Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
Looks like many of our threads are turning into Levis threads anyway, so I thought it would try put one out there just for him.

My take:

It's one game. Some.of what we saw may continue to happen, some of it was just a one off. Could be good or bad.

Starting with the touchdowns:

TD1 to Hopkins. The route was run so close to the sideline it looked like the intent was to clear out the middle of the field for the crossing routes. It almost didn't seem like Hopkins was expecting to be targeted on the play. That may be why he reached around the defender when he saw the ball was actually headed that way. The throw hung in the air and was a good 5 yards short of where it needed to be. And probably too far in toward the numbers as well. This was an underthrow. Was this a good read by Levis? Probably not. Was it a great throw? Not at all. It worked out because Hopkins made it work. I like that he has the "just throw it up and let Hopkins work" mentality. But some of these throws will look like head-scratching ints on future attempts.

TD2 to Hopkins. Trips right. Hopkins is the shallow cross. You can tell Levis made correct read on this play because he looked at the safety opposite Hopkins (by design) before throwing the ball. The ball was a bit behind Hopkins and high. Hopkins made a great play to catch this without losing speed and that's why he scored. This could have also been a short gain, or even a deflection and pick but it worked this time, and probably will most times. Good read. Iffy throw.

TD3 Hopkins. Hopkins on the double move. This one was nice. Good read, looked off the opposite side Safety, and made the throw. Slight underthrow, but that's just nit-picky.

TD4 NWI. This one was the "we may have something here" throw of the day. Looked like something Aaron Rodgers would do. NWI breaks across the field on a route that is designed to cut across the field and work slightly back to the line of scrimmage. The throw should have some velocity in it and be caught around the 10. With defenders in his face, Levis releases the ball early and off his back foot, but puts some air under it and leads the reciever into the end zone. This was an elite level play.

Other plays. The throwaway to Henry when the LB blitzed was really good. The throwaway toward Chig almost caught by the LB was really bad. Several throws OB were good decisions. The throw Chig dropped was slightly behind but with a good reason and should have been caught. The Burks sideline throw was slightly too far OB, but Burks should have run the route with more space to the boundary so Levis had more room to drop the ball in bounds.. The throw Burks dropped (maybe tipped by defender) was a dime, but it was an improvised late throw because Hopkins fell. Risky, but worked out ok.

Pocket awareness was really good most of the day. He made slight movements that gave him an extra split second to make the decison/throw. Made the online look good (they actually did play ok).

Overall, he played a decent game and everything pretty much broke in his favor. He tends to want to push the ball down the field even when it's not warranted, which is the opposite of Tannehill. This is fun and has the benefit of opening the run game and short passing. But there will be times where it's not working and the results will look ugly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Expectations cannot be repeating this success. That’s not to say he didn’t look good or show capability to repeat, but as mentioned, it’s 1 game.

the promising pieces from last week match what were the promising draft attributes, strong arm, not scared to throw deep, pretty good pocket awareness.
His accuracy remains to be seen as he was marked as inaccurate before the draft, he went 19/29 with a couple drops in there.

plenty of reason for excitement, plenty of reason to curb the excitement til we see more.

Let's say Levis throws 3 INT in his second game and we lose badly.

The out come needs to be same going forward he needs to play and learn if we by some reason bench him for Tannehill we could destroy his confidence going forward.

His stats were better than he actually played but his arm talent is wild and he made good decisions. I'm cautiously optimistic going forward.

I'll be honest, I just want to see progress on his behalf while the game slows down for him. This is why it would be flat out stupid to put Tannehill back under center the rest of the year.

It's clear as day Levis has the tools to make for a really good QB in this league.

What I'll keep in mind is what goes up must come down. We'd be fools to think Levis is able to replicate his first ever start. He's going to have his fair share of bad plays/games, which is to be expected.

Just keep him upright and catch the damn ball and he'll be fine over time.

Back to the OP on the 1st TD: if the player can catch the ball then the ball is where it "needed to be".

Fair. Nitpicking my words is ok. Lol

In this case; with where he put the ball and the hang time, he needed a few breaks to make that completion. The defender getting turned and playing the ref for a call rather than playing the ball was big. No PI was a break. A ball placed further down into the end zone and closer to the sideline would have been better. So not a great throw, but an effective one. Works for me. But the point is that exact throw would probably have bad results more often than not. But hey, the great QB's tend to pull that type of thing off all the time, so there's that.

Let's say Levis throws 3 INT in his second game and we lose badly.

The out come needs to be same going forward he needs to play and learn if we by some reason bench him for Tannehill we could destroy his confidence going forward.
Ankle-Brace-for-Plantar-Fasciitis-Sprain-Achilles-Tendonitis-Black-Green-Foot-Wrap-for-Men-Women-by-Mata1_f962e7bd-5a87-4ef7-afe8-de9428fb33f9.525416a7d6f7319fbf2acda8fb9f77df.jpeg

T17 will be all 'my ankle is great coach'

Levis couldn't be any worse than what we've witnessed from Tanny and Willis. Tanny has a negative TD to INT ratio and Willis takes sacks on half of his drop backs. I'll fully admit I wasn't a fan of the pick, but if he works out I'll happily eat my words.

Probably won’t happen, BUT if Levis pulls of another great showing will everybody still be saying “let’s wait and see?”

Probably won’t happen, BUT if Levis pulls of another great showing will everybody still be saying “let’s wait and see?”

Probably need to wait and see even if he has another good game. But if he has a really good night with some amazing throws and good decisions and we win. I will definitely be on the start him all season bandwagon. If he just throws up some prayers and gets lucky... maybe not so much.

Really liking what we are seeing from Levis. Playing well and not making mistakes to lose. This is fantastic, see ya Tammy, I don’t want to see Tammy on the field again. It’s Levis time now.

Levis is the only reason to give a damn about this trash team.

Developing him is the only thing that matters the rest of the season. Hopefully we lose enough to get one of the stud tackles coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back