Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tanny stunk, but it's still on the OC to put the QB in a position to succeed. Foreman was tearing up the Bengals D, what does Todd do? Puts the ball in a struggling QB's hands for zero reason.

Our offense went from elite, to well below average when Downing took over. He also abused henry until he broke his foot, then continued to run him for the rest of the game.

When henry went down, what did Downing do? Pivoted to a more balanced offense focusing on one of the best young wr in the game and our newly acquired expensive weapon? Nah just plug in Foreman and continue to be the most run heavy team in the NFL.

Everything Downing has done has been poor.
No argument from me that Downing sucks on many levels. But to say Tanny’s play vs. the Bengals was due to Downing is simply wrong.

I blame Tanny or poor WR routes for every INT in that game and I believe the film backs it up.

You can't hate Downing without hating Vrabel. He hears every play called. He hired the guy. He continues to keep the guy.

However, he hired Kelly as passing game coordinator -- which translated, means "you keep fn up, Todd and this guy becomes OC"

So yes, Vrabel hired him --- but Vrabel also has shown the ability to see the writing on the wall with bringing in Jim Schwartz last year for the same coordinator issues, just on the defensive side of the ball.

However, he hired Kelly as passing game coordinator -- which translated, means "you keep fn up, Todd and this guy becomes OC"

So yes, Vrabel hired him --- but Vrabel also has shown the ability to see the writing on the wall with bringing in Jim Schwartz last year for the same coordinator issues, just on the defensive side of the ball.
At what cost? How many games do the Titans need to lose for Vrabel to understand that Downing isn’t a competent OC and his own offensive philosophy is outdated?

I think Vrabel is too arrogant to admit it regardless of who the OC is and adding Kelly, without changing approach, solves nothing.

He was terrible with the Raiders too so don’t even try to blame Vrabel. Their fans despise him. The offense was fine under Art and Vrabel was the head coach.

Both Downing and Vrabel are to blame. We lose to bad teams because we play to not lose and have a very predictable run on first down offense. Here's what Mike Keith had to say about the Giants loss and the predictability of the offense:

"You’re gonna play that game a little differently too because you are against an opponent that is probably not going to score 40 points. Are you gonna utilize personnel differently against Buffalo? Probably so because they can score 40 points. That bunch yesterday averaged 15 points a game last year and it took all they had to get to 21. I’m not knocking them, I’m just saying you are just trying to win the football game is what you are trying to do in those situations.”

We have always lost games to bad teams under Vrabel. The Dolphins and Buffalo in 2018, the Jags, Broncos, and Panthers in 2019, the Bengals in 2020, and the Jets and Texans last year. 19 of Henry's 21 runs vs the Giants came on 1st down. Unless Vrabel ditches the old school mentality it's not going to stop happening regardless of who the OC is.

What is frustrating is that everyone knows the problems, even national media. It's very possible that Vrabel keeps Downing throughout the season to not cause a stir, but he actually has Kelly do all of the work. Downing would just be there in person only.

At what cost? How many games do the Titans need to lose for Vrabel to understand that Downing isn’t a competent OC and his own offensive philosophy is outdated?

I think Vrabel is too arrogant to admit it regardless of who the OC is and adding Kelly, without changing approach, solves nothing.

Probably the same amount it took to bench marcus. 6 weeks. Lassoing a 2-4 record.

No argument from me that Downing sucks on many levels. But to say Tanny’s play vs. the Bengals was due to Downing is simply wrong.

I blame Tanny or poor WR routes for every INT in that game and I believe the film backs it up.
I am a Tannehill fan. Last season he played a lot of bad football. He was off all season long. His decision making was off and his accuracy was off.

I have to disagree.... the play design of the opening play was a horrible. We had double TEs on the left on the line of scrimmage and 2 WRs on the right...so it looks like a power run to the left, but instead we go play action to Henry running off of right guard... so their is absolutely nobody for the safety to worry about on the left side of the field... so he easily undercuts the WR and gets his easy INT..... horrible play design

I have to disagree.... the play design of the opening play was a horrible. We had double TEs on the left on the line of scrimmage and 2 WRs on the right...so it looks like a power run to the left, but instead we go play action to Henry running off of right guard... so their is absolutely nobody for the safety to worry about on the left side of the field... so he easily undercuts the WR and gets his easy INT..... horrible play design
Watch the play. Jones was wide open when the ball was supposed to be on him. Tanny throws it as designed, it’s a huge gain.

I am a Tannehill fan. Last season he played a lot of bad football. He was off all season long. His decision making was off and his accuracy was off.
New coordinator with a crap system perhaps? Most of the time no one is open for him to throw to. Kinda like Derek Carr when Downing was his coordinator.

New coordinator with a crap system perhaps? Most of the time no one is open for him to throw to. Kinda like Derek Carr when Downing was his coordinator.

That may have played a role, but when Tannehill took over for Mariota he was getting rid of the ball fast and hitting the receivers in stride. Last season his balls were generally a step behind. Tannehill was off last season however you want to see it.

Watch the play. Jones was wide open when the ball was supposed to be on him. Tanny throws it as designed, it’s a huge gain.]

I've watched it multiple times…the ball is on Jones right when he turns around….you can see the safety is breaking towards Jones before the ball has left Tannys hand because their is no one on the back side threatening him deep….he isn’t worried about Swain or Firkser…..horrible play design

One thing is for sure- the Titans have some talent, but history has shown us over and over again that the scheme has to match the talent. Arthur Smith was great at that once Tannehill took over. Look back to when the Titans brought in Dinger. It completely opened up McNair's abilities. Equally, a team doesn't perform as well as they did under Arthur Smith over two years to become that mediocre on offense without the OC owning a big share of that. If not for the defense, the Titans don't get close last year to sniffing 12-5. All that to say I sure hope Downing has a few tricks up his sleeve, or this is going to be a long, frustrating year.

seems like a lot of revisionist history going on with Art. When he was here we all complained about how terrible his offense was. Now it is like he was some kind of offensive genius.

seems like a lot of revisionist history going on with Art. When he was here we all complained about how terrible his offense was. Now it is like he was some kind of offensive genius.
True, but nobody was excited about his replacement. Downing hasn't been popular since he was promoted to OC, and with good reason.

We had the #4 scoring offense in the NFL before art left.

Last year with Downing? #15.

So far this year we are #27.

Maybe not a genius, but comparatively he certainly is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back