Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

So a “modern offense” is determined after the season is over?
As long as the team doesn’t finish bottom 10 in passing, they’re “modern” but if they do, they’re not “modern”?

We're talking about trends here. Don't be coy.

The NFL is a pass heavy league now. Among the 4k yard seasons in the history of the sport, about 80-90% of them have happened in the last 20 years.

We're talking about trends here. Don't be coy.

The NFL is a pass heavy league now. Among the 4k yard seasons in the history of the sport, about 80-90% of them have happened in the last 20 years.
I get the over the top want for a passing offense. I don’t have any issue moving to that approach.
My point was it is not “necessary” as the team has had success and shown capable of putting a SB caliber team together without a 4K passer.
Titans have been among the best and beaten the best with what people argue is outdated. it’s fine to argue that but you can’t revise the success it had even “today”.

Amazing they reached the AFCCG, the playoffs, and a #1 AFC seed with such a terrible offense.

either it’s not necessary or NOT passing the most is arguably effective.

The offense was so great with that no.1 seed team that everyone wanted Downing fired immediately. Good call there.....

We have pivoted HEAVILY from the last regime and people still are trying to defend our offensive play style under Vrabel, lmao.

The offense was so great with that no.1 seed team that everyone wanted Downing fired immediately. Good call there.....

We have pivoted HEAVILY from the last regime and people still are trying to defend our offensive play style under Vrabel, lmao.
It’s almost like you just made the argument that the titans were super successful with an “outdated” offense despite a s**t OC. It’s almost like if they had a more competent OC, probably could have gone a lot farther despite not having a 4K QB.
Appreciate the acknowledgement and agreement.

I get the over the top want for a passing offense. I don’t have any issue moving to that approach.
My point was it is not “necessary” as the team has had success and shown capable of putting a SB caliber team together without a 4K passer.
Titans have been among the best and beaten the best with what people argue is outdated. it’s fine to argue that but you can’t revise the success it had even “today”.

We have 3 playoff wins and 6 playoff appearances in 20 years. Yet we've finished near the top in rushing most of the seasons and we generally have had a good defense over this span. It doesn;t seem awfully successful to me.

Can you build a SB caliber team without a good passing offense? Sure. Every now and then everything aligns. But it's really hard to sustain that success without an effective passing game.

Meanwhile, SB winning teams routinely don't have a RB that finished within the top 10 of rushing.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s almost like you just made the argument that the titans were super successful with an “outdated” offense despite a s**t OC. It’s almost like if they had a more competent OC, probably could have gone a lot farther despite not having a 4K QB.
Appreciate the acknowledgement and agreement.

So was the offense good with a shitty OC? Clearly if it was good, then he wasn't a shitty OC?

So was the offense good with a ****** OC? Clearly if it was good, then he wasn't a ****** OC?
You can make the argument.

I know plenty like myself that see key instances that made him a bad OC but he seemed to inherit the overall scheme through Vrabel.

those key instances held the team back. A certain playoff game in 21’ was a prime example.

Or may be, and hear me out...

Maybe an offense that doesn't score a lot of points and/or doesn't have a lot of yards simply isn't a very good offense?

We have 3 playoff wins and 6 playoff appearances in 20 years. Yet we've finished near the top in rushing most of the seasons and we generally have had a good defense over this span. It doesn;t seem awfully successful to me.

Can you build a SB caliber team without a good passing offense? Sure. Every now and then everything aligns. But it's really hard to sustain that success without an effective passing game.

Meanwhile, SB winning teams routinely don't have a RB that finished within the top 10 of rushing.
remember when eegles were throwing the rock all over the place when the weather was good last year.... totally Owl'd it... oh... nevermind

Or may be, and hear me out...

Maybe an offense that doesn't score a lot of points and/or doesn't have a lot of yards simply isn't a very good offense?

Vrable got a 139.75 by punting on 4th and 2 from the 40 with 10:02 left in 4Q down by 4 points if my maths are correct - one of the saddest punts in the history of the NFL and in a PO game!

The team was successful. Being 6th in total defense seems like a bigger contributor.
That’s kind of the goal, no? For the TEAM to be successful. There are many ways to do that. We are, now, trying a different way. Doesn’t mean it will work, but it’s different from what we have been doing.

As long as we win that Owl, I could care less how we do it. I would bet that it’s gonna take a solid D to make it happen though

6 playoff appearances in 20 years. Offenses consistently ranked in the bottom of the league.

But sure, the way we have done things totally works.....

6 playoff appearances in 20 years. Offenses consistently ranked in the bottom of the league.

Those 6 appearances over that period puts TN right in the middle of the league.

is it offensive strategy? Or were there other factors? Maybe even bigger factors like players on the field?

Ranked 13th in wins since 2000. It worked better than what most other teams have done.

DISCLAIMER!!!!! I’m not saying that I’m satisfied with no Lombardi trophies, as a fan. It is important, though, to actually be fair when criticizing the way the Titans have operated. We are objectively more successful than the majority of the league. We need Butch Jones to come up with an inspiring slogan for that.

Ranked 13th in wins since 2000. It worked better than what most other teams have done.

DISCLAIMER!!!!! I’m not saying that I’m satisfied with no Lombardi trophies, as a fan. It is important, though, to actually be fair when criticizing the way the Titans have operated. We are objectively more successful than the majority of the league. We need Butch Jones to come up with an inspiring slogan for that.

A philosophy that works well to beat inferior teams and get to the playoffs is not necessarily the one that will put you over the top. We seemed to have several really good teams since 2019, but we just couldn't get past the really good teams without scoring more.

I think that's probably the thought process.

A philosophy that works well to beat inferior teams and get to the playoffs is not necessarily the one that will put you over the top. We seemed to have several really good teams since 2019, but we just couldn't get past the really good teams without scoring more.

I think that's probably the thought process.
Could be. I’d say the problem was not being able to beat inferior teams in the playoffs. Anyway, it’s time for a change. Hopefully it works.

Latest posts

Back