Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strengths:
Has a very strong arm...Good size...Pretty good athlete who can move a little...Sports a quick delivery with good accuracy...Patient player who will go through his progressions...Tough guy who will hang in the pocket and take a hit...Throws well on the move...Strong and durable with a lot of experience...A leader with top intangibles and is a gamer who comes up big in the clutch.

Weaknesses:
Mechanics get pretty dodgy at times...Footwork is very eratic...Will take unnecessary risks and make some bad decisions...Gunslinging mentality can morph into recklessness...Has too much confidence in his arm at times...Struggles throwing the deep ball...Has not had a lot of success at the college level from a team perspective...Body has taken a lot of punishment throughout his career.

About.com

Positives:
A four year starter on a dreadful SEC team, Jay Cutler was the one shining star. He was the 2005 SEC Offensive Player of the Year as well as 2005 SEC Player of the Year. In addition he was a finalist for the Unitas Golden Arm Award.
He has a very high completion percentage in all four years with his highest being 61% in 2004. He is a very mobile quarterback drawing comparisons to a bigger Jeff Garcia. He threw for 21 touchdowns this season with only 9 interceptions. He has become arguably the best quarterback in Vanderbilt history.

footballsfuture.com

"Cutler has all the talent and the mindset to be an NFL caliber QB. He’s big and strong, has a very good arm, but also brings surprising athleticism to the field. He has the ability to make every throw, and can make plays with his feet when things break down. Cutler also possesses excellent toughness. He has taken a beating playing for Vandy, but gets up every time and continues to battle."

fftoolbox.com

"Has the total package and traits you look for in becoming a top level winning quarterback at the next level, he is tough, smart, athletic and a quick thinker in the pocket, he is a field general who has total command and control of the offense, with good leadership traits and instills confidence upon his teammates through his intensity and passion for the game that shows through on the field of play, he also does not allow the possibility of failure to control his play on the field, which I find many quarterbacks to do, and he is a calm cool customer in the pocket despite consistently having to perform under adverse conditions stacked against him"

they have going to the Jets @ 4th overall !!
nice props, but I don't think so
then again, we must see the Senior Bowl first

fftoolbox.com said:
4 NYJ Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt 6'4 228
Once the combine and post game bowls are concluded there very well could be talk that this should be the first QB taken off the board! Jay Cutler may or may not be a household name to most of the public at this point before draft day, but with the uncertainty with QB Chad Pennington, the drafting and emergence of Cutler may be just what the draft doctor ordered. I feel Jay Cutler is the most underrated and undervalued player in this entire draft. To me he has an upside greater than any other quarterback in this draft and he is one who warrants this draft position. He shows all the tools you want from a franchise quarterback. He has the arm strength and touch to place balls anywhere along the field, with the mobility to extend passing plays for his receivers or the athletic ability to become a dangerous open field runner. He is equally effective throwing the ball inside or outside of the pocket, with the pocket presence and competitive nature only the exceptionally talented possesses. That is Jay Cutler. If the Jets were to draft this player, it would be a major step toward the team's future success.

well, I agreed with this for the most part , until I considered they had him going to NYJ @4

I wouldn't call that undervalued or underrated at all

"Cutler is probably the second most gifted signal caller in this draft (and the most gifted if Vince Young stays in school). This is a guy that is 6’4” 225, can really run, and can throw it with the best of them." - from a FoxSports Blog

the more i read about cutler the more impressed i am, but i'm still holding my judgement until the senior bowl.

if we do take him, i have faith that the staff saw something in him in the week of practice and the game.

Key areas:
Mechanics get pretty dodgy at times...Footwork is very eratic...Will take unnecessary risks and make some bad decisions...Gunslinging mentality can morph into recklessness...Has too much confidence in his arm at times...Struggles throwing the deep ball...Has not had a lot of success at the college level from a team perspective...Body has taken a lot of punishment throughout his career.

Mechanics dodgy at times, thats terrible. Key throw and his mechanics are dodgy, game over.

Footwork is erratic, whilst quite easy to teach - it often leads to unnecessary rushes and hits.

Unneccessary decisions - Enough said.

Struggles with the deep ball - Basically arm strength? If he struggles with it, he won't do it often.

Taken a lot of hits - so if David Carr was in the draft again (4 years on after all his sacks) would you take him? I think not.

Trouble throwing the deep ball was stated because he always had a collapsing pocket and had a hard time getting an ACCURATE throw off, if you ever WATCH him play you would realize that the deep ball he threw in a collapsing pocket would go 10-15 yards over the receiver to compensate for the lack of time. Dude watch him play before you make your judgements on merely someone elses evaluation. He's not going to rise into the top 2 but he is definitely in a class of his own after they are off the board.

Troupe4Prez said:
Trouble throwing the deep ball was stated because he always had a collapsing pocket and had a hard time getting an ACCURATE throw off, if you ever WATCH him play you would realize that the deep ball he threw in a collapsing pocket would go 10-15 yards over the receiver to compensate for the lack of time. Dude watch him play before you make your judgements on merely someone elses evaluation. He's not going to rise into the top 2 but he is definitely in a class of his own after they are off the board.

thank you,I was just about to break it down to thnom
but you did a good job

EVERY college prospect has weaknesses, Jay's are correctable

if you look at Cutler's last 3 games he :
completed 65% of his passes
for 1071 yards - a 357 yard average
with 12 TD's and only 2 int's (both against Florida)
with a Passer Rating avg. of 152.5

he threw 5 TD's with 0 INT's vs. Kentucky and 3/0 td/int vs UT
which were his final games as a senior
the final game being a win over UT

Cutler must be a very strange fellow. He has a very strong arm but cannot throw the deep ball. He is patient and goes through the progressions but he will take unusual risks and get reckless. Must be a double personality. The bottom line is there are many times Cutler has no choice but to sling the ball recklously because he is getting his head taken off in 2 seconds. When he has time his mechanics are fine and he makes good decisions most of the time. Look at his TD to int ratio and you can tell he is not overly reckless or making bad decisions although he does not have the luxury of spending all day scoping the field like Leinart had.

Boy this is all making the prospect of getting Leinart sooooo disappointing.

Next we'll be talking of Leinart being this year's Rodgers.

GLinks said:
Boy this is all making the prospect of getting Leinart sooooo disappointing.

Next we'll be talking of Leinart being this year's Rodgers.
He wont fall to #24 like Rodgers, but I could see him falling to 5-10 easily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back