Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
MadAboutMcNair said:
Chris Brown had over 1500 yards in a season? In 2004? Did he return kicks? Return an interception? Was that with his passing stats figured in?
1500 yard seasons get you to the probowl. I wish Chris Brown could get 1500 yards in a season. This next season. But I don't believe it.

No, I said Brown was good enough to get 1500 yards in 2004. In other words he was talented enough but the only issue with him was the injuries (not that injuries are not a real concern). In fact I have no doubt whatsoever Brown would have had a 1500 yard year if he could have stayed healthy. He missed 4 games outright and parts of others.

I also agree with Tide that Henry didn't exactly show he was Mr. reliable even when he wasn't on drug suspension and had we made a run toward the playoffs we would have really been upset at his propensity to get injured.

MadAboutMcNair, do you have any suggestions on how we can improve our running game? Do you think Henry is the answer?

I like Jamal Lewis, actually he could come at a very good price. Not only do we want him, but he may like coming back to Tennessee. Now I know that most Tennessee Alums bring-backs have been busts, but Lewis is 27, and has alot in the tank. Remember the Ravens offense was 10x's worse than ours, Brown would have to go up against 7,8,9, maybe even 10 man fronts, cause teams knew that he was their only threat. Now the Ravens are pushing for Chester Taylor, actually I believe that they will choose him over Lewis. I think Jamal could be very affordable, Im talking about $12 million a year, with a decent bonus and incentives. I wouldn't mind that, then trade Brown, cut or trade Henry, draft RB Maurice Drew out of UCLA, and sign a good OL-Bently, Hutchinson? (pipe dream)- then KAZAM we have a strong running game.

$12M for lewis?

That is a bargain? And that fiqure doesn't even count all the compensation you want to give that guy? I can't disagreee more and since when is $12M cheap for any RB?

Even with lewis i would want to hold onto brown because he would be a great #2 guy for little money. In that situation they would simply let henry go.

A 3 year deal for lewis worth no more than $15M total would be all i would offer.

I want to fix the offensive line. My argument is they were not as good as we thought win eddie was here, and they were not very good last year.
Henry has proven himself in this league, at buffalo. Last year shocked me. And it must have shocked a lot of others, a year ago most thought a 3rd rd pick for him was a good move. Now? I'm unsure to say the least.

For this year, let's trade down about 1-2 places in the first and draft Ferguson. We can release olsen and hopkins. I'd like to resign hartwig, but not if it breaks the bank. That would give us something like LT ferguson, LG pillar, C plan a mohawk boy \ plan b amano, RG Bell, and RT Roos. It makes the line younger and less experienced but I think they would be an improvement. I would love to see them play together like that for a couple of years to improve continuity. Surely with that talent coach Munchak can turn out a monster line.

Next I would try to get a back in the second rd. There are a lot of good backs this year. We could get a steal in the second rd. Kinda like the chargers got Brees a few years ago. This is all my perfect scenario. I don't think the backs we have are that bad, I just wouldn't invest in them over the long haul. I would love a new franchise running back. A guy like Steven Jackson without the 'tude. And that might be unfare to jackson, I don't know much about him, It's just my impression that he has a bad 'tude.

Yes I do. MadAboutMcNair is advocating taking Ferguson in the 1st round and a RB in the second. I would have less of a problem with that scenario if there was going to be a Lendale White quality back when we pick in the 2nd round but after the first 4 RBs the talent level really drops off this year.
Reaching for a guy like Addai would be suicide for this organization with our needs at LB and S especially when we still don't have a 3rd round pick.

Looking at the RBs available this year I don't see anyone even remotely close to a Jamal Lewis, Eddie George that would be available past the first round. Most of the RBs this year look small. A guy like Gerald Riggs might be an option in the 4th round or later.

It's not draft day yet. It's not out of the question that one of the backs slide into the second round. I'm not really advocating doing that with the options that are on the FA market this year though. If not Lewis, I think Duckett would be a nice choice.

Mad's scenario...

Here's what would solve our O-line problem if the cards fell that way. Trade down and draft ferguson in rd one and then see if we can get giles in rd 2. He might not be there the way he played in the senior bowl though. Big physical lineman seem to come off faster than we think. Back in 2003 we talked about foster out of Ga as a possible second rd pick and he was off the board before our first rd pick.
But let's say we can do that. Assuming that olson and his fat paycheck is gone, we resign hartwig and sign that FA center from the saints bentley. Remember that hartwig is probably a better guard than center and is a nice guy to have around because he can play center and even right tackle in a pinch. That would give us three young studs on the o-line with two fairly young veterans.

Looking at that scenario we would maybe have 2 3rd rd picks. One from the trade down and one from a volek trade. It's there we could draft a linebacker and maybe a QB.

Look the 2 most pressing needs in this draft is a QB of the future and linebacker. We can get by at safety with fuller coming back, randall maybe playing a role and we can either keep williams or get a free agent like archletta. The most likely scenario is for us to draft young or lienart and then a linebacker in rd 2. Most likely we won't be able to draft high at o-lineman or RB. Maybe we can get lucky in rd 4.

It is rare that this organization gets a chance to draft this high. It's rare that we can get a franchise QB. We have to take that chance. While there is a 50% chance that who we draft will go bust there is also a 50% chance we could be drafting the next mcnair or mcnabb(young) or another manning or brady(lienart). We almost have to take that opportunity. We could be getting a player who will be a star for the next 12 years!

