Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
So like I said he has not helped himself this year at all. He was averaging an int a game before Henry went out. Bottom line he wasn’t playing that great before his supporting cast went out and now it’s worse with the cast now around him.
Ok, then I guess we should consider the previous 2 years as somewhat of the capabilities.

I think we’ve seen a whole bunch of different issues play into his decline. Yes, he himself is not playing great, add that with OL issues (exacerbates his decline), add that with no name WR (exacerbates his decline more), add the offensive scheme of eliminating the TE usage (or TE decline big time) either exacerbate his decline.

All said, he outplayed his abilities the last 2 years and now that his numbers are averaging out, it’s been heightened by the additional short comings of the entire offenses problems.

Great players elevate those that are around them. Tannehill doesn’t even utilize his top weapons when they are out there. He’d rather throw to Swaim and NWI over AJB & Julio.
Probably easier to throw to them when they’re on the field and healthy. Jones is a bust (still) and I’m not sure when brown got hurt as far as still playing but IR time will definitely cut down on the targets.

He didn’t seem to have issue hitting Brown the last couple years. What changed? Maybe that conversation isn’t just a THill problem.

Vrable should just go around to each of the players while they’re stretching and give them each a swift kick. I hear that goes over well.
Probably just Fat Randy and Kern need to watch for that. I’m sure Meyer kicked Lambo because he’s the 1 guy on the team that might be smaller than him.

You are not wrong! Is he dink and dunk because he lost confidence or is that the game plan by our O.C. When Julio was out there he was still going TE and random WR short of the chains. Golden Tate has to be better than what we have out there right?

Why can we run block pretty well but be so bad at pass blocking? And with mobile qb and oline issues we have, why would you not move the pocket and run more boot legs and let Tanney get outside the numbers with RPO?

Im sure it’s a combination of things. Teams are defending the deep ball, playing more 2 deep safeties, OC scheming up pass plays to help the pass rush, etc.

Probably easier to throw to them when they’re on the field and healthy. Jones is a bust (still) and I’m not sure when brown got hurt as far as still playing but IR time will definitely cut down on the targets.

He didn’t seem to have issue hitting Brown the last couple years. What changed? Maybe that conversation isn’t just a THill problem.

No one has said it’s JUST a Tannehill problem. But he is absolutely 100% apart of the problem. But it’s time we stop babying him.

No one has said it’s JUST a Tannehill problem. But he is absolutely 100% apart of the problem. But it’s time we stop babying him.
Plenty have said he’s THE problem. That’s where conversations like benching him for Woodside come from.

I agree he’s part of the problem but the best cure for the team and THill specifically, is get the team back in good health. Glad to see Brown is a possibility Thursday. Just waiting for that news in regards to Henry and which game he’ll be ready for. I think we’ll see improvement from THill the first game Henry is back.

I have no doubts Tanny will rebound and continue to be an excellent QB for us. Right now he has absolutely no faith in ANY of our receivers and for good reason. They have been truly awful.

There is NO reason Downing shouldn’t have just pulled a Belicheat in that Steelers game and run it EVERY SINGLE DOWN. We were averaging 5+ yards per carry! We ran it the entire first half and marched it down the field controlling the clock the whole time. So what adjustments does Downing make at halftime?! He decides to pass it 75% of the time in the 2nd half and the Titans don’t do squat.

I have no doubts Tanny will rebound and continue to be an excellent QB for us. Right now he has absolutely no faith in ANY of our receivers and for good reason. They have been truly awful.

There is NO reason Downing shouldn’t have just pulled a Belicheat in that Steelers game and run it EVERY SINGLE DOWN. We were averaging 5+ yards per carry! We ran it the entire first half and marched it down the field controlling the clock the whole time. So what adjustments does Downing make at halftime?! He decides to pass it 75% of the time in the 2nd half and the Titans don’t do squat.
Would of been better than what we ended up doing. Watching that loss was just a kick in the balls man. Glad I didn't break something, but I'm all grown up now

This was so on point. I don't remember when it was but there was a series we were running it down their throat and we get inside the 20 and suddenly he goes pass crazy...we had the chance to step on their throat and instead Downing is the one choking.

I don't like him...I have no faith he is the answer at OC and I won't until a major change in this offense happens. There is a big coaching gap somewhere with the way our WRs play.

This was so on point. I don't remember when it was but there was a series we were running it down their throat and we get inside the 20 and suddenly he goes pass crazy...we had the chance to step on their throat and instead Downing is the one choking.

I don't like him...I have no faith he is the answer at OC and I won't until a major change in this offense happens. There is a big coaching gap somewhere with the way our WRs play.
not gonna try lying.

