Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres every chance the 2nd year of Conklins deal is more than $14m on the cap.

Also, hindsight. This paragraph is full of hindsight.

The majority were happy with letting Conklin go 12 months ago, everyone recognised we needed more pass rush.

No one really beefed with letting Conklin go in order to chase pass rush in FA. Obviously it turned out very badly, and if he had his time again JRob would surely have either signed other pass rushers, or kept Conklin and drafted pass rush instead of Wilson. Probably the latter.

You could have the same conversation about every other team in the league over a 5-year period.

Full of hindsight? I stated that if JRob was contemplating using a 1st round pick on a RT he might as well kept Conklin. Turns out the strategy was exposed even more so because of the dud we took. I explained the odds are only 56% to start even with a first round pick. I also said I was fine with letting Conklin go and signing Kelly but not fine with letting Conklin go, signing Kelly AND still using a 1st round pick at RT. Ahhhh keep in mind that Clowney and Beasley were ONE year signings. Which mean even if they had solid years we are back to this scenario again with both of them as FAs. Which means we are still signing one of them or Dupree. Now we signed Dupree but still don't have an answer at RT unless Lamm is better than expected. Amazing how people will argue a totally screwed up strategy by JRob until they are blue in the face. It isn't about Conklin being a super man RT as much as it is about solidifying the spot so we don't have to worry about it (draft or FA) for a few years. We accomplished NOTHING at edge or RT by letting Conklin walk.

Oh, by the way Conklin's CAP hit last year on that deal was .... $8 mil. It is $13 mil this year. So do the math. Last year we saved a couple of mil on the CAP not signing Conklin, and this year we saved $5 mil ($4 mil to Lamm and $4 mil dead money for Kelly).

If JRob goes WR in the first next Thursday, does it make letting Corey Davis go a bad move?
I actually think an argument can be made from both sides. The Titans have only 42% of their roster as “homegrown” talent. Is that enough or does that put you in constant replace mode? On the other hand, given our previous roster, you would expect to bring in more outside talent. In the most simplistic form, keeping good to great players at a position means you can focus on building strengths at other spots. Theoretically, that would be a deeper, stronger team. If high picks are constantly replaced, are you simply on a roster treadmill and stuck at a certain talent level?

If JRob goes WR in the first next Thursday, does it make letting Corey Davis go a bad move?

We all know Davis never lived up to his draft position and he wasn't worth the contract (we replaced him with Reynolds which isn't much of a drop off) and the draft is absolutely loaded at WR. Davis isn't even close to the level of WR Brown is so replacing him is not a big deal. Sure we might draft a guy even worse but Davis is an average #2.

Now if Davis was a little better, more consistent and not dinged as often I'd have been on board at keeping. Thing was that Davis wasn't able to get separation consistently even when he had single coverage.

Your whole logic on letting Conklin go is based on a false concept that he sucked. Not supported by about anyone else rating these guys.

The top 101 players from the 2019 NFL season | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF
Here is Conklin getting rated as the 81st best player based on his crappy 2019 play. Right.

Your whole logic on letting
Conklin go is based on a false concept that he sucked. Not supported by about anyone else rating these guys.

The top 101 players from the 2019 NFL season | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF
Here is Conklin getting rated as the 81st best player based on his crappy 2019 play. Right.

Why trade back up to 8 to take Conklin and let him walk? Just stay at 15 and take Taylor Decker.

With good OTs in place, should have locked Conklin up early.

According to Pro Football Focus, Lewan was the No. 4 offensive tackle in football in 2017 while his teammate Jack Conklin was No. 3

Your whole logic on letting Conklin go is based on a false concept that he sucked. Not supported by about anyone else rating these guys.
Why are you looking at his 2019 stats? Again, JRob has to make the decision whether or not to pick up his fifth-year option BEFORE the start of the '19 season.

As for Davis, he had 984 receiving yards last season. But, like Conklin, JRob made the decision to decline Davis' fifth-season option based on his THIRD season where he actually declined in production from '18.

I agree with JRob's decision for both despite both having solid final seasons with the Titans. The salary cap balances out talent across the league as it's designed to do. JRob had to keep Tanny and Henry which means either tag Conklin or give him a deal similar to what he received from Cleveland which is $42M. With Kelly playing well, it was a no-brainer and, as the season played out, Henry's stats improved as did sacks given up vs. '19.

