Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soxcat said:
Most of the blame should go to the coaching staff IMO. They were ill prepared and didn't make proper adjustments to the Steelers scheme. On the other hand you have to give the Steelers coaching staff a huge thumbs up for putting together a great game plan. They almost made it look easy.

I watched a tape of the press conference and didn't think Manning's comments were that far out. Certainly he should have been more careful with his words but trying to answer why they got beat was simply because they didn't have an answer for the Steelers blitzes. I'm not sure where he acted like a spoiled brat. Manning actually did all he could do to put the Colt's in position to possibly win the game. The Colt's defense wasn't playing real well and if not for Manning picking it up a notch the game would not have been close.

This whole game isnt on Manning your correct about that, they were clearly out coached and their offensive line sucked. His comments werent that far out, but you could tell he was trying to deflect blame, and even though he was right, thats more of a clubhouse issue than media issue. Much the same with Tiki's comments last week about being out coached. Tiki was right, but it can only cause friction by calling out your coaching stafff or teammates with the media only minutes after a playoff loss.

KamikaZ said:
Too much hate on Manning IMO. Way too much. He had a decent game, but he did act like a little ***** when they lost. Plus, overriding Dungy was just wrong.

If Dungy didn't have enough faith/trust in Manning he would not have let him to do that.

Starkiller said:
How did Manning have a decent game?

I would say 22/38 for 290 yards and a TD was "decent" if not more than decent. The OL gave Manning no time to throw the ball and the Steelers shut down the Indy running game. Manning was also sacked 5 times in the game. Not too many QBs that have that much pressure on them are able to throw for almost 300 yards. Add in that the Indy defense spotted the Steelers 14 points and allowed the Steelers to control the clock with a 10 minute advantage in TOP Manning did well to get Indy back into the game. How about the false start on the 1 yard line after a nice Colt drive (96 yards) which ultimately resulted in the Colts only getting 3 points instead of 7 (James was stopped short on 3rd down). The Colts also had 9 penalties to the Steelers 2 (no doubt Manning's fault?). A couple of Mannings throws to Wayne were as good of throws as any QB can make.

Of course Starkiller also said McNair had a decent game in the Music City Miracle win after Mcnair was 13-24 for 76 yards, 1 INT, 0 TD.

KamikaZ said:
Too much hate on Manning IMO. Way too much. He had a decent game, but he did act like a little ***** when they lost. Plus, overriding Dungy was just wrong.

One, they converted that 4th down so I dont see how you criticize that, and 2, Manning didnt over ride Dungy, Dungy is the HC, its his call. If he didnt want to go for it then he should have got his QB off the field. But since it was a conversion anyway, I dont see how its even an issue.

Soxcat said:
I would say 22/38 for 290 yards and a TD was "decent" if not more than decent. Add in that the Indy defense spotted the Steelers 14 points and allowed the Steelers to control the clock with a 10 minute advantage in TOP Manning did well to get Indy back into the game.

See, you give Manning all the credit for getting them back into the game. What about the OL then, and the receivers, or the liquored-up idiot kicker? That's what seems to be lacking in Indy. The team-first philosophy.

The talking heads can say all they want about Manning. After all they are the ones that make him God when he is winning games and the goat when they lose. Either way this loss was a team effort. The defense didn't do their part, the offense didn't do their part especially protecting Manning and the coaching staff was out coached.
I guess the best thing Manning could do is to turn all of the play calling over to the coaches so he can be less effective but also take less of the blame when they lose. I'm not trying to defend Manning but in all honesty I don't know of any QB in the league who could have done much better in that game.

dg1979us said:
One, they converted that 4th down so I dont see how you criticize that, and 2, Manning didnt over ride Dungy, Dungy is the HC, its his call. If he didnt want to go for it then he should have got his QB off the field. But since it was a conversion anyway, I dont see how its even an issue.

