Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ewker...

The difference btwn the #3 pick and the #10 pick is only a few million. Would you be willing to risk millions? And what makes you think the coaches and scouts won't be able to see what they can do? They all hold private workouts and their school's Pro Day.

The one guarantee is if you fall from #3 to #10 that is millions of dollars you will never get back.

dang it, I saw an article where Fisher talked about Young and Leinart not coming to the combine. He wanted them to compete like the rest of the QB's will and not at their Pro day

VolnTitan said:
The one guarantee is if you fall from #3 to #10 that is millions of dollars you will never get back.

wow, I have to live off $5 million instead of $10 million..where will I go, what will I do, how will I ever survive..save the oh whoa is me sob story for someone else :brow:

All the coaches want them to show up to the combine, but for a top 3-4 pick, who only has "down" to go, it is a big risk. Young and Leinhart will be there, they just won't go thru all the drills.

"they just won't go thru all the drills."

but they should..no ifs, ands or buts..they need to be on the same level as everyone else.

Ewker said:
but they should..no ifs, ands or buts..they need to be on the same level as everyone else.
they've proven the things they need to prove on the field. they dont need to run around in shorts for people to have an idea of their abilities.

ESPN the ocho reporting he will not go. And neither would I. Like they said, that whole rose bowl thing is all anyone will ever remember. Try to get that image out of your head. The game vaulted him to the top.

Basically, Houston isn't going to draft him because of the combine. If they draft him, it's going to be because of the mystique he left everybody with in the rose bowl. Cause honestly, they don't need him. If they draft him, it will be because the mystique was too big and because the fans want him there, and not because of a technical skill he demonstrates in a combine. He's holding the perfect card right now. He's a legend down there, everywhere, and that goes a lot further in Texas than anywhere else in the country. Football is god down there.

VolnTitan said:
No way do you take Cutler at #3. He is a good QB, but he is also is the "sexy pick" right now.
I agree with what your saying, but myself and a couple of other posters have been high on him since last year. I even made the coment that Cutler's hype would sky-rocket come the Senior-Bowl. Right now every opinion, analysis... ect is based off potential. Any player has the potential to become a legit bust, I agree... I personally want great passer, not a great athlete at the Quarterback position. I also like that certain Farve nack quality Cutler has about him.

Cutler's hype was bigger before the Senior Bowl. He didn't light it up at the senior bowl. Right now he is the "sexy" pick...everyone talks how he put the Commodores on his shoulders with bad players to glory. 5 wins. Before that, maybe 4-5 wins in 3 years. Cutler is a good QB and a sure fire first round pick, but while Vandy did play well against the worst UT team in like 20 years, they also lost multiple games against teams with LESSOR talent than Vandy.

PaCmAn 4 MvP32 said:
I know this off the subject, but HOW'S ABOUT THEM MEN VOLS BASKETBALL

YEAH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UT basketball in a NFL draft forum is kinda off the subject:winker: The Vols are doing good...
back to the draft.....

Chad Greenway is going to go in the 1st almost positively. Sims will have to have a great combine to be a 1st rounder I think...

if all fails we need Darnell Bing or Michael Huff or Ko simpson huh huh he declared..........................oooh the possabilities

Ewker said:
wow, I have to live off $5 million instead of $10 million..where will I go, what will I do, how will I ever survive..save the oh whoa is me sob story for someone else :brow:

Let me get this right. A guy can sit home on his butt and be guaranteed $10 million or he can go to the combine and possibly have a bad day and lose $5 million. Considering one of the traits you want in a starting QB is intelligence I would take the smarter guy who opted to stay home.

The combine is a place to showcase your talent. However, if there is no way you can better your draft position by going to the combine it is ridiculously stupid to do so. If you have a bad week for some reason you are giving back big bucks.

I think the problem is that they are assuming that they can only go down if they go to the combine. They are not taking into account competition. Right now I think there are a lot of scouts that are wary about Leinarts arm strength and mobility and wary about Young's ability to read defenses and become a solid passer. I dont think they are as set in the top 3 as they and most message board posters say.

These are assuming that if they go the combine then they can blow their chances at a high pick. The only way they can do that is if they show these weaknesses to be true and not show their blazing strengths.

By not competing at the combine they are making other top candidates beat them for the top slot. Guys like Cutler, Brick, and Williams now have the chance to have a great combine and maybe push one of these guys out of the top.

For example, if Cutler comes out and impresses with his arm strength and impresses with his agility, personality, or football IQ then scouts may look at him and say "You know. Leinart may be a really good passer, but man this guy Cutler can pass the ball well and he can scramble." And they wont have Leinart there to say "Look guys, I may not be VY but I can move just fine and I can throw better than both these guys." So that the weakness of Leinart are still an unknown risk, where the risk of Cutler, or Brick are at least seen and they can know what they are getting.

In my mind thats not the mindset of a true competitor. Its the mindset of a lawyer (agent). "Dont show, don't screw up, make them guess about your weaknesses."

The mind of true competitor in my mind would be. "Screw it. I'm the best prospect and I'll show you. I'm taking the reins in this thing and am not going to give guys like Cutler or Brick a shot at beating me out of my position."

But thats just my take. :winker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back