Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has the potential to win that spot if he wins a sb. McNair dealt with so much and still made the titans a team that was competitive every year, even with the most overrated coach in the history of any sport. A complete joke of a coach/gm and he still won and took us to a sb. If we had a paper sack as a coach during the McNair days, we'd probably have 2 rings. But, tanny is really good and very underestimated, he could win that top spot.

Tanny 2020, got my vote
"The most overrated coach in the history of any sport". Jeez how quickly we forget. Confirmation Bias. Jeff Fisher was a great coach. Don't know the numbers but how many coaches make it to the Super Bowl? How many have 100 wins? Not many. He got the most out of some not great players and had this team playing tough, physical and competitive for a long stretch of time.

His inevitable downfall was his refusal to adapt to the new game. The Titans weren't building a team around his philosophy and he refused to evolve around the players. Imagine how creative coaches like Reid, Shanahan, or McVay can be with VY and CJ? Btw.. he also had some terrible GMs.

Time for him to go? Absolutely. Enjoy your retirement Fish. Terrible coach during the span of his career? Absolutely not! Not even close.

"The most overrated coach in the history of any sport". Jeez how quickly we forget. Confirmation Bias. Jeff Fisher was a great coach. Don't know the numbers but how many coaches make it to the Super Bowl? How many have 100 wins? Not many. He got the most out of some not great players and had this team playing tough, physical and competitive for a long stretch of time.

His inevitable downfall was his refusal to adapt to the new game. The Titans weren't building a team around his philosophy and he refused to evolve around the players. Imagine how creative coaches like Reid, Shanahan, or McVay can be with VY and CJ? Btw.. he also had some terrible GMs.

Time for him to go? Absolutely. Enjoy your retirement Fish. Terrible coach during the span of his career? Absolutely not! Not even close.
Some HC/Fisher stats:
-58 coaches have reached the SB
-43 coaches have reached 100 wins
-2 have reached 165 losses (Dan Reeves, Jeff Fisher)
-Of the 43 HC to reach 100 wins, only 2 have a lower win % than Fisher (Weeb Ewbank, Norv turner)
-9 HC reached 100 wins and did not go to the SB (not counting pre-SB era)
-24 100 win HC won the SB, 30 won the championship counting pre-SB era
-9 had a lower playoff win%, 1 tied. (.455)
-6 have less playoff seasons, 4 tied (6)
-2 (SB era) had a lower playoff season %(.2727) (Ewbank, Turner)

Just some stats. Fisher has the best run in Titans history, arguably franchise from 99’-03’. He was never “great” and thanks to his SB run, he gets a little more credit than the rest of his career really deserves.
As you pointed out, he had a stubbornness to change with the game which is actually another sign of mediocrity overall.

I too, disagree he’s “the most overrated coach in the history of any sport.” He’d have to be rated a lot higher to be overrated. I don’t see him as rated all that high, even among titans fans.

I'm definitely not a fan of fisher, lol. But, yea he's not the most overrated coach of all time in any sport, I'm still sour that he would never change. He stuck to his guns and his guns weren't always loaded. He had the benefit of really good rosters and he didn't take advantage of that. We should have a couple rings and don't because of fisher. He's also a prick, he's friends with one of my family members, so I've been around him quite a few times. I'm definitely bias

To thise of us who watched closely in Miami, NONE of this is a shock.

He was only “inconsistent” as a result of terrible OLs and worse coaching and
schemes.

There were SOOO many idiot fans in Miami, and national media aped some of their idiotic takes, but there were plenty of us who knew Tannehill was special and was being held back.

What a breath of fresh air to be in a TN uniform. Absent bad injury, he will continue to be a GREAT quarterback for the next 5 or 6 years at least. I promise you that!

schemes.

There were SOOO many idiot fans in Miami, and national media aped some of their idiotic takes, but there were plenty of us who knew Tannehill was special and was being held back.

What a breath of fresh air to be in a TN uniform. Absent bad injury, he will continue to be a GREAT quarterback for the next 5 or 6 years at least. I promise you that!
The Gase affect is real. Just wait til Darnold can get away from him.

Doubt it, he's too old. If he spent his entire career here, he'd have a good shot. He's 32. Unless you're a truly elite QB, you really start to go downhill in your 30s. Quarterback Age Curves

View attachment 17779

If he wins us a super bowl, sure.

I think be’s showing he’s truly elite. You’re probably slower to acknowledge that since you probably werent following him closely for 8 years... he’s kind of an athletic freak and he’s very smart...... he had a career as an orthopedic surgeon cut short by an NFL injury that healed... ..[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

schemes.

Ive always liked Tanny, thank God we got him

You DO know that wasnt the question right? yeah, only 15 games- hence the question “WILL HE BE.”.... not “IS HE”
You realize with the rest of the quote, that I specifically stated him needing more time before this can really be judged. Tons of players throughout history had 1-2 seasons, no matter how great, and were never considered greatest anything.

He’s playing lights out. Love to see him continue, but even with current production, he’s not better nor can I say he’s going to be better than Moon. If something were to happen today, people will argue history that McNair was better.

yeah, i got that. it's a question about an unknown future base on what you see/believe/feel now.

Obviously no one has enough info to KNOW- that was the whole point of the survey, and what made it interesting. i.e., based on what you've seen, what do you think? Will he (in time)?

Doubt it, he's too old. If he spent his entire career here, he'd have a good shot. He's 32. Unless you're a truly elite QB, you really start to go downhill in your 30s. Quarterback Age Curves

View attachment 17779

If he wins us a super bowl, sure.

He has all the tools- smart, strong arm, pin point accuracy, great on the run, durable..... If he stays healthy, he'll be like alot of QBs in their late 30s. Drew Brees had his highest 5 year average from age 36-41. THill has quite a bit of tread left in his tires. He's also got a frame to handle it and takes great care of himself.

yeah, i got that. it's a question about an unknown future base on what you see/believe/feel now.

Obviously no one has enough info to KNOW- that was the whole point of the survey, and what made it interesting. i.e., based on what you've seen, what do you think? Will he (in time)?
Then easy no.

As pointed out, he’s already got a later start based on age.
His production is through the roof and despite the league being easier for QBs today than it was for Moon, I still expect law of averages to lower THills general production.
this is not to say he will become terrible or even average, he is just producing at such a high level, it’s unrealistic to expect that forever.

Better than Moon? No, not until he leads this franchise to the playoffs for 7 straight seasons.

Better than McNair? No, not until he leads this franchise to a Super Bowl.

And he'll have to WIN that Super Bowl to be better than either.

(and this is coming from someone who thinks he's great...)

history of this franchise / the QB position runs 8 deep

1- Moon
2- McNair
3- Blanda
4- Tannehill
5- Pastorini
6- Young
7- Mariota
8- Collins
After Collins it’s a stretch to fill out the final 2 - hodgepodge of meh
9- Volek
10- Hasselbeck