Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

I think a lot of Titans fans (not talking about anyone here on goT) saw how bad the line was last year, and the only draft prep they did was look up who is ranked as the best O-lineman in the draft, and think "that's who I want," and don't consider draft position, value, or anything else that goes into making the pick.

What's funniest to me is, they saw how many sacks Levis took last year and they all want Alt. But it's actually Fashanu who is better in pass protection according to almost every draft analyst you listen to.

I was listening to the a podcast today and they articulated this really well. They said Alt is a B+ at everything he does, but he's never going to be Trent Williams elite level player ever. Fashanu on the other hand, is better in pass pro and is a better athlete, but isn't as refined as Alt and isn't as good a run blocker. That is why Alt usually is listed as OT1.

If we really are drafting an OT to protect Levis, Fashanu makes more sense than Alt because he's better in pass pro. A lot of mock drafts now have Fashanu falling out of the top 10. So if you could trade back and still get Fashanu after picking up extra draft capital, you do it 10 times out of 10.

Alt < Fashanu.

Agreed. I've seen the same thing with several guys known for being really good in pass protection that we could pick before pick 20. And if we pick up a 3rd or better in that move there are several guys in that range that could really help at DT, safety, TE, and maybe even slot WR. So the real equation is probably Fashanu + another starter > Alt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. I've seen the same thing with several guys know for being really good in pass protection that we could pick before pick 20. And if we pick up a 3rd or better in that move there are several guys in that range that could really help at DT, safety, TE, and maybe even slot WR. So the real equation is probably Fashanu + another starter > Alt.

Coaching was a big part of the problem with the OL

I think a lot of Titans fans (not talking about anyone here on goT) saw how bad the line was last year, and the only draft prep they did was look up who is ranked as the best O-lineman in the draft, and think "that's who I want," and don't consider draft position, value, or anything else that goes into making the pick.

What's funniest to me is, they saw how many sacks Levis took last year and they all want Alt. But it's actually Fashanu who is better in pass protection according to almost every draft analyst you listen to.

I was listening to the a podcast today and they articulated this really well. They said Alt is a B+ at everything he does, but he's never going to be Trent Williams elite level player ever. Fashanu on the other hand, is better in pass pro and is a better athlete, but isn't as refined as Alt and isn't as good a run blocker. That is why Alt usually is listed as OT1.

If we really are drafting an OT to protect Levis, Fashanu makes more sense than Alt because he's better in pass pro. A lot of mock drafts now have Fashanu falling out of the top 10. So if you could trade back and still get Fashanu after picking up extra draft capital, you do it 10 times out of 10.

Alt < Fashanu.
Actually, all that matters is what big daddy Callahan thinks about the OL prospects. Whoever they choose to play OL, in the draft, I will completely trust as the best pick. Only at OL, though. Lots of draft trauma to process as a Titans fan.

Actually, all that matters is what big daddy Callahan thinks about the OL prospects. Whoever they choose to play OL, in the draft, I will completely trust as the best pick. Only at OL, though. Lots of draft trauma to process as a Titans fan.

This is wishful thinking on my part, but hopefully he is telling Ran that the guy we just signed along with a couple of later picks he really likes will be all we need. He can improve everybody else. That would be cool. But I would probably completely go into panic mode if that happens (along with most everybody on here).

And I think maybe we focused too much on run blocking and neglected pass pro when we evaluated players. Ended up with a bunch of guys that are a liability in the passing game.
This is 100% correct. This was a result of having Henry on the team and being too run centric. Not a dig at Henry at all, he was amazing and I loved having him, but I'm excited to see the Titans employ a modern offense for once.

This is 100% correct. This was a result of having Henry on the team and being too run centric. Not a dig at Henry at all, he was amazing and I loved having him, but I'm excited to see the Titans employ a modern offense for once.
They can focus on whatever but the OL didn’t run block either.

I’m not sure what “modern offense” people are looking for exactly, but consider a team like SF, very run/pass balanced, play D.
Detroit and Miami fall similarly.

If success is determined by points, yards, and victories and doesn’t equate to a run/pass balance, the “modern offense” is Baltimore, Buffalo, Philadelphia.

titans don’t have the QB for that, unless Levis is about to run for 600 yards.

They can focus on whatever but the OL didn’t run block either.

I’m not sure what “modern offense” people are looking for exactly, but consider a team like SF, very run/pass balanced, play D.
Detroit and Miami fall similarly.

If success is determined by points, yards, and victories and doesn’t equate to a run/pass balance, the “modern offense” is Baltimore, Buffalo, Philadelphia.

titans don’t have the QB for that, unless Levis is about to run for 600 yards.

A modern NFL offense is an offense that doesn't finish bottom 10 in passing offense like we have almost every year single year since McNair left.

So a “modern offense” is determined after the season is over?
As long as the team doesn’t finish bottom 10 in passing, they’re “modern” but if they do, they’re not “modern”?

A modern NFL offense is an offense that doesn't finish bottom 10 in passing offense like we have almost every year single year since McNair left.
so one third of teams dont run a modern offense every year

which ones get the memo in the offseason

Alt < Fashanu.

That's why I feel a trade back is imminent. Grab a guy that's going to fit what you're trying to run (which is obviously a spread offense) and at the same time get you a second pick or two this draft that will allow you to address LT, WR, S, and DL in the first 2/front 3 rounds.

