Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a joke URL to get people to click it. I really am pretty neutral on the situation because I feel it's more about the players than the coach.

Regardless, it does make the next few weeks more entertaining.

I agree its not all about the coach. However, part of changing a coach is changing his ideas on player selection. A new coach will bring fresh ideas on system and drafting, and therefore new players.

Munch got 3 years with no sign of progress, the next coach should be given time to inbed, however there needs to be signs of progress.

I agree its not all about the coach. However, part of changing a coach is changing his ideas on player selection. A new coach will bring fresh ideas on system and drafting, and therefore new players.

Munch got 3 years with no sign of progress, the next coach should be given time to inbed, however there needs to be signs of progress.
I just hope we get a new coach with a plan. ANY PLAN. Munchak's teams always felt like a rudderless ship with no identity. One of the most irritating things about it.

Not an air attack team, not a powerful running team. Not a ballsy blitzing defense... No identity.

I don't see much point in rehashing Munch but to say this team was not better than last is to ignore reality. Also, the GM heads the draft and while it's too soon to judge, the last two appear to be pretty solid so far.

I get that the progress wasn't as fast as needed but, I believe, more talent has to be added for ANY coach to see success.

I just hope we get a new coach with a plan. ANY PLAN. Munchak's teams always felt like a rudderless ship with no identity. One of the most irritating things about it.

Not an air attack team, not a powerful running team. Not a ballsy blitzing defense... No identity.
His plan was what we saw in the Jags win. But for plans to become reality for a full season, the talent has to be there to make it happen. It wasn't.

I don't see much point in rehashing Munch but to say this team was not better than last is to ignore reality. Also, the GM heads the draft and while it's too soon to judge, the last two appear to be pretty solid so far.

I get that the progress wasn't as fast as needed but, I believe, more talent has to be added for ANY coach to see success.

Chip Kelly took the 4 win Eagles to 10 wins and a division title in one season with largely the same roster. Stop making excuses.

His plan was what we saw in the Jags win. But for plans to become reality for a full season, the talent has to be there to make it happen. It wasn't.

I believe it is just as fair to say the talent is there but it wasn't developed. And that was Munchak's and his assistants responsibility. The O-line is the biggest example of that.

It's tough to see which is the problem, until they are separated. It's true that the players are a majority of what makes a coach successful, but then you see teams like the chiefs who did a complete 180 in one season. You see harbaugh in SF, etc.

I see your point, but I also see how and why the coach's head rolls when things aren't going the way they should.

Sure, if he were handed manning, he would look like a coaching genius. He made Jim Caldwell, a total clinically defined moron, look like a competent coach for a time. But we all know the hand munch was dealt, it wasn't a great one, but he in no way made the best out of these players. And that's enough for me, personally.

I welcome a change. If the titans were 2-14 this year, I wouldn't be any more down on the franchise than I am now.

That's the way of the world. Coaches go the way the team goes, especially the QB. Qbs make coaches and break em.

Shanahan and Dungy are my favorite examples.

I personally believe we'd be about the same with locker. He was regressing before his injury. And plus the injury prone-ness is just about as much of a deal breaker as subpar play.
Locker only put together a couple good games this year.

1st game, 0td/0int

Then a good 3 game stretch.

Then a decent stat game when the titans were getting beat solidly,

Then 2 very subpar games.

Fitzpatrick is not a fit starting QB, but I don't believe locker is either. Too injured and inconsistent.

I'd like to see him stay as a backup next season. But if you are chained to him like munchak, you gotta know that your fate is sealed.

Locker was pretty horrible before getting injured in the game against the pitiful jags.

Really good assessment of Jakes "statement year" if you ask me. He was showing some promise, but nothing that made me think he was anything morre than a serviceable game manager. History show that you rarely ever become successful as a winning organization in the long run with a QB like that (yeah there were a few times it worked - Trent Dilfer comes to mind). I honestly am not all that convinced that we would have been much better with Locker in at QB the entire year, at most we may have won a game or two more and if we had a first round exit from the playoffs would have been almost a lock. For all the people clamoring that Munchak suffered the misfortune of losing Locker, we'll never know if that is a legit excuse, but I am of the opinion that it eally wouldn't have made a huge difference.

