Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
It is time to blow it up - Gotta figure out how to get a QB. Tannehill, Lewan, Dupree, Cunningham all either need to take serious pay cuts or be cut. Need to keep Tanny until we get someone that has a chance at least to succeed. Let's face it Willis is an absolute joke. The guy can't even hit a 10 yard pass.

Need to lose the next two games and maybe we can do something to trade up. But man I think with this team we have hit the ceiling.

The thought of trading up or tanking for a QB has no merit. There is no QB worth taking this year in the draft in the first round and the idea that just because you have a top pick and need a QB, that the QB will be Peyton Manning is just not realistic.

THill is likely the QB next year. With zero prospects available to look for, I’m all for giving THill a couple more years in Tennessee and try to spread that contract out to a lower number.

If a young QB happens to get on the team, titans still have THill as a backup or starter until the backup is ready.

The thought of trading up or tanking for a QB has no merit. There is no QB worth taking this year in the draft in the first round and the idea that just because you have a top pick and need a QB, that the QB will be Peyton Manning is just not realistic.

THill is likely the QB next year. With zero prospects available to look for, I’m all for giving THill a couple more years in Tennessee and try to spread that contract out to a lower number.

If a young QB happens to get on the team, titans still have THill as a backup or starter until the backup is ready.

Given the new pay scale, the franchise QB should be the FINAL piece of the puzzle. I would build up my team from the inside out, start with the lines, then sKill positions, and the QB last. So for the Titans, no QB in next years draft, then aim for Drake May the year after...

Last edited by a moderator:

You are correct. It would make zero sense to cut Tannehill after this season.

There are so many holes on this team, especially offensively, to fill before we need to upgrade our QB. Yes, Tannehill could've played better in the playoffs last year but he has shown he is above average when we have a component team. There are no good young QBs that would succeed here. Think about the last few drafts. Pickett, Ridder, WIllis, Corral, Trevor Lawrence, Zach WIlson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, Mac Jones, Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Jordan Love, Hurts.

Seen above, the hit rate on QB is so low, and even if we do hit - look at the shit roster we have. They would marginally be an upgrade over Tannehill anyway.

I understand Tannehill's cap situation. If we think next year will be a total flop then maybe move him since he is getting older but overall just picking a QB for the sake of it is not going to move this team in the right direction any time soon

The Titans went 14 years after Steve McNair left, before they found or settled on a QB that could hold a candle to Steve's success. It will not be easy for the Titans to start looking again because it might be another 14 years before another is found. Some teams can just reload at the QB position, but Titans are not one of those teams. Blame it on a number of factors, but if we let Tannehill go, our regular season success may go with him, and for a long time. Cough Cough don't forget about the "Stadium Factor" as well.

My recommendation which is worth less than 2¢ would be to keep Tannehill and start bringing in as many QB's as we can over the next few seasons and hope we strike gold.

Keep Tanny and Malik another year and build the OL and receiver core around them. That should be priority #1. Lewan could stay but for backup money.
Resign Demarcus Walker and Teair Tart if possible. A lineup of Landry-Simmons-Tart-Walker-Autry will be formidable. Dupree is obviously gone.
I like Fulton/Mcreary/Avery as #2,3 &4 but we really need a solid vet addition. Not signing James Bradberry when he came available was a mistake. After OL & WR, CB is our biggest need.
I’m torn on resigning Long Jr. I just don’t know what his market will be. Monty Rice is a solid starter, but if we lose Long Jr, we basically have Dr. Gibby starting next to Rice. Not sure that’s adequate. If we can extend Long Jr for a reasonable price, resigning him would be solid. Obviously Cunningham is cut.

It is time to blow it up - Gotta figure out how to get a QB. Tannehill, Lewan, Dupree, Cunningham all either need to take serious pay cuts or be cut. Need to keep Tanny until we get someone that has a chance at least to succeed. Let's face it Willis is an absolute joke. The guy can't even hit a 10 yard pass.

Need to lose the next two games and maybe we can do something to trade up. But man I think with this team we have hit the ceiling.
Cut everyone mentioned above get those contracts off the books. Use new Cap capital and draft to rebuild the OL. Next year roll with Willis and tank for the #1 pick. Draft your QB, Caleb Williams.

