Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
I’m trying to think back to when we last had 5+ playmakers on the team. Burks, DHop, Henry, Spears and Chig might be our deepest collection of offensive weapons in some time.

Can anyone think of a deeper group?

I’m trying to think back to when we last had 5+ playmakers on the team. Burks, DHop, Henry, Spears and Chig might be our deepest collection of offensive weapons in some time.

Can't wait for the O-Line to gel and then we can really see what these weapons can do.

I think we’re jumping the gun on what is an offensive weapon.

Yes, those 5 guys play on offense.
Spears looks good early, love to see him continue growing.

Chig seems capable of being much more but it appears the OC has no interest in trying to use him. Hard to determine what type of weapon he really is. To date, he’s really not been as valuable as Johnnu Smith was.

Henry is the king, no question. He needs to keep getting the touches. Comparable at least to EG, CJ2K, Murray, Travis Henry.

Burks still has a lot to prove. Currently, he’s lower than Kenny Britt.

DHop has already shown some signs of being the best “proven” WR the titans ever signed. That’s a low bar but he seems the real deal. Hope he continues and for a complete season.

I just think this question doesn’t really have any merit to be asked yet. Too early for some players and we’ve done the “unstoppable offensive weapons” thing before which turned out miserably.

so if I think the offense has had similar lists to this list of offensive weapons, I’d say yes, on many occasions.

We have a team philosophy and coaching mindset of using OL to beat teams physically. Weapons are much less relevant here. And since the OL does not seem capable of living up to the philosophy, looks like the struggle bus is going keep pulling up to the stop every week.

Defense though, if they didn't have to spend so much time in the field early in the game.... this group could be special.

I just don’t understand some of you. You complain about the previous offenses and the vanilla way it was run and that we didn’t throw enough. That’s the NEW NFL is a passing league. Then the Titans finally get a somewhat younger more innovated new OC who actually will throw it more and you guys want more Henry. More Henry isn’t the answer. More balanced attack is. Change of pace and direction is. Being less predictive is. It appears they are trying to do just that. You complain about lack of TE or WR action but still want more Henry. There are only so many snaps to go around. 65 snaps yesterday on offense. Henry touched it 28 times. I think the offense will continue to get better but will only go as far as T17 can take it.

For the record and the stats don’t lie. Chig is already better than Smith was. He had a better rookie season than any season Smith had here. He will be a real weapon. The OC is using him about average. I think it needs to be more. But Kelly isn’t intentionally ignoring him. Maybe he isn’t running routes or missing assignments. I don’t know. But he is very important.

Burks is just fine. This lower than Kenny Britt crap is well, crap. Let’s let him finish this season and see where we are.

This is a new offense. But I can’t understand how people can’t see yet this offense isn’t just Henry anymore. Which is good. If T17 plays well they will succeed.

I just don’t understand some of you. You complain about the previous offenses and the vanilla way it was run and that we didn’t throw enough. That’s the NEW NFL is a passing league. Then the Titans finally get a somewhat younger more innovated new OC who actually will throw it more and you guys want more Henry. More Henry isn’t the answer. More balanced attack is. Change of pace and direction is. Being less predictive is. It appears they are trying to do just that. You complain about lack of TE or WR action but still want more Henry. There are only so many snaps to go around. 65 snaps yesterday on offense. Henry touched it 28 times. I think the offense will continue to get better but will only go as far as T17 can take it.

For the record and the stats don’t lie. Chig is already better than Smith was. He had a better rookie season than any season Smith had here. He will be a real weapon. The OC is using him about average. I think it needs to be more. But Kelly isn’t intentionally ignoring him. Maybe he isn’t running routes or missing assignments. I don’t know. But he is very important.

Burks is just fine. This lower than Kenny Britt crap is well, crap. Let’s let him finish this season and see where we are.

This is a new offense. But I can’t understand how people can’t see yet this offense isn’t just Henry anymore. Which is good. If T17 plays well they will succeed.
Winning is the Answer!

Homerisms aside, I highlighted 2 items.

more Henry is sometimes the answer, for example, week 1. The running game was working, Henry typically has better runs in such games later in the game, THill was struggling. Running the ball more made sense even if just that game. Henry being the best back in the league is the kicker for using him.

while Smith wasn’t great by any means, Chig’s rookie season to me, would rank as Smith’s 2nd/3rd best season. Not sure what metrics you used to say Smith never had a season like Chig’s last year, but his 2020 season was better than Chig’s. Even so, they’re statistically (production) wise appx the same. We could argue usage vs capability but that’s only opinion.

again, using production as the metrics, Yes, Britt was better than Burks. I’m not sure how anyone could argue that point outside of that magic word “potential”. And if we’re going down the “potential” road, the best titans WR ever has already been determined, DGB.

