Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ben Troupe scored low, and it took him a year or so before starting to shine. But he's not a QB.

The plan is to give Young some time before giving him the reigns.
But if it was your money, would you be willing to risk MILLIONS on someone who scored a 6?

I want our potential QB (whoever that is) to do well on the Wonderlic, but I wonder how that equates, for instance, to reading a disguised defense? A DC would have a field day with a QB from whom he can hide what the defense is doing. The teams seriously considering taking Young, Leinart, or Cutler will have them break down film. I realize they don't do that at game speed, but that should help them test his football intelligence.

Per a Tennessean article this morning, the NFL does not release these test scores. So it has to be an leak of some kind which won't be confirmed anytime soon.

Take a peek at some past QBs scores:
http://www.unc.edu/~mirabile/Wonderlic.htm

Drew Henson got a 42. Akili Smith 37. Dan Marino 15.

Though a six is a concern, it needs to be taken in context. You can bet that Young will be interviewed at depth in a future Baptist Sports Park visit and the Titans will get a solid idea whether or not he'll be able to grasp an NFL offense.

Looking at that list, there is no link to the test score and NFL success. All it tells you is Young would not be a good scientist and Einstein wouldn't be a good QB. That said, I did not see too many single digit scores. Chances are Young will take it again once or twice (after some practice tests) and his score will end up around 15. His agent should be shot for not having him prepared the first time though!

royhobbs said:
Looking at that list, there is no link to the test score and NFL success.
None of those guys got a 6. Young's score was just 40% of what McNair and Marino scored, and yet they were considered low for a QB.

ChitownTitan said:
Profootballtalk is reporting that Young scored a 6 on his wonderlic. Again, that's a six. Out of fifty. Or to put it another way, dumb as a brick.

If this is the case there is no way you draft him in the first round at all. How are you supposed to train a "project" when he can't even read "Dick and Jane" books.
Whats makes this even more funny... I think you get a point for filling out your name. Yeah, he can read pro style defenses... I'm sure of it.

RollTide said:
Why not look up what the wonderlic is rather than say what you think it might be?

A description.
"Used by a variety of employers, the Wonderlic Personnel Test (WPT) is a general test of problem solving ability that many consider to be the best measure of intelligence."

So yes it is an intelligence test. Not an apptitude test.

A valid IQ test is based on the Bell Curve. Scores are reported as Standard Scores, which are based on a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15…meaning that 68% of the population has an IQ between 85 and 115. Any test that reports numbers correct is not an IQ test because numbers correct does not tell you how a person performed when compared to his peers. An IQ test is not an equal-interval test, meaning that a score of 100 is not exactly twice as good as a score of 50. The Wonderlic purports to be a test of problem solving ability, which is only one small avenue of IQ. It reports number correct, meaning that it is not norm-referenced and thus cannot be an IQ test. Of course, it does not purport to be an IQ test, so therefore, it is not falsely representing itself. As you said "is a general test of problem solving ability that many consider to be the best measure of intelligence." They are using a test of problem solving ability as an INDICATER of intelligence, when according to most experts it is only a piece of intelligence. They are not selling it as an IQ test. They are writing it so that those that don't know much about iq tests can take it that way- thats called marketing. But if you also notice those that do know about iq tests can also read it and they are still not falsely representing the product- thats called clever marketing.

Examples of IQ tests are Woodcock Johnson III, Standord-Binet V, Weschler Adult Intelligenct Scale, Kaufman Assessment Battery for Children-2nd Edition- All of which have to be given by trained professionals.

Now the rest about averages, cultural differences, and norming, I really dont feel like taking the time to explain it to Tide. There is too much venom in your posts. Get a book on Psychometrics. :rolleyes:

If anyone elso has questions, of course I don't mind.

TitanJeff said:
Per a Tennessean article this morning, the NFL does not release these test scores. So it has to be an leak of some kind which won't be confirmed anytime soon.

The NFL might not, but obviously the scores get out, hence your link.

PragIdealist said:
A valid IQ test is based on the Bell Curve. Scores are reported as Standard Scores, which are based on a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15…meaning that 68% of the population has an IQ between 85 and 115. Any test that reports numbers correct is not an IQ test because numbers correct does not tell you how a person performed when compared to his peers. An IQ test is not an equal-interval test, meaning that a score of 100 is not exactly twice as good as a score of 50. The Wonderlic purports to be a test of problem solving ability, which is only one small avenue of IQ. It reports number correct, meaning that it is not norm-referenced and thus cannot be an IQ test. Of course, it does not purport to be an IQ test, so therefore, it is not falsely representing itself. As you said "is a general test of problem solving ability that many consider to be the best measure of intelligence." They are using a test of problem solving ability as an INDICATER of intelligence, when according to most experts it is only a piece of intelligence. They are not selling it as an IQ test. They are writing it so that those that don't know much about iq tests can take it that way- thats called marketing. But if you also notice those that do know about iq tests can also read it and they are still not falsely representing the product- thats called clever marketing.

