Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Crappy teams don't tank, they just lose.

Tanking
in sports refers to the practice of intentionally fielding non-competitive teams to take advantage of league rules that benefit losing teams

If i am the Skins i don’t take that deal. Taking on a big contract with what has been overwhelmingly determined to be a deep class at WR seems like stepping backwards. If they aren’t in love with any signal caller there, the WR is bowl of cherries on rookie deal. Be surprised if they don’t go QB though.

If I'm the Vikings I don't make that deal either. The while point of get a rookie QB is to be able to afford loading the roster with elite talents. Talents don't get more elite than Jefferson.

Right, so tanking or not had nothing to do with it.

You completely missed the point. The choice is lingering in mediocrity with a low chance of selecting a franchise altering player, or tanking to improve your chances to select a franchise changing player. If you're already a bad team, you might as well improve your chances of getting a franchise altering player.

If you arer consistently not a good team, but not a terrible, then you probably aren't very good at drafting players. So selecting players that objectively have a higher chance to succeed (i.e. high draft picks) is more likely to imrpove your chances of competing in the future.

In the end, the draft is a crap shoot. But higher drafted players generally turn out better than lower drafted players.

You completely missed the point. The choice is lingering in mediocrity with a low chance of selecting a franchise altering player, or tanking to improve your chances to select a franchise changing player. If you're already a bad team, you might as well improve your chances of getting a franchise altering player.

If you arer consistently not a good team, but not a terrible, then you probably aren't very good at drafting players. So selecting players that objectively have a higher chance to succeed (i.e. high draft picks) is more likely to imrpove your chances of competing in the future.

In the end, the draft is a crap shoot. But higher drafted players generally turn out better than lower drafted players.
Here’s the actual point,
No team is limited to these two choices, tank for “better chance of better player” OR live in mediocrity.
You’re entirely overlooking the other options team have and the bulk of teams do, just select players that are usable at the position you draft, aka draft well. Coincidentally something TN has been really bad at at least recently.

considering those 2 options you presented, the teams that select even 1 season to “tank” are often in position to “tank” again within a season or couple seasons.
As pointed out many times, throughout the past 20-25 years, there are bulk top 10 picks selected by the same teams year after year which proves that their earlier pick clearly didn’t pay off. And vice versa, these teams that have late 1st round draft picks don’t even always make a 1st round selection yet find ways to earn late first round picks over and over.

Good, high character, players don't want to play for a team that is actively trying to lose. If you start tanking the only players who will want to play for you are low effort guys looking for a payday. Reputation matters.

Tanking might work in Madden but it doesn't in the real world

View attachment 21752

Troy Franklin or JT Sanders would be pretty awesome picks at 4.06.
We will probably continue to draft for need and get a LB or something

Maybe the iLB from UNC? Also, it’s a commercial break before our pick. I really think they just don’t know what to say about the Titans. It’s ridiculous.

Latest posts

Back