Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what that even means...
it means at the time when you were saying sign him, that would actually be considered early since he was still under contract. But we should have known to sign him early in his rookie deal. Why not resign all rookie players to long term contracts in their 2nd or 3rd year? Just think of the players we might have signed around year 2 or 3 if we went with that.. Mariota for instance.. probably for a "deal" for a franchise qb at 21mil a year.

it means at the time when you were saying sign him, that would actually be considered early since he was still under contract. But we should have known to sign him early in his rookie deal. Why not resign all rookie players to long term contracts in their 2nd or 3rd year? Just think of the players we might have signed around year 2 or 3 if we went with that.. Mariota for instance.. probably for a "deal" for a franchise qb at 21mil a year.
Yeaaaaa!!!!
We could all use some more Bishop sankey!!!!!

Agree on Jackson and Davis but I think the point with Conklin is, if he was drafted to be the "franchise RT" after the trade up to get him, seems like that was the thought he should have been locked after year 2

Did we miss him? No but we could have had him cheaper than the 12-14 mil he's getting
Totally plausible that he was expected to be the franchise RT until he tore his ACL. Zero argument with wanting to see the recovery process on that and his first year back wasn’t great. Cleveland was willing to shell out a lot of money on what appeared to be a question mark or at least a player not worth that much after his ACL tear. Good gamble for Cleveland, it payed off. Not a big loss for Tennessee.

The Wilson pick was trash and has been attached to letting go of Conklin which I don’t think it entirely fair. Many, at least here, didn’t want to take an OL at all, not just Wilson. The fact Wilson was as bad as he was keeps going back to letting Conklin go when in reality, moving on from Conklin in itself wasn’t a problem, Wilson being drafted at all was the bad move.

Agree on Jackson and Davis but I think the point with Conklin is, if he was drafted to be the "franchise RT" after the trade up to get him, seems like that was the thought he should have been locked after year 2

Did we miss him? No but we could have had him cheaper than the 12-14 mil he's getting
No one does a long-term deal for players going into the third season of their rookie contract — especially coming off a major injury like Conklin was.

He wasn’t anywhere close to returning to being as good his third season and, though he improved his fourth season, never got back to where he was before the jury, IMO.

Main issue for me is if you spend a high pick on a guy, who works out to become a high quality player and you let him go just to use another high pick (a 56% gamble even in the first round) on his replacement you never get ahead.

Main issue for me is if you spend a high pick on a guy, who works out to become a high quality player and you let him go just to use another high pick (a 56% gamble even in the first round) on his replacement you never get ahead.
Exactly my opinion. You are not “building” through the draft, you are “replacing” through the draft if you can’t retain your guys. And anyone who thinks Conklin wouldn’t have made a difference didn’t watch the playoff last season. Our OL was pushed around fairly easily. Henry’s 2.2 yards per carry were a result of that. It’s why Kelly is gone.

Wilson is a good example of not replacing and keep the good ones you have.

It's been said games are won in the trenches but we let our RT leave? Build the line, get some continuity...yes Henry ran for 2k but the man is a beast!

What high quality player have the Titans drafted and not kept?

Conklin certainly wasn’t showing himself to be high-quality at the end of his fourth season. I think he was average, at best.

Was there potential for him to return to the player he was before the ACL and knee injuries? Sure. But I don’t blame JRob one bit for not giving him a huge deal like he received from the Browns to find out.

Typically the Titan perspective is the guy sucks if we don't sign him ......but interestingly almost everyone gave props to the Browns for getting him at the price they did. His estimated value fell right at $14 mil by NFL Salary Cap, Player Contracts, Salaries, Bonuses and Analysis | Over the Cap. You are also one season off in your thinking. Yea, he tore his knee in the playoffs and was not as good the next year (2018). His last year at TN he might not have been 100% either but he was the 10th rated OT per PFF 2020 (includes LT and RT) a pro-bowl level OT. Rated the #2 OT in free agency as an "average" OT per PFF.

Now do some simple math. 1st round picks hit at an average of 56%. Obviously that % drops some as you get later in the 1st round. So we use a 1st round pick on an OT who obviously fell into the 44%+ as a total bust. Now I didn't have a problem signing Kelly after we let Conklin go but my real problem is letting Conklin go and then turning around and using a 1st round pick on an OT. If JRob's plan was to do that why not keep Conklin? And by the way the POS Beasley was paid what Conklin made last year and Conklin was had for a three, not a five, year deal meaning even if he is "average" it is a contract you can get out of in a few years easy enough.

By the way we did sign Kelly to a 3 year contract near $6 mil a year so to keep Conklin it would have cost us $8 mil more as we don't sign Kelly in that scenario. Now we have cut Kelly and are still taking a $4 mil dead money hit while paying Lamm $4 mil a year (Conklin costs us only $6 mil more this year on the CAP).

And if that is not enough, aren't we looking at using another fairly early pick on a RT? So assuming we find an OT in the 3rd round (knowing JRob he might pull the trigger again in the 1st) and we get lucky and the guy isn't a total turd we still used a wasted 1st and 3rd or better to maybe replace Conklin.

Typically the Titan perspective is the guy sucks if we don't sign him ......but interestingly almost everyone gave props to the Browns for getting him at the price they did. His estimated value fell right at $14 mil by NFL Salary Cap, Player Contracts, Salaries, Bonuses and Analysis | Over the Cap. You are also one season off in your thinking. Yea, he tore his knee in the playoffs and was not as good the next year (2018). His last year at TN he might not have been 100% either but he was the 10th rated OT per PFF 2020 (includes LT and RT) a pro-bowl level OT. Rated the #2 OT in free agency as an "average" OT per PFF.

