Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why HC shouldn't be GMs. Seems like they can't think far enough ahead.

Aw man can't wait to see how much deshauns gonna get. Hope Dak Prescott gets paid and Watson will have to get paid more than that cowboy.

Just moved to Tennessee from Houston. I am trying hard to switch allegiances to the Titans and was definitely rooting for them in the playoffs. I can’t stand Bill O’Brien but believe guys on this forum are way off about the demise of the franchise. They now have in place a young, possibly dominant, OL in place. Watson is a true franchise QB and he will definitely be extended. Watch out for their offense this year.

It will be much more prolific as long as 2/4 receivers stay healthy. Fuller has been the key to the offense, but has not been able to stay on the field, thus, why they signed Cobb and Cooks. All 4 of their receivers are faster than Hopkins who looked to be losing a step or two last year. The likelihood that at least two of Fuller, Cobb, Stills, and Cooks will stay healthy for all games is pretty solid in my opinion. All that speed will open up the field for TE’s Fells and Atkins and very good pass catching RB’s.

Defense is the real question mark. Getting rid of Romeo was key. His inability to take risks and blitz even occasionally hamstrung the defense’s pass rush and made their secondary look much worse that it really was. The key again will be if Watt can stay healthy. If he does he will still demand double teams and Jacob Martin will wreak havoc. Mercilus also is very effective when Watt is on the field. If the defense can just be mediocre against the pass, the Texans will win 10-12 games this year. To me it is a two team race for the division. If Tannehill is for real then there will be a real dogfight between the two. If not the Texans will win the division hands down.

What people don’t realize is this upcoming season is an all in year for the Texans. They are only on the hook for Cooks, both Johnsons, Fuller, Stills, McKinney for one year. They can blow it up after the year and suck in 2021 when they have no draft capital and gear up for high picks in 2022 when they have their full draft and then some, especially with comp picks from free agents like Fuller, McKinney, and others they won’t resign.

Just moved to Tennessee from Houston. I am trying hard to switch allegiances to the Titans and was definitely rooting for them in the playoffs. I can’t stand Bill O’Brien but believe guys on this forum are way off about the demise of the franchise. They now have in place a young, possibly dominant, OL in place. Watson is a true franchise QB and he will definitely be extended. Watch out for their offense this year.

It will be much more prolific as long as 2/4 receivers stay healthy. Fuller has been the key to the offense, but has not been able to stay on the field, thus, why they signed Cobb and Cooks. All 4 of their receivers are faster than Hopkins who looked to be losing a step or two last year. The likelihood that at least two of Fuller, Cobb, Stills, and Cooks will stay healthy for all games is pretty solid in my opinion. All that speed will open up the field for TE’s Fells and Atkins and very good pass catching RB’s.

Defense is the real question mark. Getting rid of Romeo was key. His inability to take risks and blitz even occasionally hamstrung the defense’s pass rush and made their secondary look much worse that it really was. The key again will be if Watt can stay healthy. If he does he will still demand double teams and Jacob Martin will wreak havoc. Mercilus also is very effective when Watt is on the field. If the defense can just be mediocre against the pass, the Texans will win 10-12 games this year. To me it is a two team race for the division. If Tannehill is for real then there will be a real dogfight between the two. If not the Texans will win the division hands down.

What people don’t realize is this upcoming season is an all in year for the Texans. They are only on the hook for Cooks, both Johnsons, Fuller, Stills, McKinney for one year. They can blow it up after the year and suck in 2021 when they have no draft capital and gear up for high picks in 2022 when they have their full draft and then some, especially with comp picks from free agents like Fuller, McKinney, and others they won’t resign.
This is a weak attempt at an all-in year. David Johnson is dust, Brandin Cooks is dust, Randall Cobb is overrated, Laremy Tunsil is overrated... and they are all severely overpaid.
BoB is brain dead and the McNairs are crooks.

Welcome to Tennessee. We don't make these kind of moves.

There's a lot of "if X stays healthy" in this post. If history shows anything, most of these guys can't stay healthy. What would make you think this year would be different?!

I do think Watson is legit though.

