Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

It would be the icing on the cake to spend all those picks on LT's over the past few years and none of them play LT. Then draft a RT to actually play LT.

If we go WR with the 1st pick, I hope we go Suamataia with our 2nd pick. I love his play style. And he's one of the most athletic Tackles in the draft.

Will be very interesting to me to see if we add a guy who has experience playing LT in FA... could then certainly see WR in the 1st and a OT in the 2nd that actually plays RT for 1-2 yrs and then switches to LT... similar to Roos/Lewan

Just some info I compiled…
From 2012 to 2021, 14 offensive tackles were selected in the top ten in their respective draft classes. Of those 14, only 3 could be considered above average Left tackles in the league. Those three are Ronnie Stanley, Andrew Thomas, and Jake Matthews. I’m not sure picking a tackle at #7 ensures we actually chose a good left tackle. Data shows that you’re just as successful waiting until the second round to find a good left tackle.

(I chose a ten year window that doesn’t include the last two drafts because 2 years in the league isn’t long enough to declare someone a success or failure.)

From 2012 to 2021, 14 offensive tackles were selected in the top ten in their respective draft classes. Of those 14, only 3 could be considered above average Left tackles in the league. Those three are Ronnie Stanley, Andrew Thomas, and Jake Matthews. I’m not sure picking a tackle at #7 ensures we actually chose a good left tackle. Data shows that you’re just as successful waiting until the second round to find a good left tackle.

(I chose a ten year window that doesn’t include the last two drafts because 2 years in the league isn’t long enough to declare someone a success or failure.)
Somebody posted a bunch of pages back all the measurables of Alt and Fashunu.
Alt was like #8 of the 200 T ever graded and Fashunu was like #16.

I’m sure whatever the grading criteria, it has significant indications that those 2 guys are better than the average.

I also made a super long post about the drafts covering the past 20 years. There is a pattern of bad drafts where position is almost irrelevant, the top 10 picks or so just didn’t succeed.
Of the successful positions, T is one of the higher hit rates across the entire first round.

There are no guarantees, but Alt is just about the best LT prospect to come out in a decade. Technically, about as sound as they come and he has elite size.

Somebody posted a bunch of pages back all the measurables of Alt and Fashunu.
Alt was like #8 of the 200 T ever graded and Fashunu was like #16.

I’m sure whatever the grading criteria, it has significant indications that those 2 guys are better than the average.

I also made a super long post about the drafts covering the past 20 years. There is a pattern of bad drafts where position is almost irrelevant, the top 10 picks or so just didn’t succeed.
Of the successful positions, T is one of the higher hit rates across the entire first round.

That was me, and it was in reference to their RAS. RAS isn't the greatest indicator of success, especially since players opt out of certain events which can affect their score. But it does give you somewhat of an idea of a prospects overall athletic profile compared to other players currently and historically.

From Mike Herndon

Where the top 5 OL in the draft stack up for some of the top draft analysts (overall rank in parentheses):

Daniel Jeremiah (NFL)
Fuaga (9)
Alt (10)
Fautanu (12)
Fashanu (15)
Latham (16)

Lance Zierlein (NFL)
Latham (8)
Alt (13)
Fuaga (16)
Fautanu (18)
Mims (20)

Mel Kiper (ESPN)
Alt (8)
Fautanu (10)
Latham (11)
Fuaga (16)
Fashanu (17)

Matt Miller (ESPN)
Alt (8)
Fashanu (11)
Fuaga (12)
Guyton (20)
Latham (21)

Jordan Reid (ESPN)
Alt (4)
Fashanu (9)
Fuaga (13)
Latham (16)
Guyton (19)

Dane Brugler (The Athletic)
Alt (6)
Fashanu (9)
Latham (13)
Fuaga (16)
Mims (17)

Brandon Thorn (Bleacher Report)
Alt (5)
Fashanu (6)
Latham (14)
Fautanu (17)
Mims (23)

33rd Team
Alt (3)
Latham (6)
Fashanu (9)
Fuaga (12)
Fautanu (22)

PFF
Alt (5)
Fuaga (12)
Fautanu (13)
Fashanu (18)
Latham (21)

The Draft Network
Alt (3)
Fashanu (4)
Fuaga (10)
Fautanu (16)
Suamataia (20)

(NOTE: Some rank Fautanu as a guard instead of a tackle. I personally think he can stick at tackle, but mileage varies on that among the experts.)

