls.
I haven’t seen much negative reaction to Downing.

The defensive side is a different story. The D was trash dating back before Lebeau. The one year the D was pretty good (18’), was Pees’s first year. His second year, the D went backwards and some could attribute to some key injuries. He retired and literally no one took his place. The. After that absolute trash of a defensive season was over, Vrabel states that Bowen did most of that work. It was bad enough that had he been given the title of DC, he should have been fired. Instead, he was just promoted to having the title. The distaste for that move is absolutely justified.

Whomever you think the best D play caller in the NFL couldn’t have taken that D group with the injuries and player that quit, with no practice and made them substantially better.
Disagree. Maybe not every DC out there, but I’m confident many would have done better.

Whomever you think the best D play caller in the NFL couldn’t have taken that D group with the injuries and player that quit, with no practice and made them substantially better.
You’re point missing again. We were 11-5 with Bowen calling the plays. While he is not my favorite, why would it drop off more with the same guy involved? I assume we get some better players on D for next season so why wouldn’t the defense be better, not worse?

You’re point missing again. We were 11-5 with Bowen calling the plays. While he is not my favorite, why would it drop off more with the same guy involved? I assume we get some better players on D for next season so why wouldn’t the defense be better, not worse?

Oh yea... exactly. Sorry!

Honestly, I expect the D to be better. Not better enough to make a real difference though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back