Think it's a slight overpay, but the cap goes up every year, and he is probowl quality. I'm ok with it. Thing is, if Watson leaves, and he should, he won't be protecting anything. So there is that. He did all of this without an agent. guaranteed, good pay, long term.
from what ive read BoB plans to extend watson this offseason. i cant wait to see the overpay on him, im sure dak is excited too

from what ive read BoB plans to extend watson this offseason. i cant wait to see the overpay on him, im sure dak is excited too
I hope Watson holds out waiting for dak and Mahomes. Not saying he should get mahomes money but it shouldn't be far off. Should easily get better than dak.

I hope Watson holds out waiting for dak and Mahomes. Not saying he should get mahomes money but it shouldn't be far off. Should easily get better than dak.
not sure what's with all the hate on dak

dak last year - 4900 yards and 30 TDs
deshaun last year - 3800 yards and 26 TDs

texans did better in W/L but that certainly wasnt all daks fault

i'd say they are in the same range

not sure what's with all the hate on dak

dak last year - 4900 yards and 30 TDs
deshaun last year - 3800 yards and 26 TDs

texans did better in W/L but that certainly wasnt all daks fault

i'd say they are in the same range
I agree. Dak is just as valuable as Watson to me.

The KEY to Fuller being the KEY to the offense was Hopkins getting doubled and drawing the best CB. The Texans don’t have that now. Hopkins was never fast anyway . ever. Great route runner and awesome hands. The Texans have nothing but throw it deep guys now. The Texans are trying to duplicate the Chiefs offense. Not going to end good. Dumping Hopkins for nothing in an “ all in year “ wasn’t very smart. Bad year to go all in. Chiefs, Ravens, Titans, Colts, Bills , Steelers are all better teams right now. 7-9 year for Texans if everybody stays healthy. Also... saying Watson gets extended isn’t that simple. Watson has some say in that. He may want out. If he is as good as you say, I doubt he is, then can you imagine his payday in free agency? The Texans just picked up his 5th year. This is why giving up the 1st round picks for Tunsil was so stupid. They could have drafted a LT for cheap. Now they have to pay Watson and put a team around him ? Can’t do it.

My feeling about Dak is that he is not as valuable as his production, which is probably exactly how Jerry Jones feels. It's a no win situation. Dallas can't do better. So they are stuck in this limbo. You can't argue with his numbers and production, but at the same time Dak isn't really a difference maker, and I think you can see that, and feel that. He's racking up numbers but nothing is translating into results. If they win it won't be glamourous either. Dallas really needs a star back there to be happy, but they just don't exist.

First things first ....
View attachment 17486

It's harder to locate a cornerstone LT than it is a franchise QB. That's why Left Tackles are being paid absurd amounts of money.

Funny. I moved to Houston from Memphis and was an avid St. Louis Cardinal fan. When you move to a new city it is difficult not to become involved in the local team. After a year or two, I still routed for the Cardinals but being exposed to all the players and games quickly became an Astros, Oiler, and Rocket fan. It was easier with the move to Houston as Memphis didn’t have a pro basketball team at the time and the Football Cardinals had moved to Arizona.

I never had the real hate for the Oiler born Titans that some in Houston fans have. I suspect that as I become more familiar with the Titans players and have all the local inundation of information the Titans will replace the Texans as my favorite team. Not so much band wagon jumping as adopting a city and its teams. I will still be a Rockets and Astros fan. This year will be a mixed feeling regarding the Texans. I can name virtually the entire depth chart for the Texans and have been emotionally involved in all their moves for years.

Unlike most Texas fans, I think the Texans will be much better this upcoming year. Cooks impact is being extremely underrated and his concussion history overstated. Tunsil was rated 2nd in pass protection of all left tackles. He was much more mediocre on run blocking and he had a lot of costly penalties that brought his overall rating down. There OL is talented and will become one of the best units in the league for years to come (barring injury).

I will be routing for the Titans and getting to know their personnel and plans all year. When the Texans and Titans play I won’t honestly be able to switch off allegiances to a team I have supported for over a decade, but over time, just like when I moved to Houston will become a one team fan for the Titans.

