Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willis does not deserve “the nod” nor is he NFL ready in any sense of the word. If he starts next year the season will be even worse than this year. If Tannehill doesn’t restructure, or need to depending on who gets released, then we need another bridge guy to hold things together.
In Tennessee, if Woodside got the nod multiple years, hard to argue Willis won’t also. That better be as backup. Since he’s a rookie and 3rd round, it costs almost nothing to keep him and the titans have too many other holes than to fight or argue over backup QB.
That said, the starter needs solidified. Maybe that’s THill on his current contract which I believe next year is his last and pretty expensive still or he re-structures an extension at a cheaper cap hit. Still a lot of time but it may not be him at all.

I like the idea of the lunch pail kind of guys considering the style of football Tennessee operates with but he definitely overlooked the part about being healthy lunch pail guys, They can’t play tough hard nosed football from the sidelines. Farley is equally as bad a pick as Wilson at this time, just less embarrassing off the field.
Farley is a worse pick than Wilson because Farley has actually hurt the Titans with his poor play on the field while Wilson never saw the field…

The 2 most important things for QBs success is a good OL and a good OC…. We have neither…we need to fix those issues and then address QB

In Tennessee, if Woodside got the nod multiple years, hard to argue Willis won’t also. That better be as backup. Since he’s a rookie and 3rd round, it costs almost nothing to keep him and the titans have too many other holes than to fight or argue over backup QB.
That said, the starter needs solidified. Maybe that’s THill on his current contract which I believe next year is his last and pretty expensive still or he re-structures an extension at a cheaper cap hit. Still a lot of time but it may not be him at all.
If the Titans had a competent backup qb then they beat the Texans. Look around the league at other teams backups winning games. We really have no shot with Willis. IMO this is another reason JRob got fired was his mismanagement of the backup qb

If the Titans had a competent backup qb then they beat the Texans. Look around the league at other teams backups winning games. We really have no shot with Willis. IMO this is another reason JRob got fired was his mismanagement of the backup qb
Agreed. Relied on Woodside & then Willis. JRob truly was a bad GM.

This is almost entirely wrong and completely missed my point.

I even posted that my comment was sarcastic that it worked for any of the other teams in the division. Expand that to the rest of the league, tanking for a QB doesnt work. Competing for relevancy has nothing to do with aiming for a crap season for a chance to not have another series of crap seasons.
Tennessee failed with this a couple times as well, VY, Mariota, you could argue Locker but at least he was #11.

Next, you DO NOT NEED a “franchise QB” (whatever that is) to win a SB. THill playing like s**t during the div game, doesn’t mean the titans weren’t good enough to win it all. They beat 3 or the 4 teams in the championship games.
That overlooks that the Rams just won with a decent QB (far from great. Maybe fits whatever a “franchise QB is) and DEFENSE.

And you’re definitely mixing up seasons. In 202 when He ru reached 2K, the D was not top 5. They may have broke records on 3rd down D ineptitude. In 2019, the D was easily top 5, THill was the QB playing at a high level, and Henry had his first real breakout full season. Titans were 1 half away from the SB.

Bottom line, tanking doesn’t work, has no more chance of getting a “franchise QB” than a different draft spot and causes teams multiple season set backs at the bottom of the league more than it results in finding the right QB.

Bro if Tanny could of averaged more than a mangy 150 yards passing/game during that AFCC run we go to the Superbowl. The defense played well up to KC thats when they needed help from the offense and what they got was Henry Henry Henry. KC knew it was going to be Henry. Either Vrabel/Art were idiots(plausible) or they had no faith in Tanny.

Facts are we cant keep staying in the middle. Between being shit and being a contender. Bringing in these journeyman QBs ain't the solution. You say you don't need a franchise QB well we built a team around a Journeyman game manager QB in Tanny and got only so far. Now we sit here with an aged injured journeyman QB and everyone wants to do it over again? What's the definition of insanity? Time to try something new.

Bro if Tanny could of averaged more than a mangy 150 yards passing/game during that AFCC run we go to the Superbowl. The defense played well up to KC thats when they needed help from the offense and what they got was Henry Henry Henry. KC knew it was going to be Henry. Either Vrabel/Art were idiots(plausible) or they had no faith in Tanny.

Facts are we cant keep staying in the middle. Between being **** and being a contender. Bringing in these journeyman QBs ain't the solution. You say you don't need a franchise QB well we built a team around a Journeyman game manager QB in Tanny and got only so far. Now we sit here with an aged injured journeyman QB and everyone wants to do it over again? What's the definition of insanity? Time to try something new.
So what's your solution at QB? Draft a higher round one? Hasn't worked for SF and NYJ yet, we need a Mahomes, Allen or Herbert...not a Zach Wilson

The post I responded to suggested Willis gets the nod to start next year if Tannehill doesn’t stay. While I don’t think Willis is even a capable back-up right now, I don’t care if he stays as a number 3. The new GM will not have the same investment in him JR did so he may review his play and decide he can do better.

No argument there.
Have no idea what the love to keep woodside was but the issues were even before him with Cassel, Gabbert, and Clipboard Jesus.

I don’t really have issue with trying to use Willis as the backup this year because he’s a rookie, definitely hyped more than he should have been, but THill is tough so there really wasn’t expectations that he’d have to play.

the fact that he has, shows how behind the NFL curve he is and that he’s not a valid backup, at least right now. I don’t expect that to change, but I’m ok giving him more time.