All the teams in the division have done the same thing, Texans doing it now, tanking. I know a lot of people don't want to do it but it's the only way to hopefully find your QB of the future and we need that. Jags coming up with Lawrence. Texans probably gonna take Young, if we don't figure out the QB problem here in Nashville it's gonna get ugly for us.

Keep Tanny and Malik another year and build the OL and receiver core around them. That should be priority #1. Lewan could stay but for backup money.
Resign Demarcus Walker and Teair Tart if possible. A lineup of Landry-Simmons-Tart-Walker-Autry will be formidable. Dupree is obviously gone.
I like Fulton/Mcreary/Avery as #2,3 &4 but we really need a solid vet addition. Not signing James Bradberry when he came available was a mistake. After OL & WR, CB is our biggest need.
I’m torn on resigning Long Jr. I just don’t know what his market will be. Monty Rice is a solid starter, but if we lose Long Jr, we basically have Dr. Gibby starting next to Rice. Not sure that’s adequate. If we can extend Long Jr for a reasonable price, resigning him would be solid. Obviously Cunningham is cut.
I must say that I like everything here. That's exactly how i would handle the offseason if I were the one making the calls.

Cut everyone mentioned above get those contracts off the books. Use new Cap capital and draft to rebuild the OL. Next year roll with Willis and tank for the #1 pick. Draft your QB, Caleb Williams.

All the teams in the division have done the same thing, Texans doing it now, tanking. I know a lot of people don't want to do it but it's the only way to hopefully find your QB of the future and we need that. Jags coming up with Lawrence. Texans probably gonna take Young, if we don't figure out the QB problem here in Nashville it's gonna get ugly for us.
Yep, they’ve all done it.
Jags multiple times. It’s worked out every time with Gabbert, Bortles, then Lawrence and only had to tank 11 of 12 seasons.
Colts tanked to get manning in 98 then accidentally tanked in 2011 for Luck. They got 3-4 seasons out of Luck.
Texans tanked and got Watson only to trade him and actually do better with guys like Yates.

Proof positive tanking works

:sarcasm:

Yep, they’ve all done it.
Jags multiple times. It’s worked out every time with Gabbert, Bortles, then Lawrence and only had to tank 11 of 12 seasons.
Colts tanked to get manning in 98 then accidentally tanked in 2011 for Luck. They got 3-4 seasons out of Luck.
Texans tanked and got Watson only to trade him and actually do better with guys like Yates.

Proof positive tanking works

:sarcasm:
Tanking makes a toxic locker room. Very tough to come out of that. We did it and got Mariota and then a "king's ransom". And JRob blew it. And attempted to make up for it by overpaying for injury riddled former B+/A- players. The bottom line is you have to scout well, develop well and have excellent coaching to consistency. And it doesn't hurt to get lucky on a player or two.

Fans don't want to pay to see their team lose at home. And we're about to have a new stadium. Tanking just isn't an option. We MUST hit on ALL ROUNDS of our drafts. And our core vets need to take a pay cut to bring in depth. They won't do that unless they believe management/ownership is focused on winning and then THEN paying for the results. I think AAS is there.

Tanking makes a toxic locker room. Very tough to come out of that. We did it and got Mariota and then a "king's ransom". And JRob blew it. And attempted to make up for it by overpaying for injury riddled former B+/A- players. The bottom line is you have to scout well, develop well and have excellent coaching to consistency. And it doesn't hurt to get lucky on a player or two.

Fans don't want to pay to see their team lose at home. And we're about to have a new stadium. Tanking just isn't an option. We MUST hit on ALL ROUNDS of our drafts. And our core vets need to take a pay cut to bring in depth. They won't do that unless they believe management/ownership is focused on winning and then THEN paying for the results. I think AAS is there.
Agree.
Its not proof to just call the idea of tanking stupid until people review all the actual existence of how tanking is not just a terrible strategy but proof positive that it doesn’t work.

The focus of the offseason should really be fixing the OL. Lewan will be gone and Jones may be as well because of injury history. Really not anyone else on that line I would feel comfortable putting out there for 17 games next season, unless you want to get Tannehill, Willis, or someone else killed.

Fix the OL, and while the offense may not still be as explosive, it should become competent. And if the defense continues to perform well at full strength, that might be enough to get back to be a fringe contender as they retool other positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back