Funny. I moved to Houston from Memphis and was an avid St. Louis Cardinal fan. When you move to a new city it is difficult not to become involved in the local team. After a year or two, I still routed for the Cardinals but being exposed to all the players and games quickly became an Astros, Oiler, and Rocket fan. It was easier with the move to Houston as Memphis didn’t have a pro basketball team at the time and the Football Cardinals had moved to Arizona.

I never had the real hate for the Oiler born Titans that some in Houston fans have. I suspect that as I become more familiar with the Titans players and have all the local inundation of information the Titans will replace the Texans as my favorite team. Not so much band wagon jumping as adopting a city and its teams. I will still be a Rockets and Astros fan. This year will be a mixed feeling regarding the Texans. I can name virtually the entire depth chart for the Texans and have been emotionally involved in all their moves for years.

Unlike most Texas fans, I think the Texans will be much better this upcoming year. Cooks impact is being extremely underrated and his concussion history overstated. Tunsil was rated 2nd in pass protection of all left tackles. He was much more mediocre on run blocking and he had a lot of costly penalties that brought his overall rating down. There OL is talented and will become one of the best units in the league for years to come (barring injury).

I will be routing for the Titans and getting to know their personnel and plans all year. When the Texans and Titans play I won’t honestly be able to switch off allegiances to a team I have supported for over a decade, but over time, just like when I moved to Houston will become a one team fan for the Titans.
I'm not sure how you can overstate 5 "known" concussions in a 6 year career, 2 of which were last season. If anything, the fact that he continues to play means they have been understated.

I'm not sure how you can overstate 5 "known" concussions in a 6 year career, 2 of which were last season. If anything, the fact that he continues to play means they have been understated.

They were all “mild concussions” with 2 being questioned as to whether they were concussions at all. Recently the doctors from both the player and NFL have stated that the type of concussions he had do not lead to the likelihood of more concussions. Brandin played in 10 of 16 games in his rookie year. He then played in all 16 games the next 4 years and played in 14/16 last year. The injury concern is overstated.

They were all “mild concussions” with 2 being questioned as to whether they were concussions at all. Recently the doctors from both the player and NFL have stated that the type of concussions he had do not lead to the likelihood of more concussions. Brandin played in 10 of 16 games in his rookie year. He then played in all 16 games the next 4 years and played in 14/16 last year. The injury concern is overstated.
He may have played in 14 games last year, but he had his worst season statistically of his career. Fewest catches, TD's, and the worst catch % of his career by a pretty good margin. That could be attributed somewhat to his team and QB, but he wasn't doing much to help things either. How many years have we seen Hopkins or Andre Johnson play with a bag of potatoes at QB and still put up monster seasons?

Cooks would have been a good addition if you still had Hopkins. As it stands though, there are more question marks for the Texans WR corp than ever. That entire group either has a CVS receipt of injuries or has consistently underperformed.

Cooks is on his 4th team in as many years, and had several teams that could have really used him move on from him. I would definitely not be putting too many eggs in his basket.

The texans head coach/GM is destroying the franchise and fixing to have them in cap hell with watson contract.

We need to be watching out for the colts. They have had a good draft and off season

The texans head coach/GM is destroying the franchise and fixing to have them in cap hell with watson contract.

We need to be watching out for the colts. They have had a good draft and off season
If they had a QB, yes they would be a contender for the division. But Rivers does not scare me at this point. He has a pop gun for an arm now, and he's hitting the QB wall.

That said, the rest of that team is good, and beating them won't be a cake walk. They might not be in the hunt for the division, but they'll certainly be looking to play spoiler and won't be a pushover.

If they had a QB, yes they would be a contender for the division. But Rivers does not scare me at this point. He has a pop gun for an arm now, and he's hitting the QB wall.

That said, the rest of that team is good, and beating them won't be a cake walk. They might not be in the hunt for the division, but they'll certainly be looking to play spoiler and won't be a pushover.

Honestly I thought the Jags actually drafted quite well overall. I think we are going to be one of the top divisions in the NFL next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back