Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of evidence out there that tests arent completely reliable and that some hospitals have over reported numbers (for whatever reason).

I wont make any statements about my opinion on it here, but I'll tell you that my grandfather died a couple of weeks ago. He was on the verge of death and on breathing machines for months. When he passed I was told it was due to covid. I never once was told that he tested for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wouldn't mind empty stadiums as the months grew on me -- the audio interactivity with the players would be the highest it's ever been... with audible calls, motions, the trash talk, helmets cracking. In it's own small way, it could make the game more personal for the fan.

Makes you really wonder if this is a normal occurence...

The Governor of Ohio tested positive one day --- the next day, he tested negative...
Give me football and if they dont even have water boys I wont give 1 iota of a bit of a smidge of a crap.

Makes you really wonder if this is a normal occurence...

The Governor of Ohio tested positive one day --- the next day, he tested negative...

To play devils advocate for a second...

Plenty of people have recovered. So in order to recover, you need to return a positive, and then a negative test result.

Doesn't your statement just define a recovery?

Plenty of evidence out there that tests arent completely reliable and that some hospitals have over reported numbers (for whatever reason).

I wont make any statements about my opinion on it here, but I'll tell you that my grandfather died a couple of weeks ago. He was on the verge of death and on breathing machines for months. When he passed I was told it was due to covid. I never once was told that he tested for it.
I know in Alabama to even be admitted to the hospital you have to have a test. My grandfather just had to go to the hospital and ended up with 3 different tests, all came back negative luckily.

Also they're testing people post-mortem to see if they had it when they passed.

One thing I do find very intersting is Europe's death/infection rate vs the US. So as of today, the US had ~5.3M total cases, with 168k deaths. Thats a death rate of 3.2% of the people who have tested positive for it.

I took a sample of some of the largest countries in Europe (Germany, UK, France, Italy, Spain, Belgium, and Poland) and while their total cases are much lower, at ~1.5M, the deaths were nearly equal to the US at 161k. That's a death rate of 10.8%, which is crazy high.

So that makes me wonder, is the US just able to keep people alive better, or is Europe not picking up on a lot of their positives? It's also possible that the US is counting every single positive test as its own case, even if the same person gets tested multiple times while infected. That would mean we have fewer people who actually have the virus, but our death rate would actually be higher.

Either way, this is not something you want to get, whether sick or healthy. The best chance of surivavl is 97%, but could be as low as 85%... I don't like those odds at all. I don't care if they say a young, healthy person has a better chance, it's not a guarantee.

I know in Alabama to even be admitted to the hospital you have to have a test. My grandfather just had to go to the hospital and ended up with 3 different tests, all came back negative luckily.

Also they're testing people post-mortem to see if they had it when they passed.

One thing I do find very intersting is Europe's death/infection rate vs the US. So as of today, the US had ~5.3M total cases, with 168k deaths. Thats a death rate of 3.2% of the people who have tested positive for it.

I took a sample of some of the largest countries in Europe (Germany, UK, France, Italy, Spain, Belgium, and Poland) and while their total cases are much lower, at ~1.5M, the deaths were nearly equal to the US at 161k. That's a death rate of 10.8%, which is crazy high.

So that makes me wonder, is the US just able to keep people alive better, or is Europe not picking up on a lot of their positives? It's also possible that the US is counting every single positive test as its own case, even if the same person gets tested multiple times while infected. That would mean we have fewer people who actually have the virus, but our death rate would actually be higher.

Either way, this is not something you want to get, whether sick or healthy. The best chance of surivavl is 97%, but could be as low as 85%... I don't like those odds at all. I don't care if they say a young, healthy person has a better chance, it's not a guarantee.
Seems simple to me. We are just administering more tests and they are only testing the very ill.

Seems simple to me. We are just administering more tests and they are only testing the very ill.
That's somewhat true. The US has administered 67M+ tests. The countries I looked at combined for 45M, which is 33% less.

But even then, the difference in testing doesn't really add up to big difference in total cases.

That's somewhat true. The US has administered 67M+ tests. The countries I looked at combined for 45M, which is 33% less.

But even then, the difference in testing doesn't really add up to big difference in total cases.

You can't just look at pure number of tests, you have to look at the number of tests per millions of population. Some countries don't even have 67 million people to test.

You can't just look at pure number of tests, you have to look at the number of tests per millions of population. Some countries don't even have 67 million people to test.
The combined population of the countries I cited was ~370M, so a little more than the US.

Not taking a side but the numbers of test is a rather useless stat. It depends on how many people you test. Europe and the USA have about the same population. If we both administered the same number of tests and had the same number of infected that still wouldnt mean anything if one group is retreating people at a higher rate. Stattistics like this are very hard to figure out. Not saying the powers that be dont know these numbers I just haven't seen them.

Not taking a side but the numbers of test is a rather useless stat. It depends on how many people you test. Europe and the USA have about the same population. If we both administered the same number of tests and had the same number of infected that still wouldnt mean anything if one group is retreating people at a higher rate. Stattistics like this are very hard to figure out. Not saying the powers that be dont know these numbers I just haven't seen them.
The percentage of positive tests are very telling numbers. CDC, John Hopkins, etc says 5% or less is “acceptable”. Anything higher is a problem. US 7 day moving average is at about 7.5%. TN recently reported 5 consecutive days under 10% for the first time in a while.
(At one point I believe it was Arizona that was at 20%-25% positives. Not good. I think it has come down.)

That sickening thud of when Henry plows into Jaguars’ defenders is going to be super audible now, silver lining

I was just thinking about this. This is going to absolutely negate home field advantage.

Say we are done 10 and Henry, or Brown snag a big play and a key first down. Really going to be a whole new game this season, imo.

I’m so sick of all of this Covid BS. I’m not saying that there isn’t a bug going around that for a very small portion of the population could be problematic. But that’s a very small portion of the population. For everyone one else, let us get back to normal. People in the higher risk category like my in-laws or stepdad should take precautions.

Here is a Stanford study by a well respected epidemiologist, early on he was saying that the projected death rate was overblown (plus he’s Greek, so you know he’s good at math and science...lol). For most people 70 and under, the risks are about the same as the flu.

For healthy people under 50, the death rate is virtually zero. For kids under 17, the common flu killed about 5x more than Covid. 190 kids under 17 died from the flu this year.

Enough is enough, let the 99% of the population that has virtually zero risk get on with their lives. Let us go to a freaking football game if we want to for crying out loud.

Up to 300 Million People May Be Infected by Covid-19, Stanford Guru John Ioannidis Says | USA.GreekReporter.com

Last edited by a moderator:
The percentage of positive tests are very telling numbers. CDC, John Hopkins, etc says 5% or less is “acceptable”. Anything higher is a problem. US 7 day moving average is at about 7.5%. TN recently reported 5 consecutive days under 10% for the first time in a while.
(At one point I believe it was Arizona that was at 20%-25% positives. Not good. I think it has come down.)
I am not a nut job saying it is not happening. i was just saying overall numbers don't tell the whole picture. I think we should have locked down hard to start. I was just speaking from the perspective of the numbers presented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back