I actually think an argument can be made from both sides. The Titans have only 42% of their roster as “homegrown” talent. Is that enough or does that put you in constant replace mode? On the other hand, given our previous roster, you would expect to bring in more outside talent. In the most simplistic form, keeping good to great players at a position means you can focus on building strengths at other spots. Theoretically, that would be a deeper, stronger team. If high picks are constantly replaced, are you simply on a roster treadmill and stuck at a certain talent level?
With the salary cap, every team stays in replacement mode. Unless a player is a difference-maker, first-round picks rarely see a long-term deal on the team that drafted them.

I was shocked at the number but can't remember where I saw it.

As for the Titans, they've not signed a first-round pick to a longterm deal since Lewan. Before that, you have to go all the way back to Derrick Morgan.

Why are you looking at his 2019 stats? Again, JRob has to make the decision whether or not to pick up his fifth-year option BEFORE the start of the '19 season.

As for Davis, he had 984 receiving yards last season. But, like Conklin, JRob made the decision to decline Davis' fifth-season option based on his THIRD season where he actually declined in production from '18.

I agree with JRob's decision for both despite both having solid final seasons with the Titans. The salary cap balances out talent across the league as it's designed to do. JRob had to keep Tanny and Henry which means either tag Conklin or give him a deal similar to what he received from Cleveland which is $42M. With Kelly playing well, it was a no-brainer and, as the season played out, Henry's stats improved as did sacks given up vs. '19.

What in Kentucky are you talking about? The 2019 stats are what you go by if you want to RE-SIGN him to a three year deal. The decision is an entire year apart from deciding on the 5th year option (which I agreed with in both cases).

How many pro bowls has Davis been to? It is like comparing a JAG to a pro bowl player. Reynolds can put up Davis numbers with our QB and Brown across from him. Davis and Conklin are on completely different levels. By the way Conklin was the HIGHEST rated RT last year per PFF in the NFL.

I've also said about 5 times now I was fine signing Kelly after letting Conklin go. What was stupid deciding to let Conklin go and then using a 1st round pick on a RT after signing Kelly (not to mention had he waited a year this class is much better for OTs with starting caliber OTs available in the 3rd round). Seriously, is this too hard to understand? Oh, and 984 yards for a WR in the 1980s is pretty impressive. Last year Davis was #20 in receiving yards. Not bad but not something to strut about and that was his best season.

With the salary cap, every team stays in replacement mode. Unless a player is a difference-maker, first-round picks rarely see a long-term deal on the team that drafted them.

I was shocked at the number but can't remember where I saw it.

As for the Titans, they've not signed a first-round pick to a longterm deal since Lewan. Before that, you have to go all the way back to Derrick Morgan.

Which has way more to do with the guys we drafted and not where they were drafted. Maybe if we drafted guys like Henry and Brown in the 1st round ya think they would re-sign them? We draft duds like Warmack and Mariota and that tends to happen. Draft more guys like Simmons.....

Now with that said this year was a little different and with the CAP not being such an issue we might try and keep Adoree or Davis who both got mega deals. IMO Davis was simply not worth a mega deal and probably not Adoree but I can see keeping Adoree if we had more CAP.

List of 1st round picks since 2011:
Locker, Kendall Wright, Warmack, Lewan, Mariota, Conklin, Davis, Jackson, Evans, Simmons, Wilson. 5 total duds, 3 studs (yes, Conklin is a stud RT), and three decent starters.

What in Kentucky are you talking about? The 2019 stats are what you go by if you want to RE-SIGN him to a three year deal. The decision is an entire year apart from deciding on the 5th year option (which I agreed with in both cases).
So you’re saying that after JRob declined the option that he should have tried to sign him before he hit free agency?

I can’t say I’ve ever heard of any team declining the option and then signing after the season but let’s roll with that.

First of all, how do you know he didn’t try to sign Conklin? He may have.

Are you so familiar with the Titans cap situation that you know he could sign Conk and still be able to sign Henry and Tanny? I sure don’t.

How about being able to address the pass rush which was the biggest need going into last season?

Letting Conklin go was purely a cap decision knowing Kelly could do the job.

How many pro bowls has Davis been to? It is like comparing a JAG to a pro bowl player. Reynolds can put up Davis numbers with our QB and Brown across from him. Davis and Conklin are on completely different levels. By the way Conklin was the HIGHEST rated RT last year per PFF in the NFL.

I've also said about 5 times now I was fine signing Kelly after letting Conklin go. What was stupid deciding to let Conklin go and then using a 1st round pick on a RT after signing Kelly (not to mention had he waited a year this class is much better for OTs with starting caliber OTs available in the 3rd round). Seriously, is this too hard to understand? Oh, and 984 yards for a WR in the 1980s is pretty impressive. Last year Davis was #20 in receiving yards. Not bad but not something to strut about and that was his best season.
I know we often talk about it for the high profile players and production players but do OL have the potential to improve or decline based on the team around them as well?

