Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Urgh seriously?

He wasn't willing to be a yes man. He had a plan and it wasn't what the ownership/GM wanted him to do. Differing views.

Firing people is awful. He's not wrong.

He's fired people before. He doesn't like it but he's done it.

Overall, you have to end up doing what your superiors ask you to do if you want to keep your job. Firing a couple buddies is a lot easier than a job search (unless the penn state gig is already in the bag)
And he chose to walk. I personally am glad, and surprised they were going to offer an extension to him. So I am very happy he made that choice. Im sure he knew his job was on thin ice, and that was probably the real reason he didn't make the changes.

Maybe he is more fit for the college level where things like undying loyalty are cherished. They aren't in the nfl. NFL is openly a business. NCAA just pretends not to be.

I'm sure tommy smith was bending him over with those stipulations. But I guess that's one way to find out how much they want to stay.

Yep. There's been quite a few position coaches get the axe the last couple of seasons and one coordinator.

None were as precious to him as his Bruce or Dowell. He'll fire the completely inept Palmer when he has to, but when it comes to Matthews, who is horrible at his job, no way around it, and Loggains, he draws a line. That's when it becomes less about winning and more about his inner circle. It's like the Shanaclan in Washington, just not as obvious.

But I hope nobody gets me wrong, I'm 100 percent happy so far with the way this has turned out.

I'm sure munchak can land a div1 college job, even if not penn state. He will get the experience he should have had before being bequeathed an NFL HC position.

None were as precious to him as his Bruce or Dowell. He'll fire the completely inept Palmer when he has to, but when it comes to Matthews, who is horrible at his job, no way around it, and Loggains, he draws a line.

I thought we read him say yesterday that it wasn't about firing Bruce. It was all about Loggains. I'm assuming his relationship with Loggains isn't anything like what he has with Bruce. I think it was more about not wanting to change direction and, I suspect, because he wants Locker to have the opportunity to pick up where he left off with the same system in place.

We were an average QB away from the playoffs this year, or a few BS calls/player decisions away from the playoffs. Anyone disagree? (and in fact, Ive already proven it, Im not arguing it again)

Munch, with another draft, and 20 million+ in cap space this off season, didnt want to blow up an entire coaching staff (if you guys would learn to read, you would realize its already been said that 12 coaches would be fired) just to make a change, for the sake of a change? After its was proven that if people could catch, not fumble, no BS late hit calls, and a multitude of other things, we would have been in the playoffs this year?

I dont fault Munchak one bit. In fact, I think he made the right decision.

He stuck to his convictions. That's not dumb, it's admirable.

It was my understanding at the time that he was refusing to let go of Gray, Matthews, and the LB guy.

Now that it seems this all landed on Loggains, it makes more sense. Loggains was kind of handcuffed by a bad OLine coach and Fitztragic, and I would have actually liked to of seen him working with more next year myself.

We were an average QB away from the playoffs this year, or a few BS calls/player decisions away from the playoffs. Anyone disagree? (and in fact, Ive already proven it, Im not arguing it again)

Munch, with another draft, and 20 million+ in cap space this off season, didnt want to blow up an entire coaching staff (if you guys would learn to read, you would realize its already been said that 12 coaches would be fired) just to make a change, for the sake of a change? After its was proven that if people could catch, not fumble, no BS late hit calls, and a multitude of other things, we would have been in the playoffs this year?

I dont fault Munchak one bit. In fact, I think he made the right decision.
I agree with what you state. My issue is he ended up getting guys who likely would've been safe fired. It is what it is though and I'm sure those guys (Jefferson/Williams) will find a job elsewhere. I just wish it was with us. I really believed that this staff could get it done if they were willing to make some minor changes.

I don't really disagree with that. However, I will say that we shouldn't constantly be in a position where a "BS call" or "player decision" can decide a game. We had ONE game this season in which we won by more than 7 points (week 4 thanks to the walking turnover machine Geno Smith and a freak showing by Locker.... total anomaly). We consistently played down to lesser competition and couldn't quite pull out victories against equal or better competition. And losing to the worst team in the league 3 years in a row is inexcusable regardless of who your QB is. IMO anyway.

