Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m one of the ones that thinks Schwartz was the reason for Bowen’s success, but there is no way you could fire Bowen and well as the defense has played the last couple of seasons overall. At least have to give him a chance to prove it wasn’t just Schwartz. I’m not going to fire my DC just to keep a position coach because I THINK the position coach will be good.
That’s fair and I’m also not in on thinking Bowen needs fired.
I don’t know if coaches coach with a chip on their shoulder, but if people have doubts Bowen can be successful without Schwartz, I hope he makes an approach to prove people wrong.

Either way, I agree, you either think Harris is worth a DC position, some team did, or you don’t. not sure TN thinks he’s DC worthy, some of the fans here might.

That’s fair and I’m also not in on thinking Bowen needs fired.
I don’t know if coaches coach with a chip on their shoulder, but if people have doubts Bowen can be successful without Schwartz, I hope he makes an approach to prove people wrong.

Either way, I agree, you either think Harris is worth a DC position, some team did, or you don’t. not sure TN thinks he’s DC worthy, some of the fans here might.
They are basing that opinion on nothing else other than Washington having a good secondary the past couple years. Titans safeties have always played well since Vrabel arrived, so why no calls for Scott Booker as DC?

The best coordinator hires are coordinators that proved themselves to be great coordinators, and were hired as a head coach but failed. You get yourself a proven commodity that no other team is going to want to hire away.

The best coordinator hires are coordinators that proved themselves to be great coordinators, and were hired as a head coach but failed. You get yourself a proven commodity that no other team is going to want to hire away.
The downside with this theory is there are new names that get hired every year. Some successful, some not, it’s how they get their name out there for a HC position.

so Ive got no issue with utilizing a new person with no track record. Some of these old Coord also retire, not gonna be around forever and only a select few were former HC.

Where was Bowen ever a DC? Before here? When is front 4 is healthy he gets pass rush, when it is not do not see him blitzing to create it. We play excellent run D but bottom of league against the pass. Hope it changes but you cannot just hire your buddies as coaches

Agreed. Stuff like that is so fake. But genuineness is not something that people seem to want in the World these days. Everyone loves being dramatic. It’s also cringy how people just automatically assume someone is great when they have proven nothing, because the media praises them. Like some on here wanting to fire Bowen and make Harris the DC, when Harris has never even been a DC, but he automatically will be a great DC because the media says so. Kool-aid drinkers.
kool aid drinkers hahaha. I'm a sunny d kind of guy

Where was Bowen ever a DC? Before here? When is front 4 is healthy he gets pass rush, when it is not do not see him blitzing to create it. We play excellent run D but bottom of league against the pass. Hope it changes but you cannot just hire your buddies as coaches
What are you talking about? I said the best coordinator hires. Didn’t say anything about Bowen.

You must have missed the "hires" recently.
Typically a coaching staff is done by the HC.

I read the entire thread arguing that point but I can’t recall a time that a HC was fired/hired and the OC/DC didn’t go or come with the HC.

For any other reasons to believe Vrabel might be the guy in charge, I’ll need to see a bit more evidence.
FA and Draft is coming up. Those are real tells.

Typically a coaching staff is done by the HC.

I read the entire thread arguing that point but I can’t recall a time that a HC was fired/hired and the OC/DC didn’t go or come with the HC.

For any other reasons to believe Vrabel might be the guy in charge, I’ll need to see a bit more evidence.
FA and Draft is coming up. Those are real tells.
fwiw, one example - When John Fox was head coach of the Bears Vic Fangio was DC. Fox got fired for Nagy and Fangio remained as DC for Nagy. One of the few things Nagy did right was keeping Fangio.

And when Carthon had his intial presser, he almost made it sound like he was hired to get Vrable what he wanted/needed. Carthon didn't give me the impression he had his own view of how he wanted the Titans team to look in the future. Maybe that's what Amy wanted in her GM; somebody to get Vrabel what he wants.

Last edited by a moderator:
fwiw, one example - When John Fox was head coach of the Bears Vic Fangio was DC. Fox got fired for Nagy and Fangio remained as DC for Nagy. One of the few things Nagy did right was keeping Fangio.

And when Carthon had his intial presser, he almost made it sound like he was hired to get Vrabel what he wanted/needed. Carthon didn't give me the impression he had his own view of how he wanted the Titans team to look in the future. Maybe that's what Amy wanted in her GM; somebody to get Vrabel what he wants.
Trouble with that is...what Vrabel wants is trash mediocre buddies

And when Carthon had his intial presser, he almost made it sound like he was hired to get Vrabel what he wanted/needed. Carthon didn't give me the impression he had his own view of how he wanted the Titans team to look in the future. Maybe that's what Amy wanted in her GM; somebody to get Vrabel what he wants.
Cheers for the example of HC switch and Coord example.

To a certain extent, that is what a GM is supposed to do, the only disparity between the 2 is when potential talent is affordable or drafted that doesn’t fit in what the HC is trying to do.
I think that is more of a “talent to good to pass up” or it’s just a miss in alignment of the 2.

Trouble with that is...what Vrabel wants is trash mediocre buddies
We need someone in a position of power that can say... We have to make changes to our offense if we want any chance of winning a SB. It sucks to be so close to a good team but stupid hires destroying any chance. Someone has to tell Vrabel to modernize his offense or get fired, period. Clearly that didnt happen under the new GM.

And I know there are a lot of people who blame JRob, but I maintain that is BS. Our coaching did not develop players. That was the problem, lack of development in key positions. JRob could have brought in consistent pro-bowlers for the 0-line and Carter would have destroyed them. He could have brought in the best receivers in the league and they would be running 3 yard routes on a 3rd and 10. I dont care who the players are, when your coaching staff is not doing their jobs, it makes the players look bad.

We need someone in a position of power that can say... We have to make changes to our offense if we want any chance of winning a SB. It sucks to be so close to a good team but stupid hires destroying any chance. Someone has to tell Vrabel to modernize his offense or get fired, period. Clearly that didnt happen under the new GM.

And I know there are a lot of people who blame JRob, but I maintain that is BS. Our coaching did not develop players. That was the problem, lack of development in key positions. JRob could have brought in consistent pro-bowlers for the 0-line and Carter would have destroyed them. He could have brought in the best receivers in the league and they would be running 3 yard routes on a 3rd and 10. I dont care who the players are, when your coaching staff is not doing their jobs, it makes the players look bad.
I agree with you...I'm tired of seeing the promoting within...the latest hiring of the OL coach is an example...our OL was trash, partly due to players, the staff. So we hire the understudy? The assistant?
It comes across as cheap

I would have offered Jeff Saturday the OL job...he obviously wants to be a HC...tell Vrabel, right this ship or he's your replacement lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back