I only suggest this because while it does appear Conklin made a full recovery from his ACL based off last season, not his previous (and last) in tenn but did his situation in Cleveland possibly help in a way that he wouldn’t have performed that highly had he be re-signed here?

Which has way more to do with the guys we drafted and not where they were drafted. Maybe if we drafted guys like Henry and Brown in the 1st round ya think they would re-sign them? We draft duds like Warmack and Mariota and that tends to happen. Draft more guys like Simmons.....

Now with that said this year was a little different and with the CAP not being such an issue we might try and keep Adoree or Davis who both got mega deals. IMO Davis was simply not worth a mega deal and probably not Adoree but I can see keeping Adoree if we had more CAP.

List of 1st round picks since 2011:
Locker, Kendall Wright, Warmack, Lewan, Mariota, Conklin, Davis, Jackson, Evans, Simmons, Wilson. 5 total duds, 3 studs (yes, Conklin is a stud RT), and three decent starters.
I agree with keeping Adoree if cap room allowed it. I think he also played a more needed role for Tennessee than Davis as far as replaceable/just not needed. We still need a CB, I think we’re ok at WR (not great, but ok)

Of course you can sign a guy to a contract a year after you declined the 5th year option. If the player is good in year four the 5th year option is going to give them less money so while their feelings might be hurt Conklin and Davis ended up better off and Adoree got cut on his 5th year (they could have given Conklin his 5th year and cut him if he wasn't worth it). True as well that they might have offered Conklin a contract and he declined.

Again, I'm fine with saving money on the CAP and signing Kelly to a $6 mil contract but to them turn around and use a 1st round pick on a RT is where I'm puzzled. If RT is that valuable just keep the guy you know is one of the best RT in the league.

Either way it doesn't matter now. JRob totally screwed the pooch. He let Conklin go, signed Kelly and then cut him (4 mil dead CAP). He signed two duds as edge rushers to big one year contracts. Then he used a first round pick on a RT that has the brains of a peanut.

Again, I'm fine with saving money on the CAP and signing Kelly to a $6 mil contract but to them turn around and use a 1st round pick on a RT is where I'm puzzled. If RT is that valuable just keep the guy you know is one of the best RT in the league
We don’t know if JRob went into the draft targeting RT. He may have felt he was the BPA when they picked and knew he’d have a season to groom him before replacing Kelly this season and having RT set for the next four or more.

If JRob had the chance to do it all over again, he’d do it differently just as he’d want a do-over if Davis goes on to be a beast and whoever he drafts to replace him busts.

Still stuck on that same logic I see. How about we let Davis go, sign Reynolds to a 3 year contract and still draft a WR and cut Reynolds in a year (costing us $4 mil in dead money)? Or maybe that is a bad example since we also cut our slot WR.

Not sure I can fully agree that we took the BPA with the RT. Seemed like a reach to me even if he had more than a peanut brain. Procrastinators gave us a break because we were a ground and pound running team but in reality we pickled a kid we might have had in the 2nd round (59th ranked per CBS).

Keep arguing like you are JRob's boy friend.

Still stuck on that same logic I see. How about we let Davis go, sign Reynolds to a 3 year contract and still draft a WR and cut Reynolds in a year (costing us $4 mil in dead money)? Or maybe that is a bad example since we also cut our slot WR.

Not sure I can fully agree that we took the BPA with the RT. Seemed like a reach to me even if he had more than a peanut brain. Procrastinators gave us a break because we were a ground and pound running team but in reality we pickled a kid we might have had in the 2nd round (59th ranked per CBS).

Keep arguing like you are JRob's boy friend.
Seems you are letting this debate get to you. Maybe you should take a step back, take a deep breath and remember it really isnt that big of a deal. What is done is done.

Of course you can sign a guy to a contract a year after you declined the 5th year option. If the player is good in year four the 5th year option is going to give them less money so while their feelings might be hurt Conklin and Davis ended up better off and Adoree got cut on his 5th year (they could have given Conklin his 5th year and cut him if he wasn't worth it). True as well that they might have offered Conklin a contract and he declined.

Again, I'm fine with saving money on the CAP and signing Kelly to a $6 mil contract but to them turn around and use a 1st round pick on a RT is where I'm puzzled. If RT is that valuable just keep the guy you know is one of the best RT in the league.

Either way it doesn't matter now. JRob totally screwed the pooch. He let Conklin go, signed Kelly and then cut him (4 mil dead CAP). He signed two duds as edge rushers to big one year contracts. Then he used a first round pick on a RT that has the brains of a peanut.
I find your remark insulting to peanuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back