Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is true but not quite all the truth.. we traded for a bunch of capital, took some of that capital and used it on Conklin, still leaving us with more. It isnt like we gave up picks that were crucial to trade up to get him.

So in a way you could say we traded the number 1 overall pick for Conklin and a handful of more picks.
Yes all true but kind of sad, it's just Henry still on the team...

But for a kings ransom we got the King! Lol

I'm not even sure you know what you're arguing about...drafting a player and he's on your roster for the length of his rookie deal is not a longterm move...every team drafts players, hopefully the top draft slots last at least that long
Extending them past that is a longterm move, or locking them up in year 2 or 3 is a longterm move.
In regards to Henry, yes that was a longterm move...drafting Conklin and letting him walk after 4 years is not a longterm move

Just my opinion..so we can agree to disagree

So you seriously, in hindsight, dare to argue we could have kept Conklin instead of spending a ton of money on Clowney and Beasley? Additionally, that Isiah Wilson pick is certainly NOT a RT. It is also possible we could have gone for a different edge player to help there and literally ANYONE besides Clowney or Beasley (close to a waste $23 mil) would have been a better option. Also add in that we probably don't extend Kelly so save a few mil there.

So, we draft anyone besides Wilson and in fact have no need of drafting a RT anytime early in the draft, can still find some help at edge that isn't Clowney or Beasley and thus whoever that pick is, besides Wilson, is on the team NOW and a potential contributor for the next 4 years.

Leonard Floyd by the way had 10.5 sacks and cost the Bears $10 mil. The error (screw up) was not keeping Conklin (which resulted in the hideous pick of Wilson) AND picking worthless FAs to help the pass rush at the tune of $23 mil. Certainly choosing Gross Matos in the 1st instead of Wilson might not solve our pass rush dilemma in 2020 but still gives us a developmental pass rushers we would have on the team now.

I bet if we had known that all this would have happened in the future we would have done it differently.

I'm not even sure you know what you're arguing about...drafting a player and he's on your roster for the length of his rookie deal is not a longterm move...every team drafts players, hopefully the top draft slots last at least that long
Extending them past that is a longterm move, or locking them up in year 2 or 3 is a longterm move.
In regards to Henry, yes that was a longterm move...drafting Conklin and letting him walk after 4 years is not a longterm move

Just my opinion..so we can agree to disagree
You right brutha. Long-term is beyond rookie contract.

So your team has a hole at the TE position. If the GM signs a FA to a 5 yr deal is that a long term commitment???
That’s not a re-signing. A 5year deal is a long term deal, but don’t think we have one of those on the books. There is a difference between a standard initial contract and resigning a guy beyond that. I would also add that the length of the contract itself does not mean there is a long term commitment. I betcha that if JR signs a TE for 5 years, it’s to minimize cap hit and that player will not be on the team for the full term.

Exactly, that's the beauty of hindsight...its 20-20

A big part of the issue however is we let go of three recent 1st round picks so are now in need at those positions ( a big part of our draft is centered on those three positions). I realize the CAP was an issue but we can't keep drafting good players and letting them go. We ended up using a first round pick on Wilson to replace a guy we used an early 1st round pick on that we also traded other picks for. What the Wilson pick signified was that JRob really wants a top notch players at both OTs. So why not try and keep the one you have? Again, Conklin's $14 mil contract was not unreasonable.

Now IMO we do need to find a RT in FA (maybe Lamm is the answer) or the draft in the 3rd or later and should not use that high of draft resources at that position with other positions a higher value (edge, CB, WR). That is a separate issue. Thus, the entire scenario wasn't ideal from using so many draft resources on Conklin to begin with to simply letting him walk. The issue is like dominoes falling with one bad decision leading to another and another.

Keep in mind we let go of 3/4 of our starting secondary and our NB. We let let go of 2/3 of our starting 3 WRs. The year previous we used a 1st round pick on a RT because we let Conklin go a year earlier. The year we let Conklin walk we signed Clowney and Beasley at 19.5 mil combined.

I'm a JRob fan but he really needs to hit big on this draft or my confidence in him is going to drop a few notches.

A big part of the issue however is we let go of three recent 1st round picks so are now in need at those positions ( a big part of our draft is centered on those three positions). I realize the CAP was an issue but we can't keep drafting good players and letting them go. We ended up using a first round pick on Wilson to replace a guy we used an early 1st round pick on that we also traded other picks for. What the Wilson pick signified was that JRob really wants a top notch players at both OTs. So why not try and keep the one you have? Again, Conklin's $14 mil contract was not unreasonable.

