Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vigsted said:
I don't like the word reach. It makes it appear as if there's some kind of 100% objective ranking of players, which I contend there is not. If Titans have Cutler or Leinart as the #1 player on their board, is it a reach, because for instance Kiper has them lower? Who decides which "board" is the correct one?
If Reese has Cutler the #1 QB and worthy of the third pick, it isn't a reach for him. However, on the TitanJeff Big Board, Cutler is a reach at #3.

I've seen several mock drafts, and I have'nt seen one with us taking Cutler, Most of the time it was Young, and then sometimes it's Leinart, but I never saw Cutler he dropped all the way to 10th on a couple.

Both of those Mocks were done before the Saints signed Brees and the Jets traded for Ramsey. It's unlikely either will take a QB.

Ramsey? What has he ever done besides get hit 50 bazillion times in Steve Spurrier's ill-fated fun and gun... I don't think you can count the Jets all the way out on draftng a qb... who knows? I obviously don't.

I've been thinking about this question alot. We're going for a franchise QB. IMO, the only one of the three who has franchise POTENTIAL is Young. Cutler hasn't proven he can win (big), and Leinart has won in a rock solid system.

Vince has proven his entire college career that he is a playmaker- a hallmark characteristic of a NFL franchise player. I don't believe he is as smart as Cutler or Leinart, but his play-making is instinctive. I think he can tighten up his passing with some coaching.

In sum, I think that Young would be able to guide the Titans to more wins than Cutler or Young, regardless of what defenses were thrown at him.

Riverman said:
I've been thinking about this question alot. We're going for a franchise QB. IMO, the only one of the three who has franchise POTENTIAL is Young. Cutler hasn't proven he can win (big), and Leinart has won in a rock solid system.

Vince has proven his entire college career that he is a playmaker- a hallmark characteristic of a NFL franchise player. I don't believe he is as smart as Cutler or Leinart, but his play-making is instinctive. I think he can tighten up his passing with some coaching.

In sum, I think that Young would be able to guide the Titans to more wins than Cutler or Young, regardless of what defenses were thrown at him.

Young will drop in the draft out of the top 5 and the only question now is will Cutler go before Leinart. I posted this in another spot as well.
As

http://www.gbnreport.com/scoutsnotebook.htm

Perhaps the even bigger story that could be unfolding in this year’s QB story, is the possibility that there almost may be a shift in the pecking order for the top three QBs. Again, it isn’t something that NFL teams are talking about publicly, but there were published reports last week that suggested that at least a couple of teams now have Cutler rated as the top QB prospect, followed by Leinart and then Young. There was one report out of Oakland, for example, that suggested that the Raiders, who currently have the 7th pick overall, would take Cutler if they traded up in to the top two draft slots this April, while they figured they’d get Leinart if they were able to move up a only a couple of spots, while Young would likely be their guy if they stayed where they were at #7. Similarly, there was another report out of New York that the Jets were high on Cutler, lukewarm on Leinart, but likely wouldn’t take Young at all, at least not with a top 5 pick.

I really think teams are downgrading Young, right fully so, because he will not be ready as quick as the other two and because he has the most question marks. He is a boom or bust guy more than Leinart or Cutler.
Teams are seeing more of Bret Farve in Cutler and like the fact he has more mobility and a better arm than Leinart.

As far as downgrading Cutler because he hasn't won big scouts can see beyond the fact Cutler played on a bad team. Going into this year Cutler was a 2nd rounder, low 1st pick but he proved this year he can take his team from behind in the final minutes of a game.

Soxcat said:
Young will drop in the draft out of the top 5 and the only question now is will Cutler go before Leinart. I posted this in another spot as well.
As

http://www.gbnreport.com/scoutsnotebook.htm

I really think teams are downgrading Young, right fully so, because he will not be ready as quick as the other two and because he has the most question marks. He is a boom or bust guy more than Leinart or Cutler.
Teams are seeing more of Bret Farve in Cutler and like the fact he has more mobility and a better arm than Leinart.

