Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ewker - Vince has been underestimated by guys like you for a long, long, long f'n time.

There's a very good poster I've known for awhile on our horn boards. His agenda has always been to attack our coaching staff. So on the day after our coaching staff (albeit with Vince) wins the National Championship, he posts a diatribe questioning our coaching staff's handling of Vince and wondering why we hadn't won 2 national championships by now. I hope for your sake that you aren't that guy.

sorry to inform you caphorn, I am not that guy.

Out of the top 3 QB's Young was the last one I wanted. He will either have an injury ridden career from running the ball to much (that is what the RB's are for) or will be a bust.

I feel for the 2nd yr in a row the Titans have wasted their 1st round draft picks.

That is my opinion like it or not.

Ewker said:

Out of the top 3 QB's Young was the last one I wanted. He will either have an injury ridden career from running the ball to much (that is what the RB's are for) or will be a bust.

I feel for the 2nd yr in a row the Titans have wasted their 1st round draft picks.

So you're not going to be a fan of him....even if he IS successful...you're just going to be bitter since we 'wasted' a high draft pick? I didn't want Cutler at all, but had we drafted him, I would suck it up support him. You're casting Vince off before he's ever even played a down.....at least give the guy a shot.

Ewker said:

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I just can’t help but wonder what it’s based on. I seriously doubt you've followed his career as minutely as any of us Texas fans have.

But the good news for you, however, is that in six months or four years, whenever you discover that you’re mistaken, you’re going to be absolutely ecstatic because of what VY’s doing for your team.

I questioned Vince before the draft, but I'm behind him 100%. I'm a Titans fan.

And I hope that our new UTexas fans are patient, because they will have to wait for a while before they see Vince get his chance to start.

Ditto. There is no denying that VY is a special athlete who can do things on the football field no one else can. Although I also had questions and wasn't sure he was the best pick of the three I really feel he will at worst will be an effective enough QB, like Mike Vick who can help us win alot of football games. At best he will redefine the QB postion. His 6'5, 229 size should make him better than Vick at seeing the field and avoiding injury.
The only questions I have are if the coaching staff can tailor an offense to take advantage of what VY can do best. If they do I think all Titan fans will be well pleased.

We waited a year and a half for him to get meaningful time in college and even then he was splitting time. Most of us expected to have to wait longer for the same reasons. When he did start it was f'n ugly. Finally, our coaching staff got some balls and let Vince do his thing. From there, as we say, the rest is history.

He may need to fine tune his passing game, he's got to work on his drops from under center and obviously he'll have to learn a complex offensive scheme cold. That takes at least a year. So, in the meantime, we'll watch and root for Volek to do his thing. Just like we watched a good young QB in Chance Mock. But I'd be shocked if he's not your starter a year from now. Maybe not the first game, but a couple of games in, I have no doubt. The PLAYERS will demand it when they see the skills in practice.

Personally, I'd start him as soon as possible. Vince gets better by doing things and being in game situations. He's not a chalk board guy although he watches film constantly to give him an edge. Chow's going to have to start viewing him as a nuclear weapon, more than a development project IMO. So it will take time for your coaching staff to adjust to what they've got as well. They will have to design plays from the start that take advantage of the entire package. Otherwise, you simply aren't getting what you paid for.

Caphorn said:
… So, in the meantime, we'll watch and root for Volek to do his thing. Just like we watched a good young QB in Chance Mock....

Yep.

Caphorn said:
...Chow's going to have to start viewing him as a nuclear weapon, more than a development project IMO. So it will take time for your coaching staff to adjust to what they've got as well. They will have to design plays from the start that take advantage of the entire package. Otherwise, you simply aren't getting what you paid for.

‘Saw a quote on draft day where Chow said he loved Matt but that VY had such tremendous upside that he could reinvent the game and that he couldn’t wait to get home and start designing plays to take advantage of VY’s unique ability.

I have a lot of confidence in Norm Chow. All a person needs to do is to look at Philip Rivers and Carson Palmer both before and after Chow. The difference is amazing.

To hear some of the mediot’s denigrate Vince Young and his role in the Texas offense, you’d think Vince Young played flag football.

I don’t think it was quite as bad as all that.

Vince Young played under center on 50% of the snaps in 2003, 35% in 2004 and 15% in 2005.

Despite his three-quarters side-arm delivery Vince Young never had a problem with having his balls batted down. Interestingly though, that very thing was a problem for his predecessor, Chris Simms, who was equally as tall but who possessed a much more polished and prototypical throwing motion.

The bread and butter of the Texas offense was the zone read play which was a designed run (a hand off or keeper depending on the DE) and Vince Young got most of his rushing yardage off of it, so perhaps contrary to popular misconception, VY didn’t just gain all of his yards by taking off and running when his first receiving option was covered. On his game clinching touchdown throw at Ohio State, for instance, VY’s checked through his first two reads before hitting Limas Sweed as his third option.

But, that said, I will admit that VY is still probably the most dangerous when his receivers are covered and he’s flushed from the pocket. But, I hardly think that’s a bad thing.

It was simply amazing to see how much VY developed from year to year while he was at Texas. I attribute a lot of that to his sheer will to win that motivated his incredible work ethic.

I can’t wait to see what Vince Young can do as a fulltime player without having the distraction of being a fulltime student too. And I can’t wait to see what Norm Chow can do with him.

Add me to the list of Vince followers. I've always liked the Titans because they used to be the Oilers where my former all time favorite player, Earl Campbell, played. Well, Earl is now firmly entrenched at #2 on my list. Vince is #1, just as I suspect he will be for all of you within a few years, at which point none of you will be wondering why we Longhorn fans are so loyal to Vince. I loved Ricky Williams, but I did not become a Saints or Dolphins fan when he went to those teams. But Vince is just different. He's like the pied piper, people just want to follow him (including his teammates).

