Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it so hard for you to understand it's both?

Munchak had talent here, and couldn't win. He's a bad head coach, he displayed that by going 3-20 vs winning teams, losing to 0-7, 0-8, and 0-13 teams, his divisional record, and losing winnable games that kept us out of the playoffs (up 17-3 at home vs Cincinnati etc..)
Of course it takes both but many of the things you blame Munch for was directly related to players not being good enough to execute. I disagree if you think the Titans had the talent this season for ANY coach to have made this team a contender once Locker went down. If they don't upgrade a lot of key areas and get better QB play, look for the mediocrity to continue.

You make it sound like Munch was holding back this team from being a Super Bowl winner. Replacing Munch does little without better talent to execute the game plans.

Jim Wyatt@jwyattsports 7m
Munchak said his departure had more to do than just his refusal to part ways with buddies on staff. Said he was willing to make changes

But Munchak said he wasn't going to make changes his staff he didn't believe in #Titans

Munchak: “It’s not like "Munch isn’t here any more because he wouldn’t fire two guys.' In my eyes, there was more to it than that.”

Munchak: “I know a lot of people might not have been happy if I was back. But I had a plan and I believed it was going to work.”

Munchak: “I stand up 4 guys who are good coaches. It bothers me when people say I'm not here because I didn’t want to fire my friends.”

More Mike Munchak: “I wanted to be here. I have been here for 30 years. These jobs are hard to come by." #Titans

Munchak cont: "I know the chance of me being a head coach again in the NFL aren’t that great. Most guys
get one shot at it.” #Titans

Munchak: "But I wanted to do it with the right people, and do it the right way. I wasn't going to fire guys if I didn't believe in it.”

More Munchak: “The way they wanted to adjust the staff vs. me wasn’t going to work. So we disagreed on it.” #Titans

Munchak: “It wasn’t about Chet or Bruce. People say “those are Munch’s guys.” A lot of guys were going to be affected.” #Titans

Mike Munchak: "Obviously they made it easy. They fired all of us so they could start over.” #Titans

Munchak: “It’s not like I came in and they said, “You’re fired. End of discussion.” We felt we were going to work it out." #Titans

Munchak: “It is hard. I was hoping to retire a #Titan. I was hoping to say, “Hey, I made it 40 years with the same organization.”

Munchak said he thinks the #Titans will be a playoff team next year. "But unfortunately me and my staff won't be coaching them."

Munchak: "I didn’t do anything to look like I was a great, loyal guy who went above & beyond the call of duty by not firing coaches"

Munchak: "For me to maintain a job and a lot of guys lose jobs on a plan I didn’t think was right, I couldn’t do that.”

Munchak: ‘I can’t fire someone when I don’t believe they should be fired. Firing someone is awful.' #Titans

Munchak said it was emotional cleaning out his office. "I feel bad for my family & my wife, who spent so much effort into my office."

lol. So Munchak gets 3 seasons for people to accept he's a bad coach, and you pegged Chip Kelly in his first 6 games?

It was a new coach with a new system and they started slow. Shocker. Vick's stats were up btw, so once again you're argument has no base. That system had the Eagles breaking franchise records. Not sure why you're trying to discredit Kelly.

The Eagles entire offense played a lot better this year than last year, Lesean McCoy especially.

I never said that I thought Kelly was a bad head coach but that's exactly what people would have thought had the rest of the season gone the way the first few games did. Kelly is a fine coach but no one would have seen that if Foles didn't emerge. That's the point of this whole argument. Guys who are probably good or at least average coaches end up looking like crap and then fired because they never hit on a QB that can play at a high level. It happened to Munchak, it almost happened to Chip. That's all I'm getting at.

Of course it takes both but many of the things you blame Munch for was directly related to players not being good enough to execute. I disagree if you think the Titans had the talent this season for ANY coach to have made this team a contender once Locker went down. If they don't upgrade a lot of key areas and get better QB play, look for the mediocrity to continue.

In 2011 we were 1 game from making the playoffs and we lost to the Jaguars who finished 5-11, we had the Bengals down 17-3 at halftime in Nashville and dropped that game 17-24, and we lost to the 0-13 Indianapolis Colts.

Tell me how we lacked talent some more? Those are winnable games and good coaches have their teams ready to play. You can't honestly sit here and tell me we didn't have as much or more talent than the 5-11 Jaguars, the 0-13 Colts or the 9-7 Bengals.

That's only one fireable offense though. I could go on and on about his continuous botched coaching hires, almost setting defensive scoring records in 2012, getting blown out 51-20 (at home), 55-7, 38-10, 38-14, 30-7 all in the same season, divisional record, and record vs winning teams. I said this guy should have been fired years ago, and I was right.

I never said that I thought Kelly was a bad head coach but that's exactly what people would have thought had the rest of the season gone the way the first few games did. Kelly is a fine coach but no one would have seen that if Foles didn't emerge. That's the point of this whole argument. Guys who are probably good or at least average coaches end up looking like crap and then fired because they never hit on a QB that can play at a high level. It happened to Munchak, it almost happened to Chip. That's all I'm getting at.

