Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
#NFL owners approved the new kickoff proposal modeled after the XFL, per Adam Schefter

NEW NFL KICKOFF RULES

•The kicking team, other than the kicker, cannot move until the ball hits the ground or player in the landing zone or the end zone.

•All players on the receiving team in the setup zone cannot move until the kick has hit the ground or a player in the landing or end zone.

•Any kick that hits in the Landing Zone must be returned.

•Any kick hits before the landing zone is a touchback to the 40.

•If a kick hits the Landing Zone, rolls into the end zone, and is downed, it’s touchback to the 20.

•If a kick lands in the end zone or goes out the back, it’s a touchback to the 35.

*Per NFL Stats

I honestly think this looks pretty stupid. But we’ll see how it works out.
The “live ball” scenario is done, not that it was a common thing at all.

doesn’t explain how an onside kick would work either so if someone has the new rule for that, please add it.

League wants more points scored.

Which is a silly concept. Look at the NBA as it's unwatchable these days because they wanted more points. Well they got it and now they're trying to figure out how to get the NBA back to normal as the scores are absolutely ridiculous.

Onside Kick

“What we did preserve is we got the onside kick in its current format, same lineup, same rules, same everything, and you can use it in the fourth quarter, and you can use it twice. So, if you’re trailing, and you say, ‘I want to just kick a traditional onside kick,’ you have that right under this rule.”

Onside Kick

“What we did preserve is we got the onside kick in its current format, same lineup, same rules, same everything, and you can use it in the fourth quarter, and you can use it twice. So, if you’re trailing, and you say, ‘I want to just kick a traditional onside kick,’ you have that right under this rule.”

You shouldn't have to be trailing in order to kick an onside kick. Guess the surprise onside is a thing of the past.

There's no way in hell under any circumstances that a team should be awarded the ball at the 40 yard line.
40 yard line if it lands outside the 20, 35 yard line if it lands in the end zone.

Somebody really got up there and said "How can we make kickers matter more? The fans really tune in to see these kickers". And everybody nodded.

I haven’t read deeply into the rule change other than what was posted in the first post, but is there any penalty assessed if the ball goes out of bounds? Used to be a penalty and ball would be placed at the 40 (if I remember correctly). But what now…can it hit in the landing zone and be spotted where it goes out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back