Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
SUMMARY: As the Tennessee Titans begin the process of structuring the deal and the amount of the signing bonus for Vince Young, it is believed it will take around $50 million to get the third pick of the NFL Draft under contract. Young’s agent, Major Adams, says the $49.5 million contract Alex Smith landed as the No. 1 overall pick in San Francisco in 2005 will be looked to along with the contract for 2006 first pick Mario Williams who agreed to a six-year, $54 million deal. "I’m sure all those are the parameters we’ll be looking at," Adams said. "We’ll take into consideration what the first quarterback got last year, and what the first two picks get this year. It’ll be a little bit different since they’re not quarterbacks." Young has said he wants to be in training camp by the time it opens July 28.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

I know I sound like a broken record but..............50 million to a man who has never thrown an NFL football, WOW! Is he another Ryan Leaf or another Dan Marino? We are willing to wager 50 mil that he is, in fact, another NFL great. I still stand by my original thoughts that first year players, rookies, should be paid a minimum. Their big contract won't be signed until they have had a chance to prove themselves, in their 2nd year.

I agree with you, fitantitans, and I also agree with JMB54. I would also advocate something similar to the Larry Bird rule for veteran players, but, again, I don't see it happening.

I say just give VY the deal that Alex Smith got last yr. That is 10mil more than what Braylon Edwards got for the 3rd slot last yr, but throw in the fact that VY is a QB and inflation of the salary cap and I think it is fair.

fitantitans said:
I know I sound like a broken record but..............50 million to a man who has never thrown an NFL football, WOW! Is he another Ryan Leaf or another Dan Marino? We are willing to wager 50 mil that he is, in fact, another NFL great. I still stand by my original thoughts that first year players, rookies, should be paid a minimum. Their big contract won't be signed until they have had a chance to prove themselves, in their 2nd year.

NBA has a pretty good system when dealing with draft picks.

He doesn't get the 50 million guarenteed....once that comes around...well it's time for a new deal and hopefully we can resign him if he proves to be an awesome QB

Gunny said:
NBA has a pretty good system when dealing with draft picks.

The NHL is very similar.

First round picks can make no more than 850K in their rookie season.

After that?

It's up to the team and the agent.

I firmly believe in the free market and if he can make 50 mil, more power to him. However, I do "feel" that those kinds of numbers are RIDICULOUS!!!

moose4now said:
He wants McNair money!! :cuss: :))
monopoly200.jpg

Before we get all bent outta shape...He doesn't get all that money up front. And probably about half of it is guaranteed.

Still a chunk of change. But he'll have to earn it if he want's all of it.

There'll be options the team may or may not pick up...and so on

My guess is he's gonna be great. He will eventually make all the money. And we'll all be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back