Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
kudos lets recognize Pittsburgh Steeler organization for recognition and ownership that the offense is highly broken and to bring in someone with a different skillset instead of just tanking/giving up on season mistreating the fans. Like the change with the Raiders I believe we'll see a change with the steelers and their offense. The Titans can keep making excuses and ignore the elephants in the room all they want...(kick the can...)
I appreciate what you're saying but you have to look at the situations of all three of those teams too.

The Steelers are likely a playoff team still competing for their division.

McDaniels had completely lost the locker room in a season they were supposed to compete.

Vrabel and co are year 1 with a new gm, in a rebuild with a rookie second round qb. Making a midseason firing doesn't help us

I appreciate what you're saying but you have to look at the situations of all three of those teams too.

McDaniels had completely lost the locker room in a season they were supposed to compete.

Vrabel and co are year 1 with a new gm, in a rebuild with a rookie second round qb. Making a midseason firing doesn't help us
Raiders happen to bring up a great example for HC being a problem.
2x in 3 years they fired their HC midseason. This season still remains but last time they turned into a playoff team. They’re certainly in the mix currently.

Ken Dorsey is an outlier. Most Coordinators don’t get fired in their 2nd year in season.

Donatelli was fired in off season, not in season.

Leftwich was fired in his 5th year. He was great and looked at for head coaching jobs while he had Brady.

You will be hard pressed to find coaches or coordinators just shooting from the hip fired because a team is under performing at fan expectations.
You can now add Matt Canada from the Steelers to the list but keep telling yourself HCs don’t fire their staff when they’re performing poorly.

dont hurt

This has nothing to do with midseason firings. It has to do with Vrabel sticking with coaches over multiple seasons when they should have been let go.

You can now add Matt Canada from the Steelers to the list but keep telling yourself HCs don’t fire their staff when they’re performing poorly.

In the middle of a a season is rare. It’s still rare no matter what has happened this season. You keep telling yourself I’m making another argument.

In the middle of a a season is rare. It’s still rare no matter what has happened this season. You keep telling yourself I’m making another argument.
I’m not going to do all the research, but at least 4 coordinators were fired in season in 2018. I don’t think it is as rare as you think it is.

What is rare is a head coach surviving much longer after firing a coordinator in season.

Firstly, I never talked about inseason firing. I was talking about Vrabel not being willing to fire poorly performing coaches at any time.
Secondly, of course inseason firings are rare, only teams that are having major issues on offense or defense will do it. But you can’t claim that Titans haven’t had major issues on both sides if the ball for the past years. Defense has been bad for years with an uptick when Schwartz joined which made everything forget we wanted Bowen fired. Offense was putrid for 2 full seasons before Downing was fired (and without the DUI I’m not sure he wouldn’t still be here).
Then there is the issue of who he brings on. It’s either internal promotions or his old boy network.
The only successful coordinators we’ve had are the ones Vrabel didn’t hire by himself:
Lafleur, Smith, Pees and Schwartz.

Firstly, I never talked about inseason firing. I was talking about Vrabel not being willing to fire poorly performing coaches at any time.
Secondly, of course inseason firings are rare, only teams that are having major issues on offense or defense will do it. But you can’t claim that Titans haven’t had major issues on both sides if the ball for the past years. Defense has been bad for years with an uptick when Schwartz joined which made everything forget we wanted Bowen fired. Offense was putrid for 2 full seasons before Downing was fired (and without the DUI I’m not sure he wouldn’t still be here).
Then there is the issue of who he brings on. It’s either internal promotions or his old boy network.
The only successful coordinators we’ve had are the ones Vrabel didn’t hire by himself:
Lafleur, Smith, Pees and Schwartz.

Vrabel absolutely hired those coaches. He gets the credit and the blame. You can’t have it both ways. Downing wasn’t fired because of the DUI. He was fired because he was bad, horrible. Bowen will be next. Vrabel owns those guys his decisions. But this is your narrative. Bad stuff Vrabels fault. Good stuff not his. That’s bullshit. Vrabel, if not traded for by Patriots, will get time to right the ship. The roster wasn’t his. It was destroyed by JRob. You can’t coach trash. If he can’t get it done in the next 2 he will be gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vrabel absolutely hired those coaches. He gets the credit and the blame. You can’t have it both ways. Downing wasn’t fired because of the DUI. He was fired because he was bad, horrible. Bowen will be next. Vrabel owns those guys his decisions. But this is your narrative. Bad stuff Vrabels fault. Good stuff not his. That’s bull****. Vrabel, if not traded for by Patriots, will get time to right the ship. The roster wasn’t his. It was destroyed by JRob. You can’t coach trash. If he can’t get it done in the next 2 he will be gone.
Matt Lafleur was the HC candidate alongside Vrabel and 2 weeks later he is hired as OC. That tells me the Titans FO was pulling the strings.

Dean Pees, I had forgotten he coached Vrabel in New England, so I will give him that hire.

Arthur Smith was with the Titans since 2012. Yes Vrabel promoted him to OC when Lafleur left but he didn’t bring him on in the first place.

Jim Schwartz was brought in to consult and his previous connection with Titans ownership and none with Vrabel also smells like a decision made in the FO.

Vrabel absolutely hired those coaches. He gets the credit and the blame. You can’t have it both ways. Downing wasn’t fired because of the DUI. He was fired because he was bad, horrible. Bowen will be next. Vrabel owns those guys his decisions. But this is your narrative. Bad stuff Vrabels fault. Good stuff not his. That’s bull****. Vrabel, if not traded for by Patriots, will get time to right the ship. The roster wasn’t his. It was destroyed by JRob. You can’t coach trash. If he can’t get it done in the next 2 he will be gone.
JRob built a roster that won division championships and a run the AFC championship game. The more influence Vrabel had, the worse things got. The lack of development and Vrabel input was JRob's problems.

JRob built a roster that won division championships and a run the AFC championship game. The more influence Vrabel had, the worse things got. The lack of development and Vrabel input was JRob's problems.
Yeah, this is fantasy. JRob was bad. Vrabel is bad at hiring assistant coaches.

This is that argument that we will never know exactly how much pull Vrabel had vs JRob.
The fact JRob still allowed those 1st round picks is inexcusable (Panda, Farley, Burks)
And I would argue that the Farley pick at least was a JRob special coming off of major injury.

This is that argument that we will never know exactly how much pull Vrabel had vs JRob.
The fact JRob still allowed those 1st round picks is inexcusable (Panda, Farley, Burks)
And I would argue that the Farley pick at least was a JRob special coming off of major injury.
Yet, here we are still drafting injured players. We drafted a player that has no acl and has arthritis. So let's not put all the blame on JRob for injured players, that still exists.Hell, look at Levis, he was injured for the entire previous season and has been injured most of this season.

Matt Lafleur was the HC candidate alongside Vrabel and 2 weeks later he is hired as OC. That tells me the Titans FO was pulling the strings.

Dean Pees, I had forgotten he coached Vrabel in New England, so I will give him that hire.

Arthur Smith was with the Titans since 2012. Yes Vrabel promoted him to OC when Lafleur left but he didn’t bring him on in the first place.

Jim Schwartz was brought in to consult and his previous connection with Titans ownership and none with Vrabel also smells like a decision made in the FO.
the mental gymnastics to not give vrabel credit for things here is truly impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back