There's a lot of hypotheticals to your argument I'm not sure what would have happened if things were different.

Munchak said his departure had more to do than just his refusal to part ways with buddies on staff. Said he was willing to make changes

But Munchak said he wasn't going to make changes his staff he didn't believe in #Titans

Munchak: “It’s not like "Munch isn’t here any more because he wouldn’t fire two guys.' In my eyes, there was more to it than that.”

Munchak: “I know a lot of people might not have been happy if I was back. But I had a plan and I believed it was going to work.”

Munchak: “I stand up 4 guys who are good coaches. It bothers me when people say I'm not here because I didn’t want to fire my friends.”

More Mike Munchak: “I wanted to be here. I have been here for 30 years. These jobs are hard to come by." #Titans

Munchak cont: "I know the chance of me being a head coach again in the NFL aren’t that great. Most guys

Munchak: "But I wanted to do it with the right people, and do it the right way. I wasn't going to fire guys if I didn't believe in it.”

More Munchak: “The way they wanted to adjust the staff vs. me wasn’t going to work. So we disagreed on it.” #Titans

Munchak: “It wasn’t about Chet or Bruce. People say “those are Munch’s guys.” A lot of guys were going to be affected.” #Titans

Mike Munchak: "Obviously they made it easy. They fired all of us so they could start over.” #Titans

Munchak: “It’s not like I came in and they said, “You’re fired. End of discussion.” We felt we were going to work it out." #Titans

Munchak: “It is hard. I was hoping to retire a #Titan. I was hoping to say, “Hey, I made it 40 years with the same organization.”

Sad statements. I'm happy for Munchak and more happy for the TENNESSEE Titans. Time to establish the TITAN identity and close the Houston Oilers chapter.

Tell me how we lacked talent some more? Those are winnable games and good coaches have their teams ready to play. You can't honestly sit here and tell me we didn't have as much or more talent than the 5-11 Jaguars, the 0-13 Colts or the 9-7 Bengals.
Go back and look at some of the stat lines from those games and tell me the Titans players executed well. They obviously did not. Am I making Munch blameless? Of course not. But I saw repeated errors by players who were, and are, not good enough week in and week out to make the Titans contenders regardless of who is coaching them.

This roster is made up of mostly players who feast on inferior teams and get steamrolled by the better teams. CJ is a prime example. He "makes plays" against the league's worst and doesn't show up against better run defenses. And he's supposedly among the most talented on the roster.

Munchak said he thinks the #Titans will be a playoff team next year. "But unfortunately me and my staff won't be coaching them."

Munchak: "I didn’t do anything to look like I was a great, loyal guy who went above & beyond the call of duty by not firing coaches"

Munchak: "For me to maintain a job and a lot of guys lose jobs on a plan I didn’t think was right, I couldn’t do that.”

Munchak: ‘I can’t fire someone when I don’t believe they should be fired. Firing someone is awful.' #Titans

Munchak said it was emotional cleaning out his office. "I feel bad for my family & my wife, who spent so much effort into my office."

Milk it Munch, MILK IT!!!!

Class guy always has been. Loved watching him back in the Oiler days as well. He was never going to be a great NFL head coach. He just picks bad coordinators and stays with them instead of admitting his mistakes and moving on. I mean he was reluctant to fire his two buddies which I kind of understand but sticking up for Lowgains and Gray; I just don't get that.

So he didn't take and extension to stay with the Titans because he had to let go Bruce, Chet, Lowgains, Gray... Does he even understand that they are gone regardless of whether he is coaching or not? No chance in hell our new coach retains any of the turds on this coaching staff.

I do think he can be a good college head coach, he'll be a great recruiter.

Good Lord Munchies is dumb.

"Fire these people who are sucking as coordinators and keep your job."
"... no?"
"OK, fine, you're all fired. Happy New Year!"

Sounds like he was being overly stubborn.

You can afford yourself some stubbornness with superiors when you have a WINNING TRADITION. Munchak had no place to be picky. If he wanted to keep the job, he should have done what it took to keep it. Good break for both sides.

I could see Fisher getting away with being bullheaded with the owner.. He earned his keep until the late years. Munchak is a company made man, who would have never even sniffed a coordinator position if not for bud Adams. Beggars can't be choosers.

And if munchak does not have the guts to fire people.. If he hates it so much, that is enough to tell any team or school that this is a guy you do not want helping your franchise. If he hires a bad coordinator, he'll go down with him, instead of trying to remedy the problem. In fisher's good years here, even he went through quite a few coordinators, and most other long tenured coaches.

If you hate firing people, then don't seek to become a boss.

Some people are meant to be bosses, some aren't. I would not enjoy being a boss. I don't want to fire people, I'd be happier just doing my job and going home. The lording over thing is just not me.

It seems like that's where munchak excels, in the supporting roles. It seems that this HC job has given him false ambitions, and he will probably finally regain his footing once he steps back into those roles.

At least that is what I can gather from what I have heard.

Urgh seriously?

He wasn't willing to be a yes man. He had a plan and it wasn't what the ownership/GM wanted him to do. Differing views.

Firing people is awful. He's not wrong.

He's fired people before. He doesn't like it but he's done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back