Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not surprised at all. Just don’t see him as a Titan long term. Don’t get me wrong, I want him to be one. But I just don’t think he is in the teams long term plans.

Not surprised at all. Just don’t see him as a Titan long term. Don’t get me wrong, I want him to be one. But I just don’t think he is in the teams long term plans.

Henry embodies what this team wants to be about. We keep hiring coaches that want to be physical, Henry is as physical as they get. And Vrabel is always talking about Henry as a leader.

Henry embodies what this team wants to be about. We keep hiring coaches that want to be physical, Henry is as physical as they get. And Vrabel is always talking about Henry as a leader.

Yeah, we have gone through this before. Hope you are right, think you will be wrong.

Remind me, are your opinions based on RB history on other teams?

If you by that you mean how the league now values RBs, yes. And I think this team is going emulate the Patriots in many ways when it comes to team building. And that way does not involve paying RBs big money. It also doesn’t involve committing to one style, but being flexible to adapt to a lot of different styles.

If you by that you mean how the league now values RBs, yes. And I think this team is going emulate the Patriots in many ways when it comes to team building. And that way does not involve paying RBs big money. It also doesn’t involve committing to one style, but being flexible to adapt to a lot of different styles.
Look at the players on offense, theres a theme.

JR likes big physical bodies. Everyone in this offense fits a certian style of play. Corey Davis 5th overall pick, big ass WR.
AJ Brown an even bigger more physical player. Jonnu Smith was traded up to get and hes an animal. Isaiah Wilson is 350lbs.

And Derrick Henry, a man among boys at RB.

JR values RBs more than most, we are at the top of the list as far as running the ball goes.

Henry deserves a long term deal but I understand the concern about RBs and huge contracts...but he's only 26 and a beast, he personifies exactly what the Titans want to be...sign the man

If we lose Henry next year because we're waiting on Clowney now I'll be pissed

Henry deserves a long term deal but I understand the concern about RBs and huge contracts...but he's only 26 and a beast, he personifies exactly what the Titans want to be...sign the man

If we lose Henry next year because we're waiting on Clowney now I'll be pissed
I doubt Henry getting a deal has anything to do with Clowney. Henry is already counting over $10M against the cap this season with him being on the tag. Signing him to a 3 year deal would likely reduce his cap number for this season.

My guess is they're just apart on length of the deal. I'm betting he wants something like 4-5 years, and the team only wants 2-3.

I doubt Henry getting a deal has anything to do with Clowney. Henry is already counting over $10M against the cap this season with him being on the tag. Signing him to a 3 year deal would likely reduce his cap number for this season.

My guess is they're just apart on length of the deal. I'm betting he wants something like 4-5 years, and the team only wants 2-3.
Not a cap expert by any means...But if Clowney wants a one year deal at 14-15 million, with just over 19 what does mean for Henry?

Not a cap expert by any means...But if Clowney wants a one year deal at 14-15 million, with just over 19 what does mean for Henry?
Henry has already signed his franchise tender and is taken into account for our current cap number. If he were to sign a deal before the deadline today, it's very likely that his cap number would go down, not up. Most deals have the cap numbers more backloaded than front.

For example, if he signed a 3 year, $30M deal, he would be making $10M on average per year. But that doesn't mean he'd count $10M against the cap this year. Let's say he has a $10M signing bonus, and $4M roster bonuses in 2021 and 2022. He would be paid the $10M Signing bonus immediately (so his cash would hit the bank the next day) but this total would prorate over the life of the contract. His roster bonus would be paid each year and count towards that years cap (for this example at least). That leaves $12M of his salary as base salary to be divided however he and the team want to structure it.

So the cap numbers would look something like this:

2020: $3.3M signing bonus + 3M Salary = $6.3M cap hit
2021: $3.3M signing bonus + $4M roster bonus + $4M salary = $11.3M cap
2022: $3.4M signing bonus + $4M roster bonus +$5M salary = 12.4M cap

This is an extremely simplistic example, and I might be slightly off on how the roster bonuses hit against the cap, but the short of it is, there's lots of ways to play around with cap numbers.

I'd give him 4 years 35-40 mil. Even if he declines drastically year 3-4 we still have a bulldozer on 3rd and short and a top end back up. Also with a bit of luck Evan's turns out to be a baller and can share the load with Derrick.

Henry has already signed his franchise tender and is taken into account for our current cap number. If he were to sign a deal before the deadline today, it's very likely that his cap number would go down, not up. Most deals have the cap numbers more backloaded than front.

For example, if he signed a 3 year, $30M deal, he would be making $10M on average per year. But that doesn't mean he'd count $10M against the cap this year. Let's say he has a $10M signing bonus, and $4M roster bonuses in 2021 and 2022. He would be paid the $10M Signing bonus immediately (so his cash would hit the bank the next day) but this total would prorate over the life of the contract. His roster bonus would be paid each year and count towards that years cap (for this example at least). That leaves $12M of his salary as base salary to be divided however he and the team want to structure it.

So the cap numbers would look something like this:

2020: $3.3M signing bonus + 3M Salary = $6.3M cap hit
2021: $3.3M signing bonus + $4M roster bonus + $4M salary = $11.3M cap
2022: $3.4M signing bonus + $4M roster bonus +$5M salary = 12.4M cap

This is an extremely simplistic example, and I might be slightly off on how the roster bonuses hit against the cap, but the short of it is, there's lots of ways to play around with cap numbers.
Thanks for the explanation...I'm hoping we sign him to a 3 yr deal..but I think you're right he may want a 4-5 yr one

Add Kareem Hunt, James Connor, and Chris Carson to that list too,

I expect Kamara, Cook, and Mixon to get deals, but there's definitely going to be some talent available that will drive the market down for RB's.
Just posted on Pro Football Talk that Titans and Henry are close to working out a long term deal today.

Signing Henry long term is not a typical JRob move. I wouldn’t get my hopes up.
How is it not? JRob has handed out big contracts like it's Halloween. He shouldn't be the highest paid RB, like we did with S and LT, but I'm all about keeping. Clearly, so is JRob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back