Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, Young does have as much bust potential as he does upside. So do Bush and Leinhart if you ask me. They, too, have the potential to bust as well as any player in the top 10 or first round, second, third, etc.

I think about any player taken that high could be a bust if they're thrown in the wrong situation. I mean seriously, how good would Rothlessburger have been if he had gone to the Cardinals or Texans or, on the other hand, how good could David Carr have been had he gone to a loaded Steeler team like Big Ben did... One thing is for sure, if we get Vince he probably won't see much pt outside of pre-season. I don't even think he'll be the back-up. He'll have a lot better chance of being successful by sitting out a year or so than a guy that's just throw in the fire.

rcarie said:
I think about any player taken that high could be a bust if they're thrown in the wrong situation. I mean seriously, how good would Rothlessburger have been if he had gone to the Cardinals or Texans or, on the other hand, how good could David Carr have been had he gone to a loaded Steeler team like Big Ben did... One thing is for sure, if we get Vince he probably won't see much pt outside of pre-season. I don't even think he'll be the back-up. He'll have a lot better chance of being successful by sitting out a year or so than a guy that's just throw in the fire.

Nicely put

He would only sit out this year, and I dont think he would sit it all out. I dont see us as a playoff team next year, so I think he would get his PT toward the second half of the season. Get him ready for a playoff run in 2007.

The issue with McNair is he will probally not make it through a season without missing some time. If the rookie is the #2 he might have to play.

Soxcat said:
The issue with McNair is he will probally not make it through a season without missing some time. If the rookie is the #2 he might have to play.
which is probably better for him. let him learn on the sidelines, go in for a game or two, then sit on the sidelines again to see what he did wrong and see what he did right.

if he's a guy you can't pass up, why would the saints pass him up. You have to question why Leinart is still #1 on most draft boards.

Right now, I'd prefer Omar Jacobs, who is a similar player but a more accomplished passer, who at the later stages in the draft has ALL the upside but none of the bust potential. That is perfect IMO.

thnom said:
if he's a guy you can't pass up, why would the saints pass him up. You have to question why Leinart is still #1 on most draft boards.

Right now, I'd prefer Omar Jacobs, who is a similar player but a more accomplished passer, who at the later stages in the draft has ALL the upside but none of the bust potential. That is perfect IMO.

Granted he put up better numbers but he has suspect passing mechanics too doesn't he?

Troupe, he's a similar threat to vince, and has said he will prove people with his speed at the combine; which I take as a CLEAR indication that he would run if necessary in the NFL. He does have suspect mechanics, but would you prefer to work on the mechanics of a #3 overall or a 2nd/3rd or maybe even a 4th rounder? Unless VY is a franchise QB, @3 he won't be considered value. Omar outside of the 1st is value, because he has the upside to take over and be a starter. If we take VY, VY INSTANTLY has pressure to produce, whether he's starting or not. Omar can have the luxery of getting his NFL game up to speed without that ****, which is just one of the reasons why I think he'll succeed. I'm going to the idea of VY, I just would prefer Omar as he gives us a similar player, cheaper, and gives us the chance to take a power guy on defence in the middle of the field, or trade down and get even more.

thnom said:
Troupe, he's a similar threat to vince, and has said he will prove people with his speed at the combine; which I take as a CLEAR indication that he would run if necessary in the NFL. He does have suspect mechanics, but would you prefer to work on the mechanics of a #3 overall or a 2nd/3rd or maybe even a 4th rounder? Unless VY is a franchise QB, @3 he won't be considered value. Omar outside of the 1st is value, because he has the upside to take over and be a starter. If we take VY, VY INSTANTLY has pressure to produce, whether he's starting or not. Omar can have the luxery of getting his NFL game up to speed without that ****, which is just one of the reasons why I think he'll succeed. I'm going to the idea of VY, I just would prefer Omar as he gives us a similar player, cheaper, and gives us the chance to take a power guy on defence in the middle of the field, or trade down and get even more.

The only way Omar makes it out of the second round is if he rips an ACL or kills a prostitute before the draft.

thnom said:

How can there be pressure to produce when you're not starting?

You mean from screaming fans demanding to see the latest top pick on the field starting over #9? I think here most people wouldn't want to see Young play until he's ready. This ain't the ATL, and we're not in a situation (currently) where we need a rookie QB to play from day one.

And Titans2008 is right, Jacobs will not be there in round two. Waiting for that to happen means missing the boat on the top FOUR QBs in the draft. Despite whatever Reese wants to have happen in the draft, say if was in complete agreement with you, he has to understand where his best opportunity to get that type of player is. It's not in round two, it's at pick #3, no matter which QB any of us would like to see in Titan blue.

With our situation at QB with an aging McNair, this is the time ( and now the place) to take a franchise QB. I'm not plannin on us drafting this low again for several years, so now is the time. Weather it's Leinert or Young, we've got to take whoever the Saints do not take.

JDee

Whilst I understand that you're saying VY can sit back, I don't want to be sat in a years time and McNair is still the starter. VY is known for progression the past year or two; and he's done that with playing time and practice (mcnair). But we need to give him bit-part plays next year, and play him the next. 2 years is too long to develop a QB nowadays, the only one SINCE mcnair to do this (afaik) is Chad Pennington. He was never really dominant, and now his career could be over. So they've had like 3 years out of him. I'm ok for VY, but we need to play him sooner, rather than later.

The Bengals had Kitna and the luxury of letting Palmer sit for a year.
The main reason I can see for NO going Leinhart over Young is Leinhart is more NFL ready. He stayed in college his senior year and has more of an NFL game. The Saints may need a QB who can produce quickly.
The Titans will look to shop Volek and sign McNair. Young would not be the starter as long as McNair is healthy but if McNair has another injury Young woulds have to come in. History says McNair will be hurt during the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back