From Mike Herndon

Where the top 5 OL in the draft stack up for some of the top draft analysts (overall rank in parentheses):

Daniel Jeremiah (NFL)
Fuaga (9)
Alt (10)
Fautanu (12)
Fashanu (15)
Latham (16)

Lance Zierlein (NFL)
Latham (8)
Alt (13)
Fuaga (16)
Fautanu (18)
Mims (20)

Mel Kiper (ESPN)
Alt (8)
Fautanu (10)
Latham (11)
Fuaga (16)
Fashanu (17)

Matt Miller (ESPN)
Alt (8)
Fashanu (11)
Fuaga (12)
Guyton (20)
Latham (21)

Jordan Reid (ESPN)
Alt (4)
Fashanu (9)
Fuaga (13)
Latham (16)
Guyton (19)

Alt (6)
Fashanu (9)
Latham (13)
Fuaga (16)
Mims (17)

Alt (5)
Fashanu (6)
Latham (14)
Fautanu (17)
Mims (23)

33rd Team
Alt (3)
Latham (6)
Fashanu (9)
Fuaga (12)
Fautanu (22)

PFF
Alt (5)
Fuaga (12)
Fautanu (13)
Fashanu (18)
Latham (21)

The Draft Network
Alt (3)
Fashanu (4)
Fuaga (10)
Fautanu (16)
Suamataia (20)

(NOTE: Some rank Fautanu as a guard instead of a tackle. I personally think he can stick at tackle, but mileage varies on that among the experts.)

So this tells me that if Alt isn't available and you want an OT then you try like heck to trade down.

From Mike Herndon

Daniel Jeremiah (NFL)
Fuaga (9)
Alt (10)
Fautanu (12)
Fashanu (15)
Latham (16)

Lance Zierlein (NFL)
Latham (8)
Alt (13)
Fuaga (16)
Fautanu (18)
Mims (20)

Mel Kiper (ESPN)
Alt (8)
Fautanu (10)
Latham (11)
Fuaga (16)
Fashanu (17)

Matt Miller (ESPN)
Alt (8)
Fashanu (11)
Fuaga (12)
Guyton (20)
Latham (21)

Jordan Reid (ESPN)
Alt (4)
Fashanu (9)
Fuaga (13)
Latham (16)
Guyton (19)

Alt (6)
Fashanu (9)
Latham (13)
Fuaga (16)
Mims (17)

Alt (5)
Fashanu (6)
Latham (14)
Fautanu (17)
Mims (23)

33rd Team
Alt (3)
Latham (6)
Fashanu (9)
Fuaga (12)
Fautanu (22)

PFF
Alt (5)
Fuaga (12)
Fautanu (13)
Fashanu (18)
Latham (21)

The Draft Network
Alt (3)
Fashanu (4)
Fuaga (10)
Fautanu (16)
Suamataia (20)

Too many damn F names for a simple man like to keep up with who is who.

ctrl + ALT + delete ;)

Perfect! Data to back up my suspicion. The question now is, how many of those tackles were considered safe or slam dunks?

Perfect! Data to back up my suspicion. The question now is, how many of those tackles were considered safe or slam dunks?
Posted this awhile back in the Random stats thread.
Take notice to the T results.
Couldnt tell you who was considered “slam dunks” but OT taken top 10 from 2000-2020 have about a 60% chance for at least 1 PB season, about 25% chance for 1 all pro season and stick with the team that drafted them appx 7-8 seasons on avg.