Now IMO we do need to find a RT in FA (maybe Lamm is the answer) or the draft in the 3rd or later and should not use that high of draft resources at that position with other positions a higher value (edge, CB, WR). That is a separate issue. Thus, the entire scenario wasn't ideal from using so many draft resources on Conklin to begin with to simply letting him walk. The issue is like dominoes falling with one bad decision leading to another and another.

Keep in mind we let go of 3/4 of our starting secondary and our NB. We let let go of 2/3 of our starting 3 WRs. The year previous we used a 1st round pick on a RT because we let Conklin go a year earlier. The year we let Conklin walk we signed Clowney and Beasley at 19.5 mil combined.

I'm a JRob fan but he really needs to hit big on this draft or my confidence in him is going to drop a few notches.
I agree with you on the need to keep our 1st round picks but my thoughts on that were falling on deaf ears...I got the "alot of teams don't resign their 1st round picks" argument, I don't agree with that
Conklin especially, like you said we moved back to get him...yes we got picks in the initial move down to 15 but who's left ? Henry...thats not a great haul after all

My question is are you really “building” through the draft if you can’t retain your top drafted players. To me that’s replacing with the draft not building.

IMO their is nothing wrong with building the team by replacing higher priced players with younger cheaper players while using the savings to strengthen other parts of your team.

Of course if the younger player turns into a total knucklehead and is already out of the league then your plan doesn't fully come to fruition.

Making Conklin the 2nd highest paid RT is not something I'd want to do if I were the GM....RT just isn't the spot to spend your money.

Not just Conklin, but the everyone but Evans from the first round is gone from JR’s tenure and he’s probably next. Gotta get these guys tied up before their contracts expire and forces your hand. Otherwise, it’s hard to build if you have to keep replacing the same bricks.

Not just Conklin, but the everyone but Evans from the first round is gone from JR’s tenure and he’s probably next. Gotta get these guys tied up before their contracts expire and forces your hand. Otherwise, it’s hard to build if you have to keep replacing the same bricks.

I agree...unfortunately injuries have really hampered the 1st rnd picks of JRob which has made those early extensions tougher to justify. My guess is that Simmons will be the first one to get an early extension.

Do you think that Evans should be given an extension right now?

I agree...unfortunately injuries have really hampered the 1st rnd picks of JRob which has made those early extensions tougher to justify. My guess is that Simmons will be the first one to get an early extension.

Do you think that Evans should be given an extension right now?
Nope, I’d trade Evans now and get what I can get before we let him walk. Based on last year, I would go with Long and Brown inside and possibly Goodson in FA. Conklin I would have signed at the end of year 3 when he wouldn’t have cost as much. Most ACLs take two years to get back to normal as did his. By year 4, he was back and too expensive by JR’s measure. As I have said before, with key guys, let’s be more proactive and not wait until there is FA competition to drive up salaries.

I just dont see what difference Conklin would have made. All that money, for what? Would Henry have ran for 2500 yards? Would our offense have been the number 1 offense ever? Would Tannehill have broken records?

probably not, so why spend the extra money on him and wait "2" years for his ACL.

For me, I am happy JRob didn’t pay to keep any of his first-round players. Conklin was average after his ACL. Adoree couldn’t stay on the field. Davis only produced his final season and still disappeared for stretches.

Evans won’t get a long-term deal unless he has an amazing season. Landry isn’t a guarantee either. He’s still one-dimensional and wasn’t as productive last season.

JRob needs to have another year drafting like he did in ‘19.

Agree on Jackson and Davis but I think the point with Conklin is, if he was drafted to be the "franchise RT" after the trade up to get him, seems like that was the thought he should have been locked after year 2

Did we miss him? No but we could have had him cheaper than the 12-14 mil he's getting

Agree on Jackson and Davis but I think the point with Conklin is, if he was drafted to be the "franchise RT" after the trade up to get him, seems like that was the thought he should have been locked after year 2

Did we miss him? No but we could have had him cheaper than the 12-14 mil he's getting
Sure, in hindsight. Just between us.. I use save a lot during Madden draft, if my pick is crap, I reload and pick someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back