Now do some simple math. 1st round picks hit at an average of 56%. Obviously that % drops some as you get later in the 1st round. So we use a 1st round pick on an OT who obviously fell into the 44%+ as a total bust. Now I didn't have a problem signing Kelly after we let Conklin go but my real problem is letting Conklin go and then turning around and using a 1st round pick on an OT. If JRob's plan was to do that why not keep Conklin? And by the way the POS Beasley was paid what Conklin made last year and Conklin was had for a three, not a five, year deal meaning even if he is "average" it is a contract you can get out of in a few years easy enough.

By the way we did sign Kelly to a 3 year contract near $6 mil a year so to keep Conklin it would have cost us $8 mil more as we don't sign Kelly in that scenario. Now we have cut Kelly and are still taking a $4 mil dead money hit while paying Lamm $4 mil a year (Conklin costs us only $6 mil more this year on the CAP).

And if that is not enough, aren't we looking at using another fairly early pick on a RT? So assuming we find an OT in the 3rd round (knowing JRob he might pull the trigger again in the 1st) and we get lucky and the guy isn't a total turd we still used a wasted 1st and 3rd or better to maybe replace Conklin.
Stop using logic!!!

I wasn't for drafting Conklin and wasn't for drafting Wilson...unless the guy can truly be a LT then I'm not drafting him in the first rnd. I'm also not paying my RT as the 2nd highest paid RT in the league.

I wasn't for drafting Conklin and wasn't for drafting Wilson...unless the guy can truly be a LT then I'm not drafting him in the first rnd. I'm also not paying my RT as the 2nd highest paid RT in the league.
Well you're not the GM so you don't have to worry about it then lol

We have some agreements here.
I also think it was a waste to pick RT in the first last year. That’s regardless of Wilson being that particular guy. I didn’t want any OL in the first.
Beasley be a waste of the money saved not re-signing Conklin is hindsight. I like the attempt with Beasley/clowney but it was a miserable failure.

as far as value for Conklin, I think there is some argument he was overpaid because of his performance the 2nd year after his injury but not drastically overpaid. I just don’t think the Titans had the money to spend on him knowing they had to address the pass rush.
Clearly JRob was happy with what Kelly brought for cheaper anyway, at least until his “prospect” developed which he never did. Ultimately Kelly did pretty well for the season despite a game or 2 (including the playoff game) where he was beaten.
I still like not having Conklin on the CAP especially considering how many other players just had to be cut and all the “restructure” comments for like the entire roster that I’ve seen around here.

I think those general 1st round % numbers are fine but don’t go into every case by case situation. It’s just the titans cap availability and the overall cost for Conklin didn’t match up. Not saying overpaid, not saying titans wouldn’t/didn’t value him but just had to make some financial cuts to improve the team in other areas. Conklin was just the cap casualty.

I am hoping if JRob and Co. think we need more help at RT that they do it through FA after the draft. Kelly is still out there, we could offer him a team friendly deal to come back. There's also Fisher and Schwartz who played for KC last year.

All that being said, I thought Sambrailo was descent last year filling in for Lewan. He may even be better on the right side. I say we are set at OT anyway.

I am hoping if JRob and Co. think we need more help at RT that they do it through FA after the draft. Kelly is still out there, we could offer him a team friendly deal to come back. There's also Fisher and Schwartz who played for KC last year.

All that being said, I thought Sambrailo was descent last year filling in for Lewan. He may even be better on the right side. I say we are set at OT anyway.
Agreed. I think we're done at OT.

Well, I don't put much into anything PFF ranks but he was ranked the #45th OT his third season (where he played only nine games). During that season, Conk had a concussion along with the knee issues which put him on the IR.

Remember that JRob has to make a decision on whether or not he's going to pick up the fifth-year option BEFORE his fourth season.

Now, JRob certainly could have signed him to a long-term deal before he hit free agency but Kelly looked solid replacing Conk when he was out. JRob saves $$$ with minimal decline in play (if sacks and Henry's rushing yards are any indication) so he can sign Henry and Tanny to long-term deals.

Now I didn't have a problem signing Kelly after we let Conklin go but my real problem is letting Conklin go and then turning around and using a 1st round pick on an OT.
I think Kelly was to be a stop-gap/insurance for a couple of seasons. I don't understand using a #1 at OT last season either but, I assume, JRob didn't plan on him starting until this season and wanted Panda to get some experience last season.

With needs at CB and WR, I hope to hell an OT isn't picked in the first after releasing Kelly and signing Lamm.

Would I love to have Conklin? You bet. But we have to remember, at the time JRob decided to pass on him and keep Kelly, it looked like the right move because of some serious cap decisions to make on the horizon. Obviously, Panda was a bad pick but few called it bad when it was made.

I seriously question releasing Kelly but there must be more going on we don't know about.

Theres every chance the 2nd year of Conklins deal is more than $14m on the cap.

Also, hindsight. This paragraph is full of hindsight.

The majority were happy with letting Conklin go 12 months ago, everyone recognised we needed more pass rush.

No one really beefed with letting Conklin go in order to chase pass rush in FA. Obviously it turned out very badly, and if he had his time again JRob would surely have either signed other pass rushers, or kept Conklin and drafted pass rush instead of Wilson. Probably the latter.

You could have the same conversation about every other team in the league over a 5-year period.

yeah...

Titans put a value on Conklin, like they always do, and made an economic decision to watch him leave. Its what the Titans do.

They are usually correct... but looks like possibly this time they might not have been

yeah...

Titans put a value on Conklin, like they always do, and made an economic decision to watch him leave. Its what the Titans do.

They are usually correct... but looks like possibly this time they might not have been

This 3rd round COMP has to be an absolute home run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back