This is by position selected. I only compared the 1-5 and 6-10 since that was the heart of the argument. Positions might be generic in some cases, profootball reference doesn’t always help out and has added positions over time (EDGE vs DE or OLB as ex)

The positions are DE, DT, LB, DB for D and QB, RB, WR, TE (yes one was taken this early), G, T for offense. C for ex has 0 selections that early.

It reads like this:
Number of players of the position picked
Number of players achieving Pro Bowl (PB) (1+)
Number of player All Pro (AP) (1+ and 1st team only)
AVG number of years performing for the team that drafted them.

1-5 picks
DE - 11 players/ 6 PB/ 2 AP/ 6.9 yrs
DT - 6 players/ 3 PB/ 3 AP/ 5.83 yrs
LB - 6 players/ 3 PB/ 2 AP/ 5.83 yrs
DB - 5 players/ 4 PB/ 2 AP/ 7.4 yrs
QB - 21 players/ 13 PB/ 3 AP/ 7.05 yrs
RB - 9 players/ 4 PB/ 3 AP/ 5.67 yrs
WR - 10 players/ 6 PB/ 3 AP/ 6.9 yrs
G - 1 player/ 1 PB/ 1 AP/ 7 yrs
T - 15 players/ 8 PB/ 3 AP/ 6.8 yrs

6-10
DE - 9 players/ 4 PB/ 1 AP/ 4.45 yrs
DT - 10 players/ 5 PB/ 1 AP/ 5.9 yrs
LB - 10 players/ 5 PB/ 4 AP/ 7.3 yrs
DB - 16 players/ 5 PB/ 1 AP/ 4.44 yrs
QB - 5 players/ 0 PB/ 0 AP/ 4.2 yrs
RB - 4 players/ 3 PB/ 2 AP/ 5.75 yrs
WR - 15 players/ 3 PB/ 1 AP/ 5 yrs
TE - 3 players/ 2 PB/ 0 AP/ 6.33 yrs
G - 2 players/ 0 PB/ 0 AP/ 6 yrs
T - 10 players/ 6 PB/ 3 AP/ 7.9 yrs

First we can see the focus of positions teams seem to key in on. This is one thing that makes comparing 1-5 with 6-10 as apples to apples but it’s close.
Most of the positions get better results out of 1-5 picks outside of the average years a player may stay with a team.
Maybe LB, RB, and T from 6-10 were better.
DE, DT are pretty even.
QB, WR, DB, G fared better 1-5.

still more to come.

Posted this awhile back in the Random stats thread.
Take notice to the T results.
Couldnt tell you who was considered “slam dunks” but OT taken top 10 from 2000-2020 have about a 60% chance for at least 1 PB season, about 25% chance for 1 all pro season and stick with the team that drafted them appx 7-8 seasons on avg.
How many of the “tackles” chosen in your research actually played LT in the NFL at a high level, though? I counted 3 of 14 chosen in the top 10 from 2012 to 2021. Less than 25%. Since this fan base will riot if we choose a LT and move him to any other position, I think this matters.

How many of the “tackles” chosen in your research actually played LT in the NFL at a high level, though? I counted 3 of 14 chosen in the top 10 from 2012 to 2021. Less than 25%. Since this fan base will riot if we choose a LT and move him to any other position, I think this matters.
I didn’t break down LT vs RT.
“High level” is a subjective term.

if the titans took Alt and he never reaches a PB but becomes a starter for 7+ years (at least 2 contracts), to me, that’s a win.

I didn’t break down LT vs RT.
“High level” is a subjective term.

if the titans took Alt and he never reaches a PB but becomes a starter for 7+ years (at least 2 contracts), to me, that’s a win.
I get it, and I’m not asking you to do extra research, but of the 60% hit rate you showed, even using your metrics of success, I’d say a majority of that 60% didn’t start at LT in the NFL for very long. A lot of those guys did play at a high level at RT or guard, though.

All of that to say, LT is a really difficult position to “hit” on for every team, not just the Titans.

Latest posts

Back