I will point out that backups around the league are pretty weak.
Of the couple that are winning games, it’s more despite their play or they’re on bad teams with no chance anyway.
Couple examples:
Huntley has a pretty good ratbirds team. He sucks but they’re able to scrape together a couple Ws anyway.
SF has a great team around any QB that just doesn’t turn the ball over. I don’t think Pursy is particularly good, but safe football is all they need.
Rudder in ATL, sucks
Rypien in Den, sucks
Odd in NYJ town, White is actually their best QB, but Wilson sucks and I don’t think Streveler or Flacco are the answer.
Rush has a good Dallas team, he’s not good.
Heinicke has an ok team and plays ok.
Indy sucks with all starters and backups.

im sure there’s more.

Facts are we cant keep staying in the middle. Between being **** and being a contender. Bringing in these journeyman QBs ain't the solution. You say you don't need a franchise QB well we built a team around a Journeyman game manager QB in Tanny and got only so far. Now we sit here with an aged injured journeyman QB and everyone wants to do it over again? What's the definition of insanity? Time to try something new.
A, the Henry strategy worked for the first half against KC and that also includes when Tennessee beat them earlier in the year. That game isn’t on THill but the D giving out.

B you’re mistaking where they ended last year as the ceiling. THill is good enough to win and “game manager” is all teams need. Thank Heyzues in Colts town that they didn’t throw in the towel on that Peyton Manning guy for having bad playoff performances (and many more than THill).

now on that note, please check out the final 4 teams year after year. You’ll see plenty of game managers and teams that don’t have “franchise QBs”. It’s a fallacy to think you MUST have a superstar QB. It’s just not true.
What is true, is you MUST have a good Defense. Check the record books on that and tell me how many final 4 teams didn’t have a top 10 D? The large majority of them did.

The post I responded to suggested Willis gets the nod to start next year if Tannehill doesn’t stay. While I don’t think Willis is even a capable back-up right now, I don’t care if he stays as a number 3. The new GM will not have the same investment in him JR did so he may review his play and decide he can do better.
Yea, Willis cannot be the starter.
I really don’t think that much of an investment was put on him though. 3rd round for a guy that was hyped as a 1st rounder isn’t bad at all. I’d love for the team to not have all the other holes and a capable 3rd to have filled one, but backup was a hole and this guy was supposedly a steal. No issue there.

he has proven he stinks though and not worth anymore investment.

No argument there.
Have no idea what the love to keep woodside was but the issues were even before him with Cassel, Gabbert, and Clipboard Jesus.

I don’t really have issue with trying to use Willis as the backup this year because he’s a rookie, definitely hyped more than he should have been, but THill is tough so there really wasn’t expectations that he’d have to play.

the fact that he has, shows how behind the NFL curve he is and that he’s not a valid backup, at least right now. I don’t expect that to change, but I’m ok giving him more time.

I will point out that backups around the league are pretty weak.
Of the couple that are winning games, it’s more despite their play or they’re on bad teams with no chance anyway.
Couple examples:
Huntley has a pretty good ratbirds team. He sucks but they’re able to scrape together a couple Ws anyway.
SF has a great team around any QB that just doesn’t turn the ball over. I don’t think Pursy is particularly good, but safe football is all they need.
Rudder in ATL, sucks
Rypien in Den, sucks
Odd in NYJ town, White is actually their best QB, but Wilson sucks and I don’t think Streveler or Flacco are the answer.
Rush has a good Dallas team, he’s not good.
Heinicke has an ok team and plays ok.
Indy sucks with all starters and backups.

im sure there’s more.
Clipboard Heysuse was the best of the three you mentioned. I was at a game against the Jags he helped bail out a win.

I really don’t think that much of an investment was put on him though. 3rd round for a guy that was hyped as a 1st rounder isn’t bad at all. I’d love for the team to not have all the other holes and a capable 3rd to have filled one, but backup was a hole and this guy was supposedly a steal. No issue there.

No one with any actual football knowledge hyped him as a 1st rounder though. That mess was press driven, hence his 3rd round “drop”. Who knows, if JR didn’t prematurely speculate, he may have dropped even further.

No one with any actual football knowledge hyped him as a 1st rounder though. That mess was press driven, hence his 3rd round “drop”. Who knows, if JR didn’t prematurely speculate, he may have dropped even further.
That’s fair and there’s some receipts round these parts I should look into.
Definitely a few people who thought for sure Willis was a steal.

I think most people were hopeful of upgrading QB2 with hopefully mw7 being QB1 post T17... which on draft day is a reasonable position

it is clear now mw7 blows donkey anus and does not deserve a roster spot in the NFL... today... mw7 is literally stealing opportunity from someone every snap mw7 takes

Can you imagine if someone did take Willis in the first?! That would have been one of the top all time QB busts.

I know it was the third round and can't expect a whole lot... But would have been better off drafting a good kicker than taking Willis.

Can you imagine if someone did take Willis in the first?! That would have been one of the top all time QB busts.

I know it was the third round and can't expect a whole lot... But would have been better off drafting a good kicker than taking Willis.
Hindsight is 20/20. He could have gotten his name up there with Ryan Leaf maybe.

while I’d love to see any effort towards a real K, I can only imagine how pissed people would be spending a 3rd on one.

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back