Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't fault Julio for only playing 10 games. I think Titans had him on a pitch count. His job was to take us to the Superbowl. If the Titans keep winning without him, and sew up the #1 seed, no need to risk him in the regular season. We bring him in for the playoff game, and he performed like we expected him to. Not his fault that we didn't go further in the playoffs. I think this was a business decision, and I'm sure JRob understands he created a hole that needs to be filled. He'll either do it in FA or draft. I was surprised by the move, but I'm not panicked.

Dupree. Coming off ACL tear, could have easily been a waste. Just an example
The draft every year is a gamble.
Tons of other FA have worked out well.

The shame of the Julio situation is more the titans WR curse. Percentage wise around the league, The lack of WR success in Tennessee is just staggeringly low compared to just about every other team. Titans just have a team where WR can’t win.
Historically
AJ Brown
Delanie Walker as TE
Kendall Wright (sort of)
Nate Washington
Arguably Kenny Britt
Drew Bennett
Derrick Mason

That’s 20+ years of “success” at WR.

Corey Davis was good, though he wasn't worth his draft position. Rishard Matthews was pretty solid. Justin McCareins had 1 good season here. But that's it.

It isn't like we haven't spent early round picks on WR either. Since 2009 years, 6 picks in the top 2 rounds have been WR. We've "hit" on exactly one of those. Davis, Britt, and Wright were mildly successful, but were nothing special.

Part of the problem seems to be a franchise mentality that hasn't changed much since it came to TN. We have been obsessed with running the ball and playing defense. And to their credit, we've been pretty terrific at drafting early round RBs and building good defenses.

Dupree. Coming off ACL tear, could have easily been a waste. Just an example
The draft every year is a gamble.
Tons of other FA have worked out well.

The shame of the Julio situation is more the titans WR curse. Percentage wise around the league, The lack of WR success in Tennessee is just staggeringly low compared to just about every other team. Titans just have a team where WR can’t win.
Historically
AJ Brown
Delanie Walker as TE
Kendall Wright (sort of)
Nate Washington
Arguably Kenny Britt
Drew Bennett
Derrick Mason

That’s 20+ years of “success” at WR.

Yeah the franchise as a whole just has a dark cloud at WR. The ones who don’t bust and are good are rarely durable - Mason is probably the only one who stands out as a top guy and durable - unless I am remembering wrong. Regardless yah I wish they’d get over this WR abyss - we all do.

The way to fix the WR issue is to stop relying on over the hill WR's to plug into top WR roles. The Titans need to have a draft where they focus on WR a lot. I don't have confidence though in the Titans with this. Look at the Fitzpatrick move from last year's draft.

Yeah the franchise as a whole just has a dark cloud at WR. The ones who don’t bust and are good are rarely durable - Mason is probably the only one who stands out as a top guy and durable - unless I am remembering wrong. Regardless yah I wish they’d get over this WR abyss - we all do.
I don’t recall mason having any injury issues but it did take some patience on development. He wasn’t the mason we remember for his first 3-4 seasons in Tennessee although a good PR out the gate.

The way to fix the WR issue is to stop relying on over the hill WR's to plug into top WR roles. The Titans need to have a draft where they focus on WR a lot. I don't have confidence though in the Titans with this. Look at the Fitzpatrick move from last year's draft.
I think it’s more than that. The entire offensive focus has to change for the additional WR talent to really matter. Basically, get away from Henry/running game to focus (even force) a passing attack.

We had the culture we Floyd Reese and the first Titans core. We cap hell'ed our way out of it in combination with Bud's slow demise. The culture died on the vine as the franchise went stale in '03-18.

JRob is just a slightly above average GM. I don't mind he went all in on some FA gambles. You almost have to do that now unless you have elite draft pick skill and FA clairvoyance. I feel bad for JRob because playoff bed chitter Tannehill ruined what JRob had built as the all or none run. And now the franchise is in spin control to try and pretend the window hasn't shut.

We don't have draft picks, we don't have a QB, we don't have a TE. We're a wildcard team at best. We DO have a decent head coach although he is primarily a player's coach and not much of an administrator.
Now you're predicting the future.

We all thought the offense was going to be unstoppable last year because of the signings... Look what happened there. You can't predict what happens on the field for 16+ games by what happens in the off season.

I know fans want to sign every good FA but that's just not how it works. How many "dream teams" win the Superbowl, anyway?

I understand cutting Julio but the savings do not come until June. So maybe that goes towards A.J. Brown a new deal.

104.5 just read off the Titan wr under contract...... A.J. Brown Dez Fitzpatrick NWI and Racy McMath let that sink in!

Corey Davis was good, though he wasn't worth his draft position. Rishard Matthews was pretty solid. Justin McCareins had 1 good season here. But that's it.

It isn't like we haven't spent early round picks on WR either. Since 2009 years, 6 picks in the top 2 rounds have been WR. We've "hit" on exactly one of those. Davis, Britt, and Wright were mildly successful, but were nothing special.

Part of the problem seems to be a franchise mentality that hasn't changed much since it came to TN. We have been obsessed with running the ball and playing defense. And to their credit, we've been pretty terrific at drafting early round RBs and building good defenses.
Justin Gage
Drew Bennett
A couple of decent years but nothing consistent

Now you're predicting the future.

We all thought the offense was going to be unstoppable last year because of the signings... Look what happened there. You can't predict what happens on the field for 16+ games by what happens in the off season.

I know fans want to sign every good FA but that's just not how it works. How many "dream teams" win the Superbowl, anyway?
Huh? The only prediction in that statement was were a wildcard at best. That’s just an opinion. I didnt say anything about dream team. Actually said I understand why JRob went all in. And hobb n early didn’t disagree with the effort. PBS Tannehill was the problem with the last run. Now we’re going to be strapped with fewer draft picks and cutting vets for cap space.

I think it’s more than that. The entire offensive focus has to change for the additional WR talent to really matter. Basically, get away from Henry/running game to focus (even force) a passing attack.
You need a qb who can handle that load as well. We do not have that qb on this roster

Huh? The only prediction in that statement was were a wildcard at best. That’s just an opinion. I didnt say anything about dream team. Actually said I understand why JRob went all in. And hobb n early didn’t disagree with the effort. PBS Tannehill was the problem with the last run. Now we’re going to be strapped with fewer draft picks and cutting vets for cap space.
I think the “WC at best” comment gives too much credit to Indy/Jax/Houst who all don’t seem like even “WC at best” teams.

You need a qb who can handle that load as well. We do not have that qb on this roster
I don’t know that THill can’t be a 600 pass kind of guy but if the offense were to try, Henry is a waste and THill certainly won’t be as efficient as say a Brees.

He did his job. He made a trade for a great WR that he thought would better the team. So happens it was a gamble because that WR was coming off and injury year. The gamble didn't pay off because the injuries reoccurred.

Injuries or not, trading/signing players is always a gamble. We see it all the time in the NFL that a player joins a team with high expectations and it doesn't work out. It would be great if every signing worked out but it's probably more often than not that it doesn't. Every GM swings and
misses. It's just a part of the business/job.

Jrob has missed a lot. Can't deny that. But also can't deny that he's built a winning culture/team that the Titans didn't have before he came along.
while true its Robinsons job to make that evaluation & it is 100% fair to blame Robinson for making an incorrect evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back