Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that injuries have messed up the secondary but we saw that a good secondary without a pass rush won’t cut it.
3 years ago we had a healthy, Butler, Ryan, and AJ25, plus Byard and the lack of pass rush is one of the big items that still plagued the victory column.

It’s been proven that a solid pass rush (especially if no blitz is required) helps even a marginal secondary.

They are symbiotic. One cannot succeed alone.

A bad secondary coupled with a good pass rush, a good qb just gets the ball out fast and nickels and dimes you to death.

A bad pass rush paired with a good secondary leaves the qb too much time, and eventually a hole in the zone will be found, or the qb finds someone open on a scramble drill.

Right now, I think the secondary is the bigger problem.

A bad secondary coupled with a good pass rush, a good qb just gets the ball out fast and nickels and dimes you to death.

A bad pass rush paired with a good secondary leaves the qb too much time, and eventually a hole in the zone will be found, or the qb finds someone open on a scramble drill.

As long as they keep playing 10 yards off the ball every play no matter what down or situation they will continue to suck. Especially on short downs, it's mind numbing. None of them are good enough to give that much cushion.

I disagree. I think the pass rush is still the bigger problem because there is no fix currently on the roster. The secondary is real banged up, but we will get AJ25 and Fulton back at some point.

The defense is basically the same as last year save Casey, Ryan, and woodyard. I believe we have the talent to replace them all. What we seem to be missing is the leadership.

I agree that injuries have messed up the secondary but we saw that a good secondary without a pass rush won’t cut it.
3 years ago we had a healthy, Butler, Ryan, and AJ25, plus Byard and the lack of pass rush is one of the big items that still plagued the victory column.

It’s been proven that a solid pass rush (especially if no blitz is required) helps even a marginal secondary.

To a certain extent, yes. But if the DB's are playing so far off the ball teams can throw a slant route as soon as the ball is snapped there is no pass rush that is going to help that.

Landry and Simmons are both top 15 in QB knockdowns and Landry is 11th in QB hurries. We are getting pressure, but QB's don't have to hold onto the ball against our secondary so they can't convert them to sacks.

To a certain extent, yes. But if the DB's are playing so far off the ball teams can throw a slant route as soon as the ball is snapped there is no pass rush that is going to help that.

Landry and Simmons are both top 15 in QB knockdowns and Landry is 11th in QB hurries. We are getting pressure, but QB's don't have to hold onto the ball against our secondary so they can't convert them to sacks.
DBs playing off is a coach thing, not the DB. Why trade for a different DB to,play off the WR?

I also don’t see the pressure. Watching the games, QBs rarely have anyone forcing out of the pocket. Simmons seems the only consistent pass rusher, at least on a positive note. Clowney is consistent too, consistently losing the edge and putting himself in the wrong place.

PFF has Joseph as the #22 CB in coverage in the league right now. Butler is #84. I see why everyone had been attacking Butler all season.

DBs playing off is a coach thing, not the DB. Why trade for a different DB to,play off the WR?

I also don’t see the pressure. Watching the games, QBs rarely have anyone forcing out of the pocket. Simmons seems the only consistent pass rusher, at least on a positive note. Clowney is consistent too, consistently losing the edge and putting himself in the wrong place.

Because we have to play off the ball because our DB's are too slow to play press... coaches are having to do that because of personnel.

You aren't seeing the pressure because the QB is getting rid of the ball instantly lol like I've been saying. Go back and watch the first 3rd and 12 Pittsburgh converted. It's a slant route that Big Ben literally throws about a second after the snap. DB was off the ball and Johnson jukes him for the first down. There is no pass rusher alive to can consistently pressure against that.

Why do you think screens and short passes are so effective against the blitz? It negates the pass rush

Hell go look at Ben's pass chart from next gen stats. It's all short throws.. you think that's by accident??

PFF has Joseph as the #22 CB in coverage in the league right now. Butler is #84. I see why everyone had been attacking Butler all season.

Agreed butler has to be better, definitely tougher on him with no Adoree at all this year.

Could be butlers last year here considering we can get out of his contract for the most part after this season. But we'll see if adoree coming back helps alot, it should.

Malcolm Butler

Because we have to play off the ball because our DB's are too slow to play press... coaches are having to do that because of personnel.

You aren't seeing the pressure because the QB is getting rid of the ball instantly lol like I've been saying. Go back and watch the first 3rd and 12 Pittsburgh converted. It's a slant route that Big Ben literally throws about a second after the snap. DB was off the ball and Johnson jukes him for the first down. There is no pass rusher alive to can consistently pressure against that.

