Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Fighter - 9/10
Awesome movie. Felt like I was watching a classic. I'm a big fan of Bale and Wahlberg, and the acting was great all around. I've never cared too much for Amy Adams, but she did a great job too. The only thing I was scratching my head about was Micky's (Mark Wahlberg's) weight which was 146 lbs. There's just no way.

Micky Ward was only like 5'7"-5'8", so weighing only 146 lbs is very plausible. Floyd Mayweather is about the same height and weight and pretty much has the same looking bulk. And plus, 146 was probably the limit (or close to) for his weight class anyway, so he couldn't be heavier.

Why does Christian Bale have to gain/lose so much weight in all of his roles??? The dude is jacked in both Batman films, smaller than anyone I know in the Machinist, and about my size (but more awkward shaped) in The Fighter.

Commitment.

From a super hero to a crackhead. That would require losing weight and vice versa. What he's doing definitely ain't healthy, but hey, as I said, the guy is committed to his work.

I just wish it were that easy for me to bulk up. Lol

I don't doubt that was Micky Ward's actual weight, but Wahlberg??? No way. That's all I'm saying.

Well, I just don't gain weight, at all. I eat more than my friend who's 275 lbs and my friend who's 290 lbs.

I'm only 165... losing weight, now that's easy for me. If I don't eat at least 4000 calories a day, I'll start losing weight.

There's seriously something wrong with my metabolism. In two years I bet it'll slow down and I'll be obese.

There's no way Wahlberg was any where close to Ward's fighting weight for The Fighter. Just no way. Their body types are pretty different.

He did a good job in it, but never once was I like "wow, they really got his body to look like Ward's". Wahlberg's arms especially are way bigger than any legit welter, especially roughly a decade ago.

Still, they at least tried to make him look like a welter, unlike some boxing films where middle weights are played by guys who are weighing in at 250 lbs.

127 Hours - 9/10

Couldn't have been any better. To take a story so confined and isolated and make it work so well is impressive. Franco did an awesome job. Such a shame he had to be in the Your Highness crapfest.

The Fighter - 9/10

Awesome movie. Felt like I was watching a classic. I'm a big fan of Bale and Wahlberg, and the acting was great all around. I've never cared too much for Amy Adams, but she did a great job too. The only thing I was scratching my head about was Micky's (Mark Wahlberg's) weight which was 146 lbs. There's just no way. Why does Christian Bale have to gain/lose so much weight in all of his roles??? The dude is jacked in both Batman films, smaller than anyone I know in the Machinist, and about my size (but more awkward shaped) in The Fighter.

Both movies make my top 5 list of 2010, easily.

Told ya.

I'll just start asking you about movies from here on and vice versa. lol

Wahlberg was ripped. Ward never looked very built. Pretty average framed guy when it comes to muscle-definition compared to most boxers.

The guy was never an athletic specimen, whereas Wahlberg has a large physique, and it comes from good genes and a fairly long-standing lifting regime. Even at his heaviest, Ward was fairly lean and stringy, even for a welter.

I hated the casting when I first heard it, because Wahlberg's body looks nothing like a fighter below 170. But they tried.

I just wish it were that easy for me to bulk up. Lol

You're probably a hardgainer like me. Took me a lot of time and effort to get where I want to be. If you're serious about trying to bulk up, some common advice:

- Eat, eat, eat but eat more smaller meals opposed to 3 big meals.

- Don't overtrain. That should be obvious. Every body is different and some recover faster than others, so people have different definitions of overtraining. Look into it and google some symptoms of overtraining.

- Change up your routine. You'll get results faster and more efficiently when you keep your muscles guessing.

- If you're going to take supplements (which I don't recommend), research, research, research. A lot of supplements that are viewed as safe, aren't based on long term studies.

I don't doubt that was Micky Ward's actual weight, but Wahlberg??? No way. That's all I'm saying.

At the end of the day, it's still a movie lol.