As far as arguing better/worse/wrong offensive scheme, at least consider what that actual thread question is.
Have we ever had a deeper offensive weapon roster than the current one? Flat answer at this point is an easy yes.

I think we’re jumping the gun on what is an offensive weapon.

Yes, those 5 guys play on offense.
Spears looks good early, love to see him continue growing.

Chig seems capable of being much more but it appears the OC has no interest in trying to use him. Hard to determine what type of weapon he really is. To date, he’s really not been as valuable as Johnnu Smith was.

Henry is the king, no question. He needs to keep getting the touches. Comparable at least to EG, CJ2K, Murray, Travis Henry.

Burks still has a lot to prove. Currently, he’s lower than Kenny Britt.

DHop has already shown some signs of being the best “proven” WR the titans ever signed. That’s a low bar but he seems the real deal. Hope he continues and for a complete season.

I just think this question doesn’t really have any merit to be asked yet. Too early for some players and we’ve done the “unstoppable offensive weapons” thing before which turned out miserably.

so if I think the offense has had similar lists to this list of offensive weapons, I’d say yes, on many occasions.
Agree with most all, especially Burks hasn’t shown enough consistency to categorize a weapon.

Henry is above all other Titan RBs including Eddie IMO. (He had McNair to keep safeties honest).

Homerisms aside, I highlighted 2 items.

more Henry is sometimes the answer, for example, week 1. The running game was working, Henry typically has better runs in such games later in the game, THill was struggling. Running the ball more made sense even if just that game. Henry being the best back in the league is the kicker for using him.

while Smith wasn’t great by any means, Chig’s rookie season to me, would rank as Smith’s 2nd/3rd best season. Not sure what metrics you used to say Smith never had a season like Chig’s last year, but his 2020 season was better than Chig’s. Even so, they’re statistically (production) wise appx the same. We could argue usage vs capability but that’s only opinion.

again, using production as the metrics, Yes, Britt was better than Burks. I’m not sure how anyone could argue that point outside of that magic word “potential”. And if we’re going down the “potential” road, the best titans WR ever has already been determined, DGB.

As far as arguing better/worse/wrong offensive scheme, at least consider what that actual thread question is.
Have we ever had a deeper offensive weapon roster than the current one? Flat answer at this point is an easy yes.

Then we agree. But Chig is better. Smith never had 450 yards and never averaged 14.1 yards per reception. Yes in Smiths best season he had more TDs. But that was career season 4. Chig is 2 games into career season 2. At best you could argue they are equals. But it took Jonnu 3 seasons to start his career to equal Chigs output to this point,

… and where in what I wrote is homerism? That term always cracks me up.

Last edited by a moderator:
If those weapons have less than 2 seconds to get open then we could have 90 weapons on the field and it'd be irrelevant

OL holds everyone else back

Then we agree. But Chig is better. Smith never had 450 yards and never averaged 14.1 yards per reception. Yes in Smiths best season he had more TDs. But that was career season 4. Chig is 2 games into career season 2. At best you could argue they are equals. But it took Jonnu 3 seasons to start his career to equal Chigs output to this point,

… and where in what I wrote is homerism? That term always cracks me up.
Smith had 448. His 8 TDs were easily better than 3.
he still had the same issues we talk about with Chig already, why don’t they use him more?

as far as your projection to the future, just like Smith, I believe Chig has the talent to produce more. Unfortunately, just like Smith, he’s in an offense that hasn’t really used a TE for real production since DW left.

homerism is when you don’t see any flaw or when you’ll argue any point that could be considered a negative towards the team. You argue this pretty consistently, I don’t think any posters would defend your case on that.
I really don’t mind, it’s just that you’re a homer.

Without being a homer, please argue the other points like Burks is better than Britt to this point.
Or even the original question, has there ever been a deeper offensive roster of weapons than this 2023 offense?

These playmakers need to start making plays consistently before we can call them playmakers.

Hopkins is off to a nice start compared to other veteran backs the Titans have signed. Optimistic about that if he can stay healthy.

I don't know what it is about Burks, but he just doesn't look like he'll ever be the superstar AJ Brown replacement that he's supposed to be. I think he can be a solid WR but so far expectations seem way higher than his actual play to me.

Chig needs to be more involved. Seems the Titans haven't really used TE's consistently since Delanie Walker.

Henry, well we know what he can do. Obviously Kelly is getting away from the run,run,run philosophy, but he shouldn't forget Henry is still the best back in the league.