Why do you think screens and short passes are so effective against the blitz? It negates the pass rush

Hell go look at Ben's pass chart from next gen stats. It's all short throws.. you think that's by accident??
A) playing off the ball has been happening since Vrabel took over. Doesn’t matter the DB, he’s playing them that way. As I said earlier, we had the best secondary 3 years ago with Ryan, AJ25, and Butler with Byard at safety and still got no pass rush.

B) the lack of pressure is not just quick releases. There are plenty of examples of the opposing QB sitting down, having tea, baking cookies, then throwing the ball without ever feeling any heat.

Throwing short based on what the D gives you is smart football. Doesn’t mean the wrong players are on the field.

Agreed butler has to be better, definitely tougher on him with no Adoree at all this year.

Could be butlers last year here considering we can get out of his contract for the most part after this season. But we'll see if adoree coming back helps alot, it should.

Malcolm Butler
Seems like we saw the same immediate regression with Ryan last year.
Curious if it’s coincidence.

A) playing off the ball has been happening since Vrabel took over. Doesn’t matter the DB, he’s playing them that way. As I said earlier, we had the best secondary 3 years ago with Ryan, AJ25, and Butler with Byard at safety and still got no pass rush.

B) the lack of pressure is not just quick releases. There are plenty of examples of the opposing QB sitting down, having tea, baking cookies, then throwing the ball without ever feeling any heat.

Throwing short based on what the D gives you is smart football. Doesn’t mean the wrong players are on the field.

With Pees our DB’s were much closer to the LOS.

Again go show me a QB chart with a lot of deep to intermediate passes against us. That’s how teams are attacking us. Short throws that result in 7-8 yards.

I guarantee you we are a top 15 team in overall pressure on the QB this year.

Stephon Gilmore is rumored to be available. You’re telling me you wouldn’t want him over these “pass rushers?”

Malcolm Butler

Butler is just far too inconsistent. He played pretty well against Pittsburgh but got torched against Houston.

He will most definitely be released after this year. No way we can justify paying him that much money next year. For reference, Gilmore would cost us 7.5 million this year and 8.5 next year. I’d take that all day over Butler.

With Pees our DB’s were much closer to the LOS.

Again go show me a QB chart with a lot of deep to intermediate passes against us. That’s how teams are attacking us. Short throws that result in 7-8 yards.

I guarantee you we are a top 15 team in overall pressure on the QB this year.

Stephon Gilmore is rumored to be available. You’re telling me you wouldn’t want him over these “pass rushers?”

I call your guarantee and show you that we are 26th in pressure, 28th in hurries, and 30th in sacks.
2020 NFL Opposition & Defensive Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

I think we are on the verge of something great. The Titans went out and got multiple players during free agency. I think they know they are right there. I expect a huge trade coming in the next week.

Can we trade for a new defensive coordinator?

you have to have one first....we never replaced Pees

Our defensive strategy is certainly to try and avoid the big play...we have only given up 17 passes over 20yrds this yr...the league leader has given up 15...the Bengals have given up 30 passes over 20 yrds.

We are getting teams in bad yardage situations, but then letting them off the hook. I really feel that we are close to getting this defense to gel and getting Adoree back will certainly help

I still can't figure out why we only had 3 OLBers active last week. Roberson needs to be active and we need to rotate those guys more. They are getting gassed out there.....of course if they could get off the field on 3rd down they wouldn't get so gassed......also not sure why Long was inactive...he makes plays when he gets a chance

you have to have one first....we never replaced Pees

Our defensive strategy is certainly to try and avoid the big play...we have only given up 17 passes over 20yrds this yr...the league leader has given up 15...the Bengals have given up 30 passes over 20 yrds.

We are getting teams in bad yardage situations, but then letting them off the hook. I really feel that we are close to getting this defense to gel and getting Adoree back will certainly help

I still can't figure out why we only had 3 OLBers active last week. Roberson needs to be active and we need to rotate those guys more. They are getting gassed out there.....of course if they could get off the field on 3rd down they wouldn't get so gassed......also not sure why Long was inactive...he makes plays when he gets a chance

If by close you mean our 25 million pass rushers all of a sudden actually start making plays I hope your right. I keep telling myself the defense will come together but it just isn’t happening, I hope they figure something out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back