Earlier this year I defended downing because of the PPG the titans were scoring. His inability to adjust, utilize the talents available, slim as they might be, and read how a game is rolling, I’ve lost faith.

Hopefully with Henry and Brown back, he can pick up where he left off when the roster was still loaded, but I have my doubts.

It’s never just one person. It’s a multitude of things. But I simply do not understand how people can point to all of these reasons Tannehill isn’t successful and in the same breathe turn around and say Todd Downing is a bad coach. Wouldn’t those same reasons prevent Downing from being a successful OC?

Since Henry went down they have all sucked but how can you expect an OC to be successful with “no weapons and a bad OL”?

It’s never just one person. It’s a multitude of things. But I simply do not understand how people can point to all of these reasons Tannehill isn’t successful and in the same breathe turn around and say Todd Downing is a bad coach. Wouldn’t those same reasons prevent Downing from being a successful OC?

Since Henry went down they have all sucked but how can you expect an OC to be successful with “no weapons and a bad OL”?

And that's it right there. If you use the excuse that Tannehill can't be talked about because of "weapons and a bad OL," than the exact same thing can be said for Downing.

And all these stats being pulled out.... where is the one that shows overthrows by Tannehill. Since the beginning of the year, his accuracy has been off. Throwing a bit high, throwing a bit behind. It's just not as spot on as it had been the past two years,

Titan Jeff had it exactly right...it is the turnovers that are crushing this team.

Only 3 teams in the league average fewer punts per game than the Titans.....Chiefs, Chargers, and Rams.....we are tied with NE, Packers, and Cards

That list includes pretty much the top offenses in the league.

Even with the backups that we have been playing the offense has still been moving the ball. Got to give Downing and Tanny credit for that.

We are going to get guys healthy and the offense is going to round into shape....the defense has been playing stellar the last few games....really flying to the ball...we will see the turnovers start coming.

The passing offense this year has been abysmal, so I wanted to see if there was anything statistically that could be used to understand what's happening. Here's some advanced passing stats to put things in perspective on Tannehill and the rest of the league (Per Pro-Football Reference):

Bad Throw%: 17th best
On Target%: 6th best
Pressure Rate: 17th best
Pocket Time: T-14th best
Intended Air Yards: T-25th best
Completed Air Yards/Attempt: T-20th best

So what this all tells me is that Tannehill is around the middle of the league in terms of getting pressured and time in the pocket, he's making some bad decisions at times, but also top tier in terms of his accuracy. This goes counter to the argument everyone wants to make that he has absolutely no time to throw. The OL has protected him better as of late, and he's middle of the league in terms of protection. It's not a complete turnstile.

The most damning thing to me is those last two categories about air yards. Those are the distances that the ball is intended to travel on a per throw basis. This is saying that our offense is not throwing the ball down the field at all, and we're not even trying. Now is that Downing being a crap play caller/coordinator, or Tannehill just having to dump it off more? I don't know. Probably some combination of both. Obviously not having AJB and half the WR corp out for half the season can't help, but that's not the only thing that is at play.

Another stat that has tanked in comparison to recent years is our play action%. In his time as a starter in 2019 and 2020 we ran play action on 29 and 32 percent of our passing plays respectively. In 2021 we're down to 23%. We also have our lowest yards/play action pass of any year as well, down from 14.8 in 2019 and 9.8 in 2020 to 8.6 this year. Losing Henry hurts, sure, but we had him for 8 games and run game has still been effective, yet we're still not running nearly as much play action and not putting the ball down the field when we do.

All of this says to me that part of the blame has to lie on the offensive scheme and play calling. It's not the only reason for the offensive woe's we're having, but it certainly deserves some share of the blame.

^ it is things like that, that makes me see how stats are only a small piece of the entire puzzle.

The OL is horrible and definitely doesnt give Tannehill the time he needs.

I dont care who the receivers are, Tannehill is constantly throwing high and behind them, almost every throw.

And that's it right there. If you use the excuse that Tannehill can't be talked about because of "weapons and a bad OL," than the exact same thing can be said for Downing.

And all these stats being pulled out.... where is the one that shows overthrows by Tannehill. Since the beginning of the year, his accuracy has been off. Throwing a bit high, throwing a bit behind. It's just not as spot on as it had been the past two years,
An OC should be making a game plan that best utilizes what the team has. Running the ball seems to work, then he just puts a bunch of passes together at inexplicable times.

THill just has to run the plan with the tools he has. Between the 2, the OC is supposed to adjust the plan but the QB is expected to execute the plan.

by that, downing does deserve the criticism more so than THill although execution could be more on the QB.

the real overall problem is that both are working well enough to win with the exception of execution holding on to the ball which is all over the field.
3 RB fumbles against NE
THill has thrown INTs in all 3 losses
2 WR fumbled against Pit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back