Examples of IQ tests are Woodcock Johnson III, Standord-Binet V, Weschler Adult Intelligenct Scale, Kaufman Assessment Battery for Children-2nd Edition- All of which have to be given by trained professionals.

Now the rest about averages, cultural differences, and norming, I really dont feel like taking the time to explain it to Tide. There is too much venom in your posts. Get a book on Psychometrics. :rolleyes:

If anyone elso has questions, of course I don't mind.

Good explanation of statistical normal curves and IQ tests. Still, this test is measured to look at IQ. Looking at the test myself, and taking it, it doesn't seem like an aptitude test at all.

KamikaZ said:
Good explanation of statistical normal curves and IQ tests. Still, this test is measured to look at IQ. Looking at the test myself, and taking it, it doesn't seem like an aptitude test at all.

It may not be aptitude, reading the description and looking at it deeper this morning. It is looking at problem solving ability. Thats also not iq, which is my point. But you're right it probably isnt aptitude. (I have no problem acknowleding mistakes. :winker: )

I would still say its not really designed to measure intelligence. Its just used as a quick indicator of intelligence. To me thats an important difference, because its full of flaws.

Looking at the list of previous Wonderlic's, everyone who scored lower than a 15, were very solid College QBs, but never amounted to anything as a pro. The list includes, Tee Martin(Tennessee Favorite, won the big game I might add, opposed to the horrible Peyton Manning)the great Heath Shuler, Ell Roberson, Michael Bishop, etc. These guys all have one thing in common, they are all dual threats, run and pass QBs, just like Young and weren't able to complete their success in the Pro environment, NOT because of a lack of athleticism, but because they couldn't process defenses.

If it was an accurate test of intelligence, you wouldn't see people taking the test over and doubling their scores (unless they cheated :p).

I was surprised to see that the average chemist score was only 31. I'm not sure I believe some of this data to be honest. Even so, scoring a 6 on a multiple choice test means that not only are you a complete idiot... you don't even have good luck. If he made a 6, I'm not drafting him anywhere in the top 10.

nigel said:
The NFL might not, but obviously the scores get out, hence your link.
But look at the language used. "With pro prospects running and jumping inside the RCA Dome, word outside began to spread that Young scored a six on the Wonderlic test given to prospects."

It doesn't say the score was a 6. It said word spread that it was a 6. So it is, and will likely remain, only a rumor.

TitanJeff said:
Just ask Ricky Williams about the NFL's confidential drug testing results...

Starkiller said:
Just ask Ricky Williams about the NFL's confidential drug testing results...
Did the NFL release information of his first offense? I didn't know they were obligated to keep anything beyond that confidential.

The NFL basically isn't allowed to release anything about testing other than the fact that they have suspended a player and how long the suspension is.

Confidential info gets leaked out all the time. The media always has "sources" inside the league offices.

metal957 said:
lets see what you say about him if we do draft him and he starts producin in a few years what then?
Peyton Manning produced immediately. The 1998 Colts record did not reflect it at 3-13 but Peyton Manning had 3739 passing yards, good for third in the league and first in the AFC. This was for a team that not only failed to make the playoffs but only won 3 games all year in his rookie season. The boy can call some audibles and it's a test for reasoning in basic principle. Just think of all the raw athletic talent Manning lacks?:suspect: Could anyone here underate a 40? :suspect: It's a test too. The results of all these various tests are things that I would call indicators. Has anyone ever seen Peyton Manning over-think his way to a loss? Manning sees too much. Still, Vince Young needs more of what Peyton Manning has (or had at VYoung's age) ... perhaps he'd produce right out of the box? :suspect: Everybody knows Manning could use a touch more of what Vince Young has.:suspect:

Starkiller said:
The NFL basically isn't allowed to release anything about testing other than the fact that they have suspended a player and how long the suspension is.

Confidential info gets leaked out all the time. The media always has "sources"
Right. I'm just not following your example of Ricky Williams. I don't think it took a rocket scientist to know what substance was the issue with him once the NFL said he's been found in violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back