Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sta-Chisle said:
For me it's the injury risk.
carson palmer tore his acl standing in the pocket. troy aikman had to retire because he got a serious amount of concusions, as did steve young.

vince young has never missed a game due to injury in his career.

bigtitan53279 said:
what i dont unerstand is why is everyone all over cutler's knob?

cutler went 273 out of 462 for a completion percentage of 59.1% 3073 yards 21 tds and 9 ints.

young went 212 out of 325 for a competion percentage of 65.2 3036 yards 26 tds and 10 ints.

because if you've ever watched a vandy game you would realize how bad they suck year in and out. vince's 4th string wideout with athletes foot and a pulled hammy would be better than cutlers 1st string.

titans 2008.."2. Can he make the throws ? (the jury is still out, but he has impressive zip. You don't see Texas throwing many deep balls though)"

how many quarterbacks trying to get into the league would be drafted if this was one of the first things said when describing them.
he has no zip... even the 8-10 yard curls look like he underhand tosses them.

after all that, i'm not against the guy. he has more talent at the posistion than anyone i've ever seen. he could be great... but do you want to spend the 3rd pick in the draft on someone who has to use shotgun because he cant read defense and he has a 'slight' flaw of not being able to throw the ball well? too big of a risk if you ask me.

bet we draft him if he's there though

paraconspiracy said:
because if you've ever watched a vandy game you would realize how bad they suck year in and out. vince's 4th string wideout with athletes foot and a pulled hammy would be better than cutlers 1st string.

titans 2008.."2. Can he make the throws ? (the jury is still out, but he has impressive zip. You don't see Texas throwing many deep balls though)"

how many quarterbacks trying to get into the league would be drafted if this was one of the first things said when describing them.
he has no zip... even the 8-10 yard curls look like he underhand tosses them.

after all that, i'm not against the guy. he has more talent at the posistion than anyone i've ever seen. he could be great... but do you want to spend the 3rd pick in the draft on someone who has to use shotgun because he cant read defense and he has a 'slight' flaw of not being able to throw the ball well? too big of a risk if you ask me.

bet we draft him if he's there though

I agree. I wouldn't be mad if we took him, it just makes me nervous that's all.

paraconspiracy said:
that's what the ravens said about kyle boller.

How does using the shotgun (which Texas was using before Young anyways iirc) equate to not being able to read defenses ?

You say he doesn't display zip... I say that he threw the ball with touch. He wasn't trying to impress scouts. He was trying to win a football game. That's the kind of player I want.

The ball was fast enough that USC couldn't get near it. And believe me, as bad as you think that USC defense was, it will turn out 7 or 8 NFL players with 1-3 first rounders.

Titans2008 said:
How does using the shotgun (which Texas was using before Young anyways iirc) equate to not being able to read defenses ?

just because you can see the field easier... he couldnt read it in the first place, his coach almost sat him mid season because he was struggling reading defense. granted, the kid runs like a gazelle... but that doesnt always fly in the NFL. i'd rather have a pass first kind of guy that runs when he HAS to than the other way around. saves injuries to the qb. ask steve if he wishes he had stayed in the pocket more a few years back

I just looked at the Vince Young Highlight tape from TitanJeff and I think I may have been wrong. Young has more arm and pocket skills than I thought. I'm cool if we draft him. I think i'd prefer him after the highlight tape. You might want to check it out.

mcnair also set numreous passing and all-purpose records.

he might be great in the pro's... just too risky the 3rd draft pick when floyd and jeff's jobs may be on the line.

Titans2008 said:
I believe they said that Tom Brady didn't throw with enough "zip" also, even though he put up great numbers at Michigan.

you say potato...

paraconspiracy said:
mcnair also set numreous passing and all-purpose records.

he might be great in the pro's... just too risky the 3rd draft pick when floyd and jeff's jobs may be on the line.

Hmmm...job on the line...1995...3rd overall pick....

Please go back and watch the Rose Bowl again when it's on ESPN Classic. Also, go back and watch last year's Rose Bowl. Vince is the real deal. Actually, I'd say he's ahead of McNair when he was in college because Vince has played against D-I competition for years.

JDee

Big Titan and G, I agree with ya'll 100%. Young is a winner and leader. Big, strong, really fast and throws a real catchable ball. Seems to have the McNair like, uncanny ability to feel the rush and scramble just at the last second and make people miss him at will. Never seems to take a direct shot and a very accurate passer from the games I've seen. A tremendous competitor and real differencemaker "franchise" QB in the NFL IMO. Obviously I think AJ Hawk is gonna be a great NFL player and draftpick, but the 4th best player in this year's draft. I wouldn't be surprised if New Orleans takes Young, so that would leave us Leinart or Bush. What a perfect situation! We get a #1 overall quality draftpick either way and only have to pay him the #3 slot salary or we trade down a pick or 2 or more and get several extra high picks as well.

Accuracy, timing and being able to read a defense are more important than having a rifle of an arm. I think Young can read defenses. Not all those plays were designed to go to the TE as the 1st read.

People say that playing out of the shotgun you lose the ability to hold the LBs with playaction, but with Young at QB the LBs better pay attention to him or he will kill them with his legs.

jdee said:
Please go back and watch the Rose Bowl again when it's on ESPN Classic. Also, go back and watch last year's Rose Bowl. Vince is the real deal. Actually, I'd say he's ahead of McNair when he was in college because Vince has played against D-I competition for years.

JDee
Agree again. Actually I'll probably be disappointed if we get anyone other than Vince now.

Look, Vince is a stellar player. I don't see much of a problem with his throwing, except the mechanics and the motion of it (it looks more to the side than it should be, but I'm no genius when it comes to QB mechanics). His accuracy and timing seems to be good. The only place Vince will work, IMO, is with us. Why? Because we've got the McNair factor and the QB Guru Chow here. A year or two behind McNair would do wonders for Vince and Chow could have him reading defenses like no other while tweaking his mechanics. The one thing would be, is Norm going to game plan around Vince or make Vince work with his plan? Vince has so much upside that if he landed here, I wouldn't be worried about him turning out positive. I think because of McNair's experience in the NFL he'll help Vince to become more a Passer than a Scrambler, unlike Vick. The things McNair could teach Young are so vital to him making it in this league and he won't get that anywhere else. God forbid he goes to New Orleans where they're likely to throw him into the fire and waste his gifts.

Personally, I think Chow could mold Vince into the same mold of Steve Young. Make him stick in the pocket more, but when things break down, do what you do. That's such a key part in a QB and it's a big reason why the other Young had success. That ability to make something out of nothing is crucial and it worked for Elway and Steve. They got the rings to show for it too.

Deutsch, i hope you are right man. i know you are right about one thing. if there is anywhere that this kid will excell... it is here. the pick does seem to fit us very nicely... just nerve racking because out of the "big 3" he is the one with the most upside... but also the one with the most bust potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back