Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, but Zeke reset the market. No agent ignores that.
Do you really want us to go research all the times agents didn’t get top dollar for their clients? Cause I have better things to do. Why don’t you spend five minutes to prove yourself wrong (or at least failable) in this case.

Sure, but Zeke reset the market. No agent ignores that.

Sure, but again, Zeke is/was considered the best back in the league with a great track record. He basically had Jerry by the balls. Not to mention, Jerry is known to give out some pretty terrible deals. He was desperate and Zeke took advantage. Granted, RBs are certainly trending upward in their value and pay, but I just find it hard to believe he'll eclipse 50 million in guaranteed money or 100 million total. Especially since Zeke's contract was so far above Gurley's deal. It seems like an outlier and not a new market setting. I think Henry would beat Gurley's deal slightly but fall well short of Zeke.

The more I think about it, I believe the more likely avenue (given the attrition rate for RBs after 5 years) is that Henry gets tagged and Tanne gets the big contract. Only risk with that is Henry could hold out, but it at least gives us leverage in negotiations.

Sure, but again, Zeke is/was considered the best back in the league with a great track record. He basically had Jerry by the balls. Not to mention, Jerry is known to give out some pretty terrible deals. He was desperate and Zeke took advantage. Granted, RBs are certainly trending upward in their value and pay, but I just find it hard to believe he'll eclipse 50 million in guaranteed money or 100 million total. Especially since Zeke's contract was so far above Gurley's deal. It seems like an outlier and not a new market setting. I think Henry would beat Gurley's deal slightly but fall well short of Zeke.

The more I think about it, I believe the more likely avenue (given the attrition rate for RBs after 5 years) is that Henry gets tagged and Tanne gets the big contract. Only risk with that is Henry could hold out, but it at least gives us leverage in negotiations.

I just know what I have seen from agents and the trajectory of contracts. Maybe you are right, and level heads will make the case you are making. But for what I have seen in the world of professional sport contracts, I would never bet on that or expect it.

Do you really want us to go research all the times agents didn’t get top dollar for their clients? Cause I have better things to do. Why don’t you spend five minutes to prove yourself wrong (or at least failable) in this case.

I hear you—I don’t have time for that either. But if someone here can’t come up with a notable example, and there are numerous examples of contracts going higher or passing the most recent high contract, odds are our situation will go the way of the latter not the former.

But I am happy to just wait and see it play out—see who is right then.

Jared Goff signed for considerably less than Wilson did, months after Wilson signed his contract. Ditto for Carson Wentz.

Adam Thielen was the best WR in football last year. Signed this year for considerably less than what other top WR signed for in total value. Likewise for Tyreek Hill.

Demarcus Lawrence signed this year for significantly less than what Mack signed for last year.

That is just from the last 365 days. There are plenty of examples.

Jared Goff signed for considerably less than Wilson did, months after Wilson signed his contract. Ditto for Carson Wentz.

Adam Thielen was the best WR in football last year. Signed this year for considerably less than what other top WR signed for in total value. Likewise for Tyreek Hill.

Demarcus Lawrence signed this year for significantly less than what Mack signed for last year.

That is just from the last 365 days. There are plenty of examples.

All examples of good players getting less than the top contract but not great comparisons to the present situation Wilson has won a super bowl and for qbs that is huge. He is also way better than Geoff I the estimation of all in the league. And Wentz had injury issues that Wilson didn’t have.

Thielen is very good but no one thinks he is the best WR in the league. He has skill limitations that will keep him from top dollars. And Hill is excellent at a number of things but also has limitations.

Laurence has over 20 less sacks than Mack in the same amount of years...he deserved a lot less.

But bottom line, do you really think Henry gets less per year and in guaranteed money than Zeke? If so, I guess we will see who is right.

All examples of good players getting less than the top contract but not great comparisons to the present situation Wilson has won a super bowl and for qbs that is huge. He is also way better than Geoff I the estimation of all in the league. And Wentz had injury issues that Wilson didn’t have.

Thielen is very good but no one thinks he is the best WR in the league. He has skill limitations that will keep him from top dollars. And Hill is excellent at a number of things but also has limitations.

Laurence has over 20 less sacks than Mack in the same amount of years...he deserved a lot less.

But bottom line, do you really think Henry gets less per year and in guaranteed money than Zeke? If so, I guess we will see who is right.

Well again, I would think most non-biased people would agree that Zeke is a better overall Rb than Henry as well. I would put Henry solidly behind Zeke and McCaffrey for best RB in the league, and leading the next group among Saquon, Chubb, Cook, and Jones. Henry also has his limitations like the players you spoke about, as he is not heavily involved in the passing game like other feature backs.

Well again, I would think most non-biased people would agree that Zeke is a better overall Rb than Henry as well. I would put Henry solidly behind Zeke and McCaffrey for best RB in the league, and leading the next group among Saquon, Chubb, Cook, and Jones. Henry also has his limitations like the players you spoke about, as he is not heavily involved in the passing game like other feature backs.
Henry needs to get more opportunities to catch the ball in space

I really hope you are right. But given how dominant he has been and the success the dominance has brought I think it is far more likely he asks for better than Zeke. While the narrative you give was definitely true at the beginning of the year, I think it is changing quickly. But again, time will tell and I hope I am wrong.

I do agree somewhat. He's the most dangerous RB in the league in space. No safety/CB can take him one on one. Those screen plays with him typically are going 15 yards or more.

Screens are well and good, but we need to devise some plays where he catches the ball in space already moving forward with a head of steam.

SOUL STEALER

Screens are well and good, but we need to devise some plays where he catches the ball in space already moving forward with a head of steam.
Thats not his thing tho imo

Maybe some swing routes but i dont want to see him linning up out wide like CMC or Kamara.. Ive seen him goof up routes out there

Put it in perspective some, we paid Mariota over 50mil for 5 years and 1 playoff win that he had a hand in.

How much have we paid Henry for his 4 years and 2 playoff wins, one that he had a hand in, and one he was the superstar of the game?

If we end up paying Henry 50mil for the next 4 years, that will put his total around 56mil for 8 years and bare minimum of 2 playoff wins he was a part of winning.
Itll be more like 60M over 4 years

Itll be more like 60M over 4 years

That's what I'm thinking, if he doesn't get franchise tagged. Credit to Henry as he probably gained himself 30 million guaranteed based on this season alone. Before this season, he was probably looking at something similar to what McKinnon got. May bey slightly more, but not by much. Now, it's looking like he will surpass Gurley in total money and probably a similar amount or more in guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back