4/16 update. not sure how much it has changed.

• Kris Abrams-Draine, Cornerback, Missouri (T30)
  • Rasheen Ali, Running Back, Marshall (T30)
  • Joe Alt^, Offensive Tackle, Notre Dame (COM, T30)
  • Terrion Arnold, Cornerback, Alabama (T30)
  • Brock Bowers, Tight End, Georgia (COM)
  • Jarvis Brownlee Jr., Cornerback, Louisville (T30)
  • Caelen Carson, Cornerback, Wake Forest (T30)
  • Junior Colson, Linebacker, Michigan (T30)
  • Olumuyiwa Fashanu, Offensive Tackle, Penn State (COM)
  • Tyler Guyton, Offensive Tackle, Oklahoma (T30)
  • McKinnley Jackson, Nose Tackle, Texas A&M (T30)
  • Cedric Johnson, Defensive End, Ole Miss (COM)
  • Isaiah Johnson, Safety, Syracuse (PRO)
  • J.C. Latham, Offensive Tackle, Alabama (T30)
  • Marshawn Lloyd, Running Back, USC (T30)
  • Kool-Aid McKinstry, Cornerback, Alabama (T30)
  • Jordan Morgan, Offensive Tackle, Arizona (COM)
  • Malik Nabers^, Wide Receiver, LSU (COM, PRO, T30)
  • Bo Nix, Quarterback, Oregon (COM)
  • Rome Odunze, Wide Receiver, Washington (COM)
  • Patrick Paul, Offensive Tackle, Houston (COM)
  • Darius Robinson, Defensive Tackle, Missouri (VIR)
  • T'Vondre Sweat, Defensive Tackle, Texas (T30)
  • Devontez Walker, Wide Receiver, North Carolina (VIR)
  • Roman Wilson, Wide Receiver, Michigan (T30)

4/16 update. not sure how much it has changed.

• Kris Abrams-Draine, Cornerback, Missouri (T30)
  • Rasheen Ali, Running Back, Marshall (T30)
  • Joe Alt^, Offensive Tackle, Notre Dame (COM, T30)
  • Terrion Arnold, Cornerback, Alabama (T30)
  • Brock Bowers, Tight End, Georgia (COM)
  • Jarvis Brownlee Jr., Cornerback, Louisville (T30)
  • Caelen Carson, Cornerback, Wake Forest (T30)
  • Junior Colson, Linebacker, Michigan (T30)
  • Olumuyiwa Fashanu, Offensive Tackle, Penn State (COM)
  • Tyler Guyton, Offensive Tackle, Oklahoma (T30)
  • McKinnley Jackson, Nose Tackle, Texas A&M (T30)
  • Cedric Johnson, Defensive End, Ole Miss (COM)
  • Isaiah Johnson, Safety, Syracuse (PRO)
  • J.C. Latham, Offensive Tackle, Alabama (T30)
  • Marshawn Lloyd, Running Back, USC (T30)
  • Kool-Aid McKinstry, Cornerback, Alabama (T30)
  • Jordan Morgan, Offensive Tackle, Arizona (COM)
  • Malik Nabers^, Wide Receiver, LSU (COM, PRO, T30)
  • Bo Nix, Quarterback, Oregon (COM)
  • Rome Odunze, Wide Receiver, Washington (COM)
  • Patrick Paul, Offensive Tackle, Houston (COM)
  • Darius Robinson, Defensive Tackle, Missouri (VIR)
  • T'Vondre Sweat, Defensive Tackle, Texas (T30)
  • Devontez Walker, Wide Receiver, North Carolina (VIR)
  • Roman Wilson, Wide Receiver, Michigan (T30)

I see 4 WRs to 6 OTs.... it will be an OT first round, boys....

When broken down, all 3 of our first 3 draft picks the past 3 years, have made some kind of visit/interview made public to the media. Even moreover, all 3 (2019, 2018, 2017) also were the most scouted/evaluated positions.

so one third of teams dont run a modern offense every year

which ones get the memo in the offseason

We've finished bottom 5 in passing offense about as many times as we've finished in the 5-10 range. I doubt you will find 5 franchises over the last 20 years who have had less production from their QB than the Titans have. And the ones that do, are notoriously poor and drafting/developing QBs (Bears, Browns, Jets,, etc).

Even when we had Tanne playing well in 2019 and 2020, we were among the bottom 5 in pass attempts both seasons. And we finished 20th in passing yards in 2019 and 22nd in passing yards in 2020. And these were the most impressive seasons by a Titans QB since McNair's MVP season.

If you can't understand how sad that is, there is something wrong with you.

We've finished bottom 5 in passing offense about as many times as we've finished in the 5-10 range. I doubt you will find 5 franchises over the last 20 years who have had less production from their QB than the Titans have. And the ones that do, are notoriously poor and drafting/developing QBs (Bears, Browns, Jets,, etc).

Even when we had Tanne playing well in 2019 and 2020, we were among the bottom 5 in pass attempts both seasons. And we finished 20th in passing yards in 2019 and 22nd in passing yards in 2020. And these were the most impressive seasons by a Titans QB since McNair's MVP season.

If you can't understand how sad that is, there is something wrong with you.
Amazing they reached the AFCCG, the playoffs, and a #1 AFC seed with such a terrible offense.

either it’s not necessary or NOT passing the most is arguably effective.

Latest posts

Back