This morning, on my way to work, I remembered something Ewker had said and started thinking about it.

Ewker said:
… He will either have an injury ridden career from running the ball to much (that is what the RB's are for) …

I wonder if the New Orleans Saints are worried about Reggie Bush getting an injury.

I mean sure VY could run against the OUs, Ohio States and Michigans of this world, but I’m sure Ewker is probably thinking that pro defenders are a whole lot faster, smarter and harder hitting.

I wonder why people aren’t fretting over Reggie Bush’s fate. After all, he won’t exactly be facing Fresno State and UCLA anymore.

But you know, the funny thing is that the bitter drunken sportswriters, talking heads and mediots seem to think that little ‘ol 5-11, 200 lb Reggie Bush who only scored 25 rushing TDs in college against mostly Pac-10 defenses will be a sure thing, a can’t miss and the best thing since Gayle Sayers. Yet, VY who’s 6-5, 235 lbs and who scored 37 rushing TDs in college against mostly Big XII defenses has no chance of doing what he used to do in college because NFL defenses are so much bigger, faster and smarter, and he’s liable to get hurt if he tries.

Hmmm…..

And now for something completely different… I’d like to share another little something that occurred to me.

You all know how Vince has been criticized for playing in a “simple” “shotgun” “option” offense at Texas where he “didn’t have to read defenses”….

The funny thing is VY’s OC at Texas was Greg Davis, the man who mentored Gary Kubiak, the architect of the Denver Broncos offensive success and Super Bowl wins under John Elway.

Hmmm….

Not to mention the descriptions "simple", "remedial", and "no-read" are just false. They showed a clip of Vince taking a sack against OU one year as "proof" that he can't make a decision/make reads. They neglected to point out that he threw a TD on the next play. Against Ohio State, with the game on the line he put the ball where only Limas could catch it and won the game. ...an Ohio State defensive backfield that put how many into the pros last Saturday? Against Texas, with the game on the line Matt L. made a meaningless toss.

I like your point about injuries Hooky. Actually, I believe that the RB position has the least longevity of any position in the league (5 years projected). Now, here's where it gets tricky to understand all the logic. Many of the journalists that write these stories still view Vince as the equivalent of Mike Vick - a running QB. Those of us who have watched him know otherwise. He pulls out the run when his other reads fail. At the beginning of his career this was not the case. Then he sat down with none other than Steve McNair and started working on how to avoid big hits on rollouts etc (something OU's current QB desparately needs to work on). The net result is that on numerous highlights you'll see Vince running out of bounds, sliding and doing things that are just plain quarterbacky. In fact, he did this throughout the USC game, but still managed to win it. Good ole reliable Matt Leinart was the one that got concussed hanging around in the pocket too long.

Vince knows how to create space, he has a fantastic feel for the rush and you can't dive at him because he will juke you out of your jock.

He'll be more durable than Steve McNair in the end.

Want to practice psychiatry in eastern texas?

Business will be booming.

For the next decade texan fans will go nuts over what could have been. Every espn highlight show will produce a mini nervous breakdown as they watch vince dominating in two tone blue.

Passing on vince will be like passing on micheal jordan. It's a shame that mario williams won't be able to make david carr into a good QB. :flush:

Suckers!

the same voices you hear about VY and what he did at Texas are what some of us that were able to see him in high school were saying to fellow Longhorn fans by our newest recruit. a recruit that was willing to red-shirt, if need be.

During High School, VY on an inner city team, in a poor neighborhood, beat the #1 team in the state in the playoffs, one of the greatest high school games i have EVER been to, final score 61-58, i walked in when it was like 14-10 and thought i had missed out on a lot of scoring. VY used to play a D-back during close games, punter, and on kick-offs a safety. a total leader back then.

those of us that saw him in high school amongst 20,000+ knew when he went to Texas he would do the same, but many longhorn fans had not had the priviledge of seeing him live, it is almost addictive.

I went to Texas, supported them to no end, but just never went to many away games (TX-OU excluded) well, with VY i started going to those away games. i saw live the last 2 rose bowls, i was up in columbus, ohio for that game in the shoe.

i already am starting to search for places in Tenn. to visit, when i go there for games there. i also, know in Houston there will be new/old Titan fans getting together to watch games as well.

you see, we really never know when the Titan coaches will put VY in..... BUT the same was true for Texas Longhorn fans, that is why, when we played an opponent, at home, on a rainy night, many fans waited to see if the coaches would put VY in for his 1st game, despite the fact the game was well in hand and a jr. was the starter, vy was just some redshirt frosh. we waited, it was cold, wet and when he came in he promptly led the longhorns to 2 more TD's.

i believed before he arrived at Texas (just by being in Houston and seeing him in high school). now you are dealing with us that were there and the Longhorns that believed by what he did in college, next it will be the Titan doubters, when it is all over there will be VY love, even from that one poster that is not so happy with the choice.

This is going to be a very fun run, just don't forget to enjoy it.

dude i agree, i am so excited that we have him, ive been a longhorn fan for a while, and speaking of love i got his jersey (titans jersey =] ) yesterday for my birthday, i am so happy about it

The difference is that running backs expect to be hit at all time and don't get blindsided. Additionally, you can afford to not have a running back in the game for an extended period of time in most cases, but that's usually not the case with your qb. Defenses know this as well and are always looking for a knockout hit on a qb whereas they are just trying to get a hb on the ground, most times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back