Uh, I saw the punt team coming out and Manning shooing them off. That overriding the coach in my book. And no player should be able to do that, I don't care how good or stuck up they are. And what if they didn't get it? I didn't say it was a stupid call did I? Quote me. My problem is the blatent disrespect he showed. :sad2:

Soxcat said:
The talking heads can say all they want about Manning. After all they are the ones that make him God when he is winning games and the goat when they lose. Either way this loss was a team effort. The defense didn't do their part, the offense didn't do their part especially protecting Manning and the coaching staff was out coached.
I guess the best thing Manning could do is to turn all of the play calling over to the coaches so he can be less effective but also take less of the blame when they lose. I'm not trying to defend Manning but in all honesty I don't know of any QB in the league who could have done much better in that game.

I agree. I don't get this "Manning lost the game again" vibe from everyone I speak to. That first article was completely scathing and made little sense (aka a typical hate article). He did have a very pourous start, no doubt. But the L wasn't on him alone. The problem is his attitude ("I want to be a teamplayer, but...") and just this blatent disrespect he seems to carry. He's a great player, but I just dislike him a lot.

KamikaZ said:
Uh, I saw the punt team coming out and Manning shooing them off. That overriding the coach in my book. And no player should be able to do that, I don't care how good or stuck up they are. And what if they didn't get it? I didn't say it was a stupid call did I? Quote me. My problem is the blatent disrespect he showed. :sad2:

I dont see how thats disrespectful in the least bit, on one hand he isnt a leader, on the other hand when he wants to go for it he is disrespectful, i dont get it. And 2, if Dungy lets players "over ride" him as you say, then they clearly have coaching issues as well. Peyton convinced him to go for it, and Dungy let him, but it was still Dungys call, and was the right call.

KamikaZ said:
Convinced him? Since when did they talk about it? Looked like it was all on Peyton.

FIne your right, Tony Dungy has no control of his team and is just a figurehead that is to stand there and look good.

Ya know, there is criticism to go around for manning for sure, but the idea that he "overrided" his coach is just crazy. If Dungy wanted to kick it, he would told the team to still go out there, plain and simple.

dg1979us said:
FIne your right, Tony Dungy has no control of his team and is just a figurehead that is to stand there and look good.

Ya know, there is criticism to go around for manning for sure, but the idea that he "overrided" his coach is just crazy. If Dungy wanted to kick it, he would told the team to still go out there, plain and simple.

What makes you so sure? Dungy is a very passive personality(if not talented) and Manning is a high pedigree player who loves to blame everything but himself for a loss (Never heard him take responsibility for a loss, which is what a leader does period). Seems extremely possible to me. Maybe I'm alone on that.:suspect:

KamikaZ said:
What makes you so sure? Dungy is a very passive personality(if not talented) and Manning is a high pedigree player who loves to blame everything but himself for a loss (Never heard him take responsibility for a loss, which is what a leader does period). Seems extremely possible to me. Maybe I'm alone on that.:suspect:

What makes me so sure of what? That it was Dungys call? Because he is the HC and they make those decisions, thats what he is paid to do.

Dungy has voluntarily delegated some authority to Manning the way he gives Manning so much freedom in the offense. Still, if Dungy had insisted on punting the ball thats what would have happened. Whats amazing is if the Colts win that game ie. their kicker makes the FG and the Colts win in overtime Manning's insisting on going for and making the first down in that situation would have been a playoff classic. If McNair had done the same thing in a playoff game and made the first down he would be called a great leader and a hero. The only reason we are even discussing the play in a negative sense is because the Colts eventually lost.

ya know what ......

I just watched the interview with Peyton on the NFLN

and he tried as hard as he could to be as careful as he could in his responses. he didn't just walk up to the podium and start the conversations with "We lost because of lots of problems. the most atrocious of those my crappy OL's protection problems"

he could have pulled out the cookie cutter responses like " Well, we went out there with our gameplan, gave it 110% and the other team was ready for us. (insert opponent name here) played a great ballgame, they have some great players and a great coach and they did a great job"

but he didn't. he tried hard to avoid stepping on toes, he even said (several times) that he didn't want to point fingers and wanted to be a good teammate

I think he's overstated in the media - both ways
He's always the Hero or the Scapegoat - never in between

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back