Keep in mind Wahlberg is also short in real life and is stumpy. Depending on his body fat, I'd say he was probably in the 165 range maybe even a little less.

Battle Royale 2

Since I consider Battle Royale a flawed masterpiece and one of my favorite movies of all time, I put off watching the sequel, after hearing nothing but negative reviews, and didn't want to risk the sequel tarnishing its legacy for me. But yeah, eventually I just said screw it...

Oh man. The first 30 minutes of the movie was actually pretty good, I was thinking "wtf is everyone talking about, this is awesome so far..."

What the hell happened lol? It just completely fell apart from there. And I'll just leave it at that and not go into details (no need to, it is what everyone says it is). I decided to go easy because the director for the first one died before he could start shooting the sequel and his son wanted to finish his work, which is understandable. But he just wasn't his dad, not even close, but respect to him for trying.

Still, the rugby dive has to go down as one of the greatest moments in cinema history (no sarcasm), really, it was one of those "so terrible that it was amazing" moments. I'm never literally ROFL, but I've never been closer to doing so because of that scene.

3/10 for the movie. 10/10 for the rugby dive. Oh, what the hell, because that one scene made me laugh so hard, I'll bump the rating to a 4/10.

Martyrs effectively serves to gross you out but the story isn't so interesting. I'll go with Calvaire as tops for me in the French/Belgian disturbing Gorror realm.. Frontiers, Haute Tension just behind that. Inside as well..

Watched Martyrs again...

First half was by far stronger. Martyrs is definitely gross, but if you're a big gorehound, Martyrs won't be anything special if you watch it for shock value alone. Read reviews after watching, and the infamous flaying scene that everyone was freaking out about, was pretty weak sauce, not going to lie. I'm not even a gorehound and Lucie's "demon" freaked me out more than any of the gore in the movie.

As I said, the first half was great. The acting was great, story was great, it was emotional, and Lucie's character really draws you in (omg, those gorgeous eyes of hers!). And then the second half... Either they ran out of material after an hour and thought 40 minutes of senseless torture would make up for it, or the director wanted to piss off the audience by putting our "hero" in a no win situation after an emotionally draining first hour, just when it looked like salvation arrived.

Haute Tension was great, honestly had potential to be an iconic slasher, until the dumb, cop out "twist" which turned the plot into Swiss cheese.

I didn't know swiss cheese had plot holes.

I agree with High Tension, the ending kind of flawed it for me but not by much. It was still a highly effective film. I love "Inside" purely for the story and the gore. Frontiers is kind of like the French TCM but with less grit.

I didn't know swiss cheese had plot holes.

I agree with High Tension, the ending kind of flawed it for me but not by much. It was still a highly effective film. I love "Inside" purely for the story and the gore. Frontiers is kind of like the French TCM but with less grit.

Fixed. :)

Sorry, the ending tarnished the first 80 minutes of the film for me, such a shame. Without posting spoilers, when you have that kind of "twist" that's been used plenty of times, don't be lazy, instead, go back and make sure your movie still makes sense, ya know.

Have you seen Cutting Moments? Even just being 20 minutes long, it still drinks both Martyrs' and Haute Tension's milkshake.

Fixed. :)

Sorry, the ending tarnished the first 80 minutes of the film for me, such a shame. Without posting spoilers, when you have that kind of "twist" that's been used plenty of times, don't be lazy, instead, go back and make sure your movie still makes sense, ya know.

Have you seen Cutting Moments? Even just being 20 minutes long, it still drinks both Martyrs' and Haute Tension's milkshake.

I agree. SO many movies do that these days.

I completely agree with Cutting Moments, what a crazy short. It packs just as much of a punch (if not more than) Martyrs and Haute Tension COMBINED.

I just got out of Scream 4.

It's better than the 3rd, not quite as good as the 2nd and nowhere near as good as the original. All and all, it's a serviceable horror film but lacked that punch in the end.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lyrUSr-Gbl8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vJoXfTxOEuw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> Looks interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back