Since we have Locker under contract for another year he certainly should be in the mix for starting when a new regime takes over, but I sure hope the Titans draft a possible QB of the future in the draft and look hard at any possible free agent options.

As much as I couldn't stand you as a HC munch, thank you for what you did for the Titans/ Oilers for the past 30 years. You are a class act, a great oline coach and HOF, definitely something to hang your hat on and I wish you the best @ the next stop wherever that may be.

Yep. Can't blame Munch for taking the job. But I can absolutely blame Bud for offering it to him.

It was a terribly misguided hire from the get-go. What made Bud say "I know what'll get us a Lombardi trophy! I'll hire a position coach who worked for the guy I just s***canned and who has zero coordinator or head coaching experience!" is beyond me.

Didn't the Texans interview him for a HC position when they eventually hired Kubiak?

GOOD BYE Good ole boy, don't let the door hit you. At least you admitted to the world you had a good ole boy system in place that you didn't want to let go of, even if it meant your job. I'm glad you shared that with the world. Now you just got all of them fired too. Thank you so much!! Its about time!!!

You a such a tool.

Legend of the franchise and always will be. Great service from a humble and great man.

I wish him the best (but please don't go to the Texans)

Chip Kelly took the 4 win Eagles to 10 wins and a division title in one season with largely the same roster. Stop making excuses.

It's not just an excuse. Damn when will people stop ignoring the fact that both the Eagles and the Chiefs had drastically improced QB play because two young QBs in Foles and Smith balled out of their skulls. Give us QB play like either of those guys and we're definitely in the playoffs maybe even the AFC championship. A QB can make or break you. They had Foles and Smith, we had Locker and Fitzpatrick it's no contest and you all know it.

The one turnaround that I cannot say a thing about was Harbaugh in San Fran. That was a masterful performance in which he turned and underwhelming first round QB who was almost universally regarded as a bust and turned him into what he has become. Harbaugh changed the culture of that locker room and brought the best out of the talent on that team in one season. Can't take anything away from him even though he's a raging douche. I liked Munch but now that he's gone I pray we find a guy who can produce similar results.

It's not just an excuse. Damn when will people stop ignoring the fact that both the Eagles and the Chiefs had drastically improced QB play because two young QBs in Foles and Smith balled out of their skulls. Give us QB play like either of those guys and we're definitely in the playoffs maybe even the AFC championship. A QB can make or break you. They had Foles and Smith, we had Locker and Fitzpatrick it's no contest and you all know it.

The one turnaround that I cannot say a thing about was Harbaugh in San Fran. That was a masterful performance in which he turned and underwhelming first round QB who was almost universally regarded as a bust and turned him into what he has become. Harbaugh changed the culture of that locker room and brought the best out of the talent on that team in one season. Can't take anything away from him even though he's a raging douche. I liked Munch but now that he's gone I pray we find a guy who can produce similar results.

Both Harbaugh's are excellent examples of how significant a coach can be with a rapid culture change. The talent does have to be there but so does the energy from the coach. I'm certain if we select a high energy coach who is intelligent and experienced in a winning culture we will be playoffs in 2 years. We need a QB. That us the only concern I have with the upcoming transition.

Foles was on the roster and played meaningful downs last season for the Eagles. The system is the biggest part of why the Eagles were successful this year.

Foles was on the roster and played meaningful downs last season for the Eagles. The system is the biggest part of why the Eagles were successful this year.
Let's not pretend that "playing meaningful downs" and being the unquestioned starter for the majority of the season are the same thing please. That same Chip Kelly system was getting the Eagles' ass kicked in the beginning of the season or did everyone forget that? Foles' emergence as a borderline elite QB (so far) was the key difference. Foles was also a rookie last year, the comparison is weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back