Spears has been impressive so far. Above expectations in my opinion. We'll see how much of a weapon he can be throughout the season.

Smith had 448. His 8 TDs were easily better than 3.
he still had the same issues we talk about with Chig already, why don’t they use him more?

as far as your projection to the future, just like Smith, I believe Chig has the talent to produce more. Unfortunately, just like Smith, he’s in an offense that hasn’t really used a TE for real production since DW left.

homerism is when you don’t see any flaw or when you’ll argue any point that could be considered a negative towards the team. You argue this pretty consistently, I don’t think any posters would defend your case on that.
I really don’t mind, it’s just that you’re a homer.

Without being a homer, please argue the other points like Burks is better than Britt to this point.
Or even the original question, has there ever been a deeper offensive roster of weapons than this 2023 offense?

First. I agreed with you. We have had deeper offensive units. Maybe I wasn’t clear.

Chig Vs Smith…. Oh the TDs. Ok. I see your point. Please see mine. His rookie season was waaaaaay better. It took Smith 4 seasons to get to Chigs year one use.

Britt/Burks I see your point. To this point Britt was better, by a lot stat wise. I’m not ready to judge Burks based just on last season.

I’m a fan of my team. I’m not a pro sports analyst or scout as some of you act as though you are. But I don’t just argue for my team. Have you missed my attacks on T17? I’m just not going to attack a new player or compare brand new things to the old until they have a chance to succeed.

First. I agreed with you. We have had deeper offensive units. Maybe I wasn’t clear.

Chig Vs Smith…. Oh the TDs. Ok. I see your point. Please see mine. His rookie season was waaaaaay better. It took Smith 4 seasons to get to Chigs year one use.

Britt/Burks I see your point. To this point Britt was better, by a lot stat wise. I’m not ready to judge Burks based just on last season.

I’m a fan of my team. I’m not a pro sports analyst or scout as some of you act as though you are. But I don’t just argue for my team. Have you missed my attacks on T17? I’m just not going to attack a new player or compare brand new things to the old until they have a chance to succeed.
I’m a homer sometimes too. It comes with the territory and sometimes to a fault with the acceptance of some mediocre players. S**ting on THill doesn’t mean you’re not a homer in itself and there’s nothing wrong with opinions, yours are just the most optimistic at pretty much all times.

And we’re saying Chig and Smith are almost the same production.
Chig 2022 - 32-450-3
Smith 2020 - 41-448-8

keep in mind that 4 year waiting period includes a rookie year with DW still as the star TE, a partial 2nd year with DW starting then hurt, then dealing with Blaine Gabbert for part of the season. His 3rd year was improved- 35-439-3.

even with that, it’s not like Chig put up some monster production season that says he’s anything special because his rookie numbers were what they were. He’s just appx equal to what J Smith was. Hope to see more.

And I did miss that you were agreeing on the roster depth point.

I’m a homer sometimes too. It comes with the territory and sometimes to a fault with the acceptance of some mediocre players. S**ting on THill doesn’t mean you’re not a homer in itself and there’s nothing wrong with opinions, yours are just the most optimistic at pretty much all times.

Chig 2022 - 32-450-3
Smith 2020 - 41-448-8

keep in mind that 4 year waiting period includes a rookie year with DW still as the star TE, a partial 2nd year with DW starting then hurt, then dealing with Blaine Gabbert for part of the season. His 3rd year was improved- 35-439-3.

even with that, it’s not like Chig put up some monster production season that says he’s anything special because his rookie numbers were what they were. He’s just appx equal to what J Smith was. Hope to see more.

Fair. But remember what Chig had at OC and QB last season. Smith at least had real good THill and Art.

Chig 2022 - 32-450-3
Smith 2020 - 41-448-8

85 was one of the more productive players on a per snap basis... crazy

These playmakers need to start making plays consistently before we can call them playmakers.

Hopkins is off to a nice start compared to other veteran backs the Titans have signed. Optimistic about that if he can stay healthy.

I don't know what it is about Burks, but he just doesn't look like he'll ever be the superstar AJ Brown replacement that he's supposed to be. I think he can be a solid WR but so far expectations seem way higher than his actual play to me.

Chig needs to be more involved. Seems the Titans haven't really used TE's consistently since Delanie Walker.

Henry, well we know what he can do. Obviously Kelly is getting away from the run,run,run philosophy, but he shouldn't forget Henry is still the best back in the league.

Spears has been impressive so far. Above expectations in my opinion. We'll see how much of a weapon he can be throughout the season.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Agree with everything said here.

Spears literally looks like he's 19 years old. But that dude can absolutely ball. I've been so impressed with him. His vision and speed is off the charts. Glad he's on our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back