As far as downgrading Cutler because he hasn't won big scouts can see beyond the fact Cutler played on a bad team. Going into this year Cutler was a 2nd rounder, low 1st pick but he proved this year he can take his team from behind in the final minutes of a game.

Can't argue logically with that, but what evidence has there been to suggest that Young has greater bust potential than Leinart or Cutler. It's all speculative- I really don't have any information to base an opinion on other than past performance. Young's Wonderlic score doesn't bother me- there has actually been a good study that suggested these scores do NOT correlate to NFL passing efficiency or success.

I agree that Cutler thus far appears to have skills that would comprise a better total NFL QB than Leinart and that he would be ready to play earlier than Young. However, I think Young has better play-making potential in the NFL. I believe this will translate to more wins.

I'd like to see the Titans draft Young if he's there, if not, then Cutler. I'm not a Leinart fan so I'd like to see them trade the pick if Young or Cutler are gone and pick up D-Brick, Hawk, Lendale White and get Omar Jacobs in the 2nd.

Riverman said:
I agree that Cutler thus far appears to have skills that would comprise a better total NFL QB than Leinart and that he would be ready to play earlier than Young. However, I think Young has better play-making potential in the NFL. I believe this will translate to more wins.
All three guys have talent, and none of them is going to win a Superbowl on his own. IMO "playmaking potential" translates into highlights, not wins necessarily. For me, poise and intelligence translates into consistant winning.

Brian said:
.... For me, poise and intelligence translates into consistant winning.

Agreed. And again, short of each of these players past record, knowing who will be the best is all speculation. Vince demonstrated sound judgement and exceptional skills at Texas.

Vigsted said:
Problem is he also has the most bust potential

Everyone keeps saying this on speculation. How so? The only points I've heard based on something factual is 1) his Wonderlic score and 2) his throwing motion.

I refute the Wonderlic score- I've seen data that indicates it has no predictive value for NFL passing efficiency or success. His college passing stats are actually quite good. Throwing style translating to NFL is speculation and I believe this could be coached if need be.

I agree with others that he will take 2 years to develop as a "complete" NFL QB (passing/running) but I believe he would make as immediate impact as Cutler or Leinart in regards to winning games.

I believe alot of the negativity surrounding Young is as much media hype as the positivity surrounding Cutler and Leinart.

I don't think Young will be a bust but when you compare his chances against more prototypical NFL passers he does have a slightly higher probability IMO. Heck any of these guys could bust. Leinart could be the next Jason White, so could Cutler and Young could be playing WR in a few years.
If you agree it will take Young two years to develop then right there you have a serious situation. What if he doesn't develop? The guy is going to get paid mega bucks to ride the pine "developing" for half of his rookie contract.

Riverman said:
Everyone keeps saying this on speculation. How so? The only points I've heard based on something factual is 1) his Wonderlic score and 2) his throwing motion.

Add to that he didn't run a pro-style offence, took a whole lot more snaps from the shotgun and the questions about his ability to read defensive schemes.

Soxcat said:
I don't think Young will be a bust but when you compare his chances against more prototypical NFL passers he does have a slightly higher probability IMO. Heck any of these guys could bust. Leinart could be the next Jason White, so could Cutler and Young could be playing WR in a few years.
If you agree it will take Young two years to develop then right there you have a serious situation. What if he doesn't develop? The guy is going to get paid mega bucks to ride the pine "developing" for half of his rookie contract.

I think Young could be an immediate impact player as QB, because of his ability (and threat) to run as a "check-down" option. I think it will take him 2 years to "master" a pro-style offense and his ability to recognize defenses and audible at the line. I believe he has the most physical talent of the 3 which will allow him to adjust to the speed of the game without difficulty.

Having said all that, I certainly won't be disappointed if we go with Cutler instead. I just don't feel good about passing on a player with surreal natural (physical) talent like Young.

I guess it boils down to what type of QB do I want for the Titans. Honestly, I want the one who will contribute the most to more checks in the win column.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back