Soxcat said:
Reaching for a guy like Addai would be suicide for this organization with our needs at LB and S especially when we still don't have a 3rd round pick.
This I can not agree with this more. If LB or S is not addressed with this #2 pick we are asking to be a door mat again. It is true that the run game sucks but even though I think that the Redskins made a good move in FA with Portis I don't think that an :suspect:"upgrade":suspect: at RB should be a priority at all this year. I know I have made statements in the past week expressing dissatisfaction with Brown and those still hold true. I am not calling for his head though. Henry has also fallen way short and if there was a way to skirt away from him without collateral damage, I'd be for it, even though I'm on the fence when it comes to dealing criticism in regards to him.

In my opinions I often fail to weigh in finacial concerns and that flaws arguments that I make at times. If we are talking about spending money (which I admit I am not good at), I'd rather see cap room be spent at safety or LB. I'd also spend that 2nd pick there as well. I'd rather have a big name impact FA safety and a 2nd spent on a MLB type if Volek is dealt for a third...

I really bought into the "two-headed" monster concept initially...
I think we could leave it alone...besides, it's my impression that with Henry's issues that gives us leverage in negotiations.

I'd rather have that third pick spent at OL. Someone good to compliment Roos. If Vince Young is not drafted by us (In other words if Leinart falls to us) I wouldn't mind if McNair went on his way and go ahead and start Volek.. (or take way less money and spend that money at other key areas.) That all but guarentees a top pick next year, (keeping/starting Volek) I'll concede because Volek would suck, but on the upside I'm sure there is another great back coming up in the NCAA somewhere.

The bottom line is there is always a tendancy to rate these guys who have never played a game in the NFL as being better than what we already have. That is the situation at RB. IMO, if we don't spend an early to mid 1st round pick on a RB we will not have a better situation. It is possible a guy like Laurence Maroney sneaks into the 2nd round and he could be considered however I don't see any of the guys available after the first round really being an improvement over Brown or Henry. Thats not to say a sleeper might not manifest as a 1000+ yard back similar to D. Davis did for the Texans but as far as getting a big, strong, durable back who can carry the load I don't see any this year. Compared to last year this draft is weak. I do see opportunities to upgrade the roster at OL, LB and S. First, we are terrible at LB and S and almmost any decent player is an upgrade. Secondly, as I have been arguing all along we are not as weak at RB as people keep saying we are. Heck, If Chris Brown was coming out of college this year he would easily a 2nd round pick. For the OL/RB scenario to work we would need to pick the RB first (after trading down) and then hope one of the solid OT-OGs is available in the second.
For the most part I just hope we stick to taking the best player available this year, whoever those picks might be (OL,S,LB,RB) and when the draft is over determine where we need to find FAs. Let's not draft any more duds.

What good backs are going to be available in the 2nd round?

Joseph Addai from LSU. He's a complete RB who can run with power between the tackles, speed to the outside, catch the ball out of the backfield and is an accomplished pass blocker.

With all the needs the Titans have, I don't see them drafting a RB unless they were ready to dump Henry and had a complete lack of faith in Nash even as a #2.

TM said:
Joseph Addai from LSU. He's a complete RB who can run with power between the tackles, speed to the outside, catch the ball out of the backfield and is an accomplished pass blocker.

Addai would be a reach IMO where we pick in the second round and would not be an upgrade. He is only 5'11, 210 pound and although he might make a decent pro back he has not proven he can carry the load. Addai would not be an improvment in short yardage either. If we had a 3rd round pick he could be a decent value there. I would rather get a guy like Bobby Carpenter or Thomas Howard at LB or Max Jean Giles or one of the OTs based on what I've read so far.

TM said:
In the USA Today team reports a few weeks ago there was mention that the Titans wanted to take a RB on the first day.
Oscar_Meyer_Balogna.jpg

When I saw Addai in the Peach Bowl against Miami he had a very good day (130 yds. & caught a TD pass) and ran hard between the tackles. As to his draft spot, we might be able to get him after a trade down, but the Cards, Ravens and Eagles all pick shortly after the Titans and any/all of them could be in market for a RB.

TM said:
Brown played in 15 of 16 games. Though he didn't finish them all, the team felt he answered some durability questions. But he did not run nearly as well as he did in 2004 in his first year as the starter and now qualifies as a question mark. Henry served a four-game drug suspension and has some ankle problems. He looked slow at year's end. He's due a $4 million option bonus, but has little leverage and could be back at a reduced cost. Payton is limited and Nash looked good in his one chance, but odds are the Titans draft a back on the first day if they can. Fleming did OK, but didn't blossom in Norm Chow's system as expected.
This is a case to draft a running back I suppose, but I feel that they have greater first day needs than running back. I believe the only possible running back the Titans could draft 1st day would be Reggie Bush and the odds of that happening are about as good as them drafting Gunny. I'm not saying that you are Balogna...I never doubted the paper reported that...but I just don't believe USAToday in this instance.
Maybe you should ask Mr. Analyst...
Mr.%20Owl.gif
Now if the notion was passed that they would trade out of #3 for an extra first...I can see it...but I don't think that is going to happen. Reese is not going to trade out and he has no third pick and he isn't stupid enough to blow the precious second pick on a running back. Besides, I think he's looking for the real deal next year... Are you thinking DeAngelo or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back