I agree with what you state. My issue is he ended up getting guys who likely would've been safe fired. It is what it is though and I'm sure those guys (Jefferson/Williams) will find a job elsewhere. I just wish it was with us. I really believed that this staff could get it done if they were willing to make some minor changes.

I believe they could have too. I did have problems with some coordinators (Chet, but its not like he taught Ayers/brown how to untackle), but I believe that if Williams, or another good DC were attained, we would have been looking good next season... QB aside.

I do not have a problem with Loggains, so special teams (and I cant even blame him for Reynaud being shit) and LB coach. I still believe the majority (not all) of our problems were the players.

I believe they could have too. I did have problems with some coordinators (Chet, but its not like he taught Ayers/brown how to untackle), but I believe that if Williams, or another good DC were attained, we would have been looking good next season... QB aside.

I do not have a problem with Loggains, so special teams (and I cant even blame him for Reynaud being ****) and LB coach. I still believe the majority (not all) of our problems were the players.
I agree. Coaches can scheme, and yell, and teach all they want but at the end of the day what decidec games are plays that players make of fail to make on the field period.

I don't really disagree with that. However, I will say that we shouldn't constantly be in a position where a "BS call" or "player decision" can decide a game. We had ONE game this season in which we won by more than 7 points (week 4 thanks to the walking turnover machine Geno Smith and a freak showing by Locker.... total anomaly). We consistently played down to lesser competition and couldn't quite pull out victories against equal or better competition. And losing to the worst team in the league 3 years in a row is inexcusable regardless of who your QB is. IMO anyway.

The thing is, thats how most teams are.

THe most common margins of victory are 3 and 7 points

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-margin-of-victory-chart-2013-7

Followed by 10. If you look at the chart, its pretty damning. Less than 25 percent of the games won are won by a margin over 10 points per game (which includes a lot of good teams dominating bad teams every season)

The difference between the teams that win, and the teams that lose, are those player decisions/drops/fumbles.

BS calls I can agree with but holy freaking shit.... we were pounded with BS calls this season.

We are not on the level of some of the playoff teams, by any means. However I did think we were moving in the right direction, regardless of our record. This is one of the main reasons why I wasnt as harsh on Munch, but also understand that overall record is important.

This staff kept us in all but one game this season and when you go and look at them, player mistakes, and not playcalling/bad coaching is why we lost most, if not all of them.

I really hope we get a "top" head coach, because I dont want to replace an average HC with another average HC, especially after believing that the plan was working, even if it was slower than I liked.

The thing is, thats how most teams are.

THe most common margins of victory are 3 and 7 points

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-margin-of-victory-chart-2013-7

Followed by 10. If you look at the chart, its pretty damning. Less than 25 percent of the games won are won by a margin over 10 points per game (which includes a lot of good teams dominating bad teams every season)

The difference between the teams that win, and the teams that lose, are those player decisions/drops/fumbles.

BS calls I can agree with but holy freaking ****.... we were pounded with BS calls this season.

We are not on the level of some of the playoff teams, by any means. However I did think we were moving in the right direction, regardless of our record. This is one of the main reasons why I wasnt as harsh on Munch, but also understand that overall record is important.

This staff kept us in all but one game this season and when you go and look at them, player mistakes, and not playcalling/bad coaching is why we lost most, if not all of them.

I really hope we get a "top" head coach, because I dont want to replace an average HC with another average HC, especially after believing that the plan was working, even if it was slower than I liked.

With the talent level we had on this team the margin of error in every game was much smaller than other teams. Yes other teams face adversity and make mistakes but their margin of error is much greater due to how talented they are. For the type of team we were we just had to many player errors and bad calls for our talent level to overcome. I know people want to